November 2011 Member Aquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you've dropped a few WTB items. Only two more to go. What happens after that? Surely the collector in you will find something. Alternatively you could just become a crack dealer on the streets of Canberra. More profitable.

Only two more in the sig (well plus a Double Ring in the Litho Tin I suppose) BUT:

1. there are a couple of others I've not gotten around to getting (such as the gold plated HD Rocket (not the anodised aluminium one)

2. The last bottom dial sold on eBay for $1800+ and NOBODY has every seen a gold plated Double Ring - just the advert!

I have been looking longingly at some nice vintage brushes lately.......

.........I have been looking longingly at some nice vintage brushes lately.......

It's a worry isn't it? You'll have to account for reknotting them though. Bought a little cheapy no name brush recently and I just pulled the knot out. I wanted it to just pull out 'cause I'm reknotting it anyhow but if you've bought an original butterscotched Simpson and the knot falls out on it's first use you could be slightly pissed. You get some nice ones on B&B occasionally.

It's a worry isn't it? You'll have to account for reknotting them though. Bought a little cheapy no name brush recently and I just pulled the knot out. I wanted it to just pull out 'cause I'm reknotting it anyhow but if you've bought an original butterscotched Simpson and the knot falls out on it's first use you could be slightly pissed. You get some nice ones on B&B occasionally.

There are a few on eBay at the moment that look very nice but they want more than I'm prepared to pay taking the re-knotting into account. I also wouldn't know what to do with lots of brushes! :wacko:

Last edited:
There are a few on eBay at the moment that look very nice but they want more than I'm prepared to pay taking the re-knotting into account. I also wouldn't know whta to do with lots of brushes! :wacko:

The same as you do with 215 razors?

I use mine. Or try to. The fuckers keep breeding like tribbles.

Easy! You use them. A different one for every shave. 215 Razors and only a couple of brushes? You know that makes no sense.

Now wouldn't that be a sight to see. Marks collection of razors each with its own brush beside it and of course its own special blades - people would probably pay money to see this.
Cmon Mark you've got all the razors now start to team them up.

Easy! You use them. A different one for every shave. 215 Razors and only a couple of brushes? You know that makes no sense.

LOL, thanks Sam. I know that it makes no sense at one level but you can only fit so many on the vanity at one time. The two I have (three with the MC after Christmas) should be P-L-E-N-T-Y .

The same as you do with 215 razors?

I use mine. Or try to. The fuckers keep breeding like tribbles.

But how would they be any different when all re-knotted with a TGN knot?

Now wouldn't that be a sight to see. Marks collection of razors each with its own brush beside it and of course its own special blades - people would probably pay money to see this.
Cmon Mark you've got all the razors now start to team them up.

I suppose I should confess that I DO have a FEW vintage brushes already in Traveller sets. It would be kinda cool though having the cased razor with shipper and a period brush with the original period advertisement in the background.....

Looks like poor old Mark's got half a dozen crack dealers whispering in his ears..

I was strong though. I resisted these and let them slip through to the keeper. Very nice pair of brushes though, hmmmm.

......But how would they be any different when all re-knotted with a TGN knot?

That of course is the problem. But then Simpsons don't have that many different knots either. Haven't yet found the TGN knot to end all TGN knots. Their finest is the best I've used so far. Very soft but then many would consider that total luxury.

I suppose I should confess that I DO have a FEW vintage brushes already in Traveller sets..........

I saw the last one you acquired. A very nice little brush. Right up my alley. If it needs it you could re-knot that with a 16mm TGN finest but then the set wouldn't be original anymore. Having said that I do think knots are a bit like razor blades, you dispose of them when they're worn out.

I was strong though. I resisted these and let them slip through to the keeper. Very nice pair of brushes though, hmmmm.

That is a very nice pair of brushes. They didn't really go for a lot given that butterscotch (a sexy word for nothing more than nicely degraded plastic) is a thing brush freaks are always on the look out for. The marbelised one in particular is very nice.

In exactly the same way a Tech in user, VGC, and collector grade is, and you couldn't resist a swag of those...

True but I'm sure that if brush manufacturers had decent records of when particular models were produced, used date codes like Gillette and brushes were made of a more durable material, collectors would be all over them like a rash. But then brushes were and are utilitarian tools that you just chuck after they're worn out. Five years of daily use and any brush will show signs of ageing. All this re-storing and collecting of brushes is a bit crazy really.

Status
Not open for further replies.