November 2011 Member Aquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
Melbourne Cup threw me out - plus I had a nice (almost free) night out last night, so apologies for the delay.

Nothing inbound that this time for me. :wacko:

My brushes from October (thread got closed)

The big one is my $3.00 Chonese job and the smaller the Omega traveller

Attachments

• Pentax razors 012.jpg
    Pentax razors 012.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Pentax razors 011.jpg
    Pentax razors 011.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 11
Have you tried the biggun yet? It looks scritchy, let me know how it is.

Have you tried the biggun yet? It looks scritchy, let me know how it is.

Not at al scritchy would put it on par with the Omega. For my tastes anything softer and I might as well be lathering with a wet tissue - I like the fact I can "feel" both brushes.

Ever-Ready 1912

Finally got a 1912 after a WTB on B&B was answered in under an hour. First shave with it this morning: great. Second shave this evening: not so great. I play indoor soccer on Thursday nights and often shave after the game since I'm showering anyway. It rarely works out well.

Anyway...provided I rediscover my 1912 mojo, it's got clear potential to become my favourite razor.

Another SE dude! There's a few of us here. Shaving twice a day is pretty good going there, nosedog. You allright for blades?

A WTB on B&B? They're everywhere in australia, unloved and forgotten.
No reason to look hard unless you are after rarer older USA or UK versions.
I haven't checked you location before this reply, but if local I would have dropped one off to you.
Is the best place to get SE blades still banned on B&B?

I started off on the 1912, but prefer the LC or MM clog-pruf these days.

Another SE dude! There's a few of us here. Shaving twice a day is pretty good going there, nosedog. You allright for blades?

Quite all right. 100 now, 50 on their way!

A WTB on B&B? They're everywhere in australia, unloved and forgotten.
No reason to look hard unless you are after rarer older USA or UK versions.
I haven't checked you location before this reply, but if local I would have dropped one off to you.
Is the best place to get SE blades still banned on B&B?

I started off on the 1912, but prefer the LC or MM clog-pruf these days.

I'd like to try a LC (no hurry though) and have a MM which I find a bit bitey and scrapey. In time...

Still banned, yep. I don't know if they ever overturn these things.

It's interesting you say "they're everywhere in Australia". Where?

Remind me again, I remember you had a 830 that you tried to revive. Did you get rid of that one, and buy another 830 and now want to get rid of that one as it's no good after a few months again?

A quick search here seems like everyone has got an 830 except me. Are you all having problems with them?
I still like my 1305 for what it is ( a smaller softer boar) and my SOC is still firm and great for hard soaps and getting lots of lather.
The only brushes I own that are useless is the men-u I got when starting out (doesn't hold much lather at all) and the EJ best badger medium I bought soon after starting out which is just too soft and floppy now for soaps.

So I use the 1305, SOC, simpson commodore, and occasionally that kent boar that seems to only use a few hairs per use after dropping some selleys glue in it. If that brush wasn't a shedder, I'd recommend it for people that want a small boar with backbone, but isn't scratchy after break in. It does lather up great and hold a fair bit of lather for it's size even though the handle and construction leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe someone could find out the source for the knots Kent used, and make their own brush?

Last edited:
.......Still banned, yep. I don't know if they ever overturn these things. It's interesting you say "they're everywhere in Australia". Where?

Join the throng. I jumped before I got pushed.

There's generally the odd one on e-bay in Australia but I think getting it from B&B was probably the easiest way to go. I could have sold you a fat handled 1912 cheap. It's strange, I don't tend to use 1912s too much. They're great looking razors but I have a rotation involving a Featherweight then going to the Bullet Tip/Clog Pruf or the Streamline. Not much else gets a look in. Which MM have you got?

'Throng'? It's only you and drubbing isn't it?
I was asking him if connaught was still banned, that's what he was replying about, Nosedog isn't banned from there.

Nosedog, Did you get your 1912 via B&B from a US or AU seller?

Pjotr, I'm the same, have heaps of 1912s, that's my introduction to SE and I got whatever was cheap, so ended up with 6 - 8 of them, but hardly use them. If I do, it's the damaskeene model, but mostly it's the MM CP or the LC.
Nosedog, the MM is bitey and scrapey. But I need it and can live with it. My skin is really tough so doesn't mind, my stubble is super strong, so needs more agressiveness and a 1912 is too gentle and leaves rough patches unless a heap of buffing done.

