November 2020 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The R95 is a really sexy razor and even caught the misses eye :unsure:

A quick check shows my R95 & R96 as CNC V4 heads and from memory my now old mans R94 is also a CNC V4 head.
All purchased this year from reputable sellers but from closer inspection it appears the safety bar is ever so thinner in the R95 compared to R96 from side on!?
Even had the misses check and everything looks identical but she can also see a tiny difference.
I'm not expecting any difference in shaves as @StratMan can attest to and judging by todays regrowth its holding up 12+ hrs later but not as close as the Wizamet.
As @Mark1966 has mentioned once or twice you really need to get yourself the R96... ;)

IMG-20201105-171524.jpg

Congratulations mate looks killer.. they should have identical heads and shave the same.. it’s easy to see if they are V4.. if the base plate looks the same on the inside they are both V4, the v3 and rest look quite different

@Razor Burn sorry mate my bad, the V4 and v3 heads do look the same but you can tell by the post on the head as per the pics in this post

Head difference
No need to apologies mate as I made sure to refer to pics online and confirm that everything indicates V4 heads for all my Roccas.

Just my OCD kicking in as so far the R94 & R96 have shaved great with performance mainly coming down to blades as the Astra Blues went solid for regrowth but didn't feel as buttery smooth as when using Wizamets.

After a few shaves I'd rate Astra feeling like Karve D plate for blade feel/closeness but not as long lasting
Nacet feels like the R41 but not as bitey with patchy regrowth
Wizamet feels smooth like R89 but closer than R41... Interesting how one razor paired with different blades can vary its shaves!

You'll have to break out the digital calipers to satisfy curiosity if an optical illusion or truly different
Yeah I'll need to invest in some calipers eventually. :)

oxmkWKtl.jpg

Didn't think I'd find the VB in the Dubbo Chemist Warehouse but thought I'd pop in anyway and they still have dozen bottles left if you're looking for some.
Coupl'a RazoRock Boar brushes for stock, some Treet Carbon Blacks and some Bolzano blades 'cause it's always nice to have something coming in the mail.:)

You'll have to break out the digital calipers to satisfy curiosity if an optical illusion or truly different
I know they're not so trendy anymore, but the older-style vernier caliper is at least as good, and you don't have to keep replacing those damn batteries which seem to go flat remarkably quickly. And you never have to worry about whether or not your zero-point has slipped. Or you could go one better and get a proper micrometer for better accuracy. These can be surprisingly inexpensive if you're not looking for top brands.

I know they're not so trendy anymore, but the older-style vernier caliper is at least as good, and you don't have to keep replacing those damn batteries which seem to go flat remarkably quickly. And you never have to worry about whether or not your zero-point has slipped. Or you could go one better and get a proper micrometer for better accuracy. These can be surprisingly inexpensive if you're not looking for top brands.
Agreed, I was gifted a free set and have to change the battery every time I go to use them

SFnp5wb.jpg

So, this has a story. First order from Maggards. Picked up the brush to split the overseas shipping up a bit. 26mm Plisson knot is basically Yaqi.

I had pre-ordered it back in September, thinking the scent notes sounded 'cool' and previous versions reviewed very well, so I thought, why not? Especially since I was desperate to try the BM Soft Heart base. Well, it finally arrived and to be honest, I wasn't too enamored with the scent. Off the puck, it smelled like spicy peanut butter. When I lathered it, all I got was satay sauce smoked over incense sticks. Ugh. I've only shaved with it once, and was seriously thinking of taking a loss and punting it on buy/sell. I mean, Soft Heart is excellent. I think it exceeds Excelsior and is on par with DG Milksteak (my top choice base). But, I'm struggling through the shave itself and feel like I've just had bad Thai BBQ afterwards.

Well, the girlfriend asked if she could smell it first. And, she doesn't mind it. She's got her nose in the puck, huffing away, and tells me that it doesn't smell like satay at all. She recommends I keep it a while longer and just see if the scent will grow on me. Great. Of course, she hates my beloved SW Gravefruit, so I haven't shaved with that since I got it either. Might as well start shaving with water at this rate.

Yeah looking around for a set and its nearly impossible to decide as most of the reviews are mixed for the budget ones and I struggle to justify paying over $100 for an item I'll only ever use a handful of times.

SFnp5wb.jpg

So, this has a story. First order from Maggards. Picked up the brush to split the overseas shipping up a bit. 26mm Plisson knot is basically Yaqi.

I had pre-ordered it back in September, thinking the scent notes sounded 'cool' and previous versions reviewed very well, so I thought, why not? Especially since I was desperate to try the BM Soft Heart base. Well, it finally arrived and to be honest, I wasn't too enamored with the scent. Off the puck, it smelled like spicy peanut butter. When I lathered it, all I got was satay sauce smoked over incense sticks. Ugh. I've only shaved with it once, and was seriously thinking of taking a loss and punting it on buy/sell. I mean, Soft Heart is excellent. I think it exceeds Excelsior and is on par with DG Milksteak (my top choice base). But, I'm struggling through the shave itself and feel like I've just had bad Thai BBQ afterwards.

Well, the girlfriend asked if she could smell it first. And, she doesn't mind it. She's got her nose in the puck, huffing away, and tells me that it doesn't smell like satay at all. She recommends I keep it a while longer and just see if the scent will grow on me. Great. Of course, she hates my beloved SW Gravefruit, so I haven't shaved with that since I got it either. Might as well start shaving with water at this rate.

Your GF is right.

Stick with it. Hallows has a very dark scent profile. Keep on shaving with it. After about 1/2 dozen shaves you will start asking yourself what the particular scents are in the soap. You will start comparing those scents you smell to other soaps you have, and a growing appreciatation will occur. Over time your nose will become like a fine instrument and your indetification of indivual scents will get better and better. Before you know it, you will end up hooked on soaps.

Personally I would never where a cologne of Hallows, although I sure appreciate the scent notes and the great lather it produces, which of course goes part way to enjoying your shave.

Today is a good day.

brush.png

A truly sumptuous 30mm Snow Leopard knot in custom Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" handle. The photo does not do it justice. @Irish has outdone himself again. He came up with the name, but I had already been thinking along similar lines: great minds think alike (and fools never differ)...

This blade is very tugging on my stubble no matter which razor I have in my den instead of the R94, I can’t be bloody bothered testing this blade with my R94.
I used the Lab Blues ages ago and they shaved great then so here's hoping they pair well otherwise I'll happily use them in my other razors.

Status
Not open for further replies.