Occams Lime

Pjotr

Cultured Philistine
2016 Sabbatical
Let's call this a review, shall we.

I've managed, ahead of the container load otherwise known as the Traveling Box, to acquire a sample of Occams Lime courtesy of @Occams via @Mark1966. If nothing else it saves me the ignominy of having to rifle through a truckload of gear to find the only item I'm really after.

Ever since I had a sample of a lime cream from @JugV2 I've been on the lookout for a similar product. I love citrus scent and to prove that, am a founding member of the ARKO!!!! fanboy club.

Occams Lime has a fantastic fresh lemon/lime scent. More of a powerful rind/oily scent rather than a squeeze of juice if that makes sense. In the words of Jugster it's like a lemon/lime icy pole and if you use different soaps in summer or winter, this is definitely a summer one.

The lather is great, cushioning, smooth, you name it and it's very economical. The latter is way down on my list of desirable attributes as I'm still desperately trying to finish something before I buy another. Having said that this one will be the first on my list of soaps to get.

Great review!

I've resisted the lime to date - but have tried the Original and would concur on its efficacy

You know what resistance is ?

Wow. I'm not a cream man myself but this sounds great!

It's good stuff. Creams in general are usually pretty fragrant. More so than hard soaps I think.

Looking forward to checking these out in the Travelling Box, and it's especially nice to see an Aussie artisan putting out a great product.

Can anyone describe the smell of the Original?

No - it is familiar, I've smelt something like it before, but cannot name or really describe it :(

Where is @Occams - he should be able to!

Wow. Tough choice to make: lime or masala chai...
Life is full of hard decisions!

Marsala Chai? Oh darn it why am I last in the Travelling Box queue? Hope I can wait otherwise I'm buying my own. Do you rate it @Mark1966 ?

Marsala Chai - I have no idea what that is - but it does smell good!

How do I rate it? 8-9/10 :)

Is this rating just to the nose or to the brush and the face?

Gee whiz - don't want to steal the thunder from the travelling box! - it is good :)

Thanks to @filobiblic I got to sample of Occams Crushed Lime Cream. I have never used an Occams soap/cream before but was looking forward to this after reading so many good reports on this forum. I believe it to be more of a soft soap rather than a cream. Nothing to add to everybody else's thoughts here. I have used this soap 3 times now and each use was fantastic.

Scent
You know this is lime scented. No subtle, layered waft of a complex scent - it's in your face citrus, very pleasant if lime is your thing. Not mine but still pleasing.

Lather
I was using a badger that had been soaking in cold water. Loaded the brush from my wooden bowl. Looked to be ample loaded in 15-20 seconds so I commenced face lathering. Appeared a little dry so I dipped the very tip of the badger in the cold water and BANG. Lather everywhere. Thick, creamy and fantastic consistency. After 3 passes there was still enough for 2-3 more passes. Cannot fault the latherability of this soap.

Proof is in the pudding
My razor was my 5/8 straight and this soap/razor combination worked well. No irritation, no dragging and one slight nick on my neck when I didn't stretch the skin enough. My own fault; definitely not the soap. This soap is up among the best I've used.

Overall
Though impressed with the effectiveness of the soap I'm not really taken by the citrus scent. If limes are your thing this soap is calling your name. Would I use this soap again? Yes, yes and yes again. As a shave-aid this is fantastic. But in my regular rotation? Nah, I will try another Occams with different scent for a regular rotation spot however. A big plus for an Aussie artisan.

Though impressed with the effectiveness of the soap I'm not really taken by the citrus scent. If limes are your thing this soap is calling your name. Would I use this soap again? Yes, yes and yes again. As a shave-aid this is fantastic. But in my regular rotation? Nah, I will try another Occams with different scent for a regular rotation spot however. A big plus for an Aussie artisan.
This is precisely why many go for the original scent - I think @eggbert is one of these too. All the goodness with a better scent.

Great review BTW!

Top review @Dale.Whiley

There's currently only two scents: crushed lime and original. The scent on the original can either be described as light chai tea, or as coke cola. I think @Occams is working on another scent or two.

I describe it as jerk chicken as it has a strong allspice scent, and that is the main flavouring spice in the West Indian favourite.