Last edited:
'Throng'? It's only you and drubbing isn't it?
I was asking him if connaught was still banned, that's what he was replying about, Nosedog isn't banned from there.

Pjotr, I'm the same, have heaps of 1912s, that's my introduction to SE and I got whatever was cheap, so ended up with 6 - 8 of them, but hardly use them. If I do, it's the damaskeene model, but mostly it's the MM CP or the LC.
Nosedog, the MM is bitey and scrapey. But I need it and can live with it. My skin is really tough so doesn't mind, my stubble is super strong, so needs more agressiveness and a 1912 is too gentle and leaves rough patches unless a heap of buffing done.

Well maybe not a throng but a sizeable section of forum regulars nonetheless. Well, two of us. That's almost a throng.

I'm assuming the MM is the dreaded MMOC. I'm sure it was designed originally as a surgical instrument or for skinning rabbits. The Bullet Tip has a pretty mild head but that is countered by it's hefty weight and the pressure you naturally get with it. It's sort of counterintuative, using more pressure with a mild head but it works for me. The CP is also one of my favorites. A lot more aggressive but used with a bit of caution and with a second or third shave blade there's not a better razor.

A beautiful little LC just sold on e-bay recently. Went for $100 odd. Way too much for me but if you consider that it was probably made when King Gillette was still filling his nappies it's not that expensive compared to the earliest DEs out there.

Last edited:
Yeah my LC pictured in the SE thread was the last model circa 1911, pretty sure it was the most expensive razor I bought, I may have paid $50-70 for it including postage. Next most expensive was the british GEM 1912 with stropper and strop in bakelite case circa 1950s. That was from australia though, because like I sad, a lot of british made stuff was offloaded here back in the day, so heaps of SE razors around.
. Everything else, including fatboys, slims, rockets etc I haven't paid more than $30pp

Last edited:
There's generally the odd one on e-bay in Australia but I think getting it from B&B was probably the easiest way to go. I could have sold you a fat handled 1912 cheap. It's strange, I don't tend to use 1912s too much. They're great looking razors but I have a rotation involving a Featherweight then going to the Bullet Tip/Clog Pruf or the Streamline. Not much else gets a look in. Which MM have you got?

I don't like the fat-handled ones. But I've only seen them in photos, not in person, and there's a world of difference.

I have the infamous MMOC, piffed from bjh612 on B&B (GSL). I've given it one or two goes and will wait until I've mastered the 1912 before trying it again.

(I didn't know until a few days ago that there were different kinds of MMs.)

Connaught is a great vendor to my mind. I wasn't around when they got banned. But they're not filtered!

AU (Melbourne), sold for $25 incl five blades and shipping. It's in good nick with only minor scratches.

... a 1912 is too gentle and leaves rough patches unless a heap of buffing done.

That's hard for me to believe at the moment!

Sorry for getting the thread off-topic with all this 1912 stuff...

I don't like the fat-handled ones. But I've only seen them in photos, not in person, and there's a world of difference.

I have the infamous MMOC, piffed from bjh612 on B&B (GSL). I've given it one or two goes and will wait until I've mastered the 1912 before trying it again.

I will go further off topic - what is an MM and MMOC and a 1912? I did suggets we needed jargin WIKI at some stage....

Glen (the one with the curiousity)
Connaught is a great vendor to my mind. I wasn't around when they got banned. But they're not filtered!

Pab. i gave my 830 to Minorci, and he responded to my magnanimous gesture by trashing it and putting up pictures. I'm still recovering.

Vintage Scent sent me another one and said something was odd about the first. It wasn't, they're just soft brushes. Too soft for a boar for me.

Connaught used to be banned and filtered, now they're just banned IIRC. They must had done something truly terrible, like sell more product than some of the other more loved vendors...

Don't bother, even I can't use the open comb MM. The safety bar version of the MM, the clog-pruf, is what I use. Like pjotr said, I like the weight and length of it over the 1912.

Connaught used to be filtered and that pissed me off, there I was looking for SE blades when starting out, and the pricks that ran B&B didn't give a crap about us SE users, filtered connaught because of some petty stuff.
No one could tell me where to buy blades as even in private messaging it was filtered!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.