October 2011 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, yep, in the watch list :)

It is a CFM sale so will go for a small fortune! :sad2:

That was fun. Ghoulishly watched the end of the bidding. Four people trying to outsnipe each other and the price went from $140 to $287 in 5 sec. My screen almost froze. E-bay couldn't keep up with it.

A know it's a collectors item but that's a lot of money for an unremarkable looking open comb with a shitty box. An ABC I can sort of imagine because I think they look spectactular. Don't tell me you bought it Mark! Collecting....it's a bit like being hooked on crack I imagine.

That was fun. Ghoulishly watched the end of the bidding. Four people trying to outsnipe each other and the price went from $140 to $287 in 5 sec. My screen almost froze. E-bay couldn't keep up with it.

I was the fourth on this one - more than $100 behind. Now if it had of REALLY been a 1904 (there was a note correcting the listing) with Pat App For it WOULD have been mine.

A know it's a collectors item but that's a lot of money for an unremarkable looking open comb with a shitty box. An ABC I can sort of imagine because I think they look spectactular. Don't tell me you bought it Mark! Collecting....it's a bit like being hooked on crack I imagine.

There is something special about having a piece of history like this. I have a 1904 and 1905. Using a razor that old you can't help thinking what life was like when it was FIRST used in 1905 (see here for example).

I have some history for a couple of my razors - kinda cool.

Back on topic, a VERY quite month so far:

Gillette #21 uncased
Gillette British Single Ring
Gillette Single Ring
Gilllette 1958 (D3) Fatboy Cased
Gillette Aristocrat Junior
Gillette ABC Empire Set with bent handle

Using a razor that old you can't help thinking what life was like when it was FIRST used in 1905

High infant mortality
Einstein and Freud published papers on physics and psychology respectively. Both were considered nutters.
Anyone who had a car was a gazzillionaire
kids finished school at 12. Unless you were wealthy and influential.
You had one job for life working 60+ hours a week. If you were lucky.
Avg life expectancy 47 years.
The same soap that washed the floor, washed the family. Once a week. In cold water.
Shaving sucked. Cuts were common. Men grew beards.

......There is something special about having a piece of history like this. I have a 1904 and 1905. Using a razor that old you can't help thinking what life was like when it was FIRST used in 1905.......

Having worked as an old fashioned shipwright in England for ten years I do understand that. A lot of my tools are probably of that age or were designed way before Noah had a go.

Back on topic, I've got some blades arriving courtesy of RM and a stick of Erasmic courtesy of Hunnymonsta via Drubbing some time when the boat turns up. Not quite as exciting as your haul but better than my usual empty monthly basket.

A pillar of Personna Platinums (I think) from someone on Overclockers.

Just a trade not a purchase.

Well the month has turned a little :D

A lovely 1923 Traveller set engraved with the original owners initials AND with the original receipt. I can't wait till it arrives

That's a beautiful set. Nice to know the history too.

Thanks mate. I probably paid a little OTT but hey, it is only money (unless it is my wife buying stuff)!

Just allowing for inflation, you paid under it's new cost. Weren't those sets $25 back then? Which is over $300 now adjusted for inflation.
I love the NEW Improved razor too, nicer and actually more usable these days compared the the OLD double ring and single ring that everyone goes crazy about. It's not like the gillette was the first safety razor. Better to get a good gillette than the first Gillette.

Last edited:
Just allowing for inflation, you paid under it's new cost. Weren't those sets $25 back then? Which is over $300 now adjusted for inflation.
I love the NEW Improved razor too, nicer and actually more usable these days compared the the OLD double ring and single ring that everyone goes crazy about. It's not like the gillette was the first safety razor. Better to get a good gillette than the first Gillette.

Nice thought but this advert indicates $7.50 but the engraving would be on top of that. I suppose I'll find out exactly when I get the receipt :p

The stash is here

At last it is in my hot little hands - 18 razors a few blades and a $2.00 "silver tip badger" brush.

As some pointed out during my buying frenzy, I have ended up with a few duplicates but what the hell, now I be as kind to newbies as you lot have been to me.

I will atempt to do some photography on the weekend and seek your valued opinions. I am especially curious to hear of any thoughts on the brush (not that a photo will mean much) but it definetely looks and feels rather nice but I shall have to add some water to it and see how it foams up, but I am hoping it will turn into another Omega traveller type brush.

Only got one dud - the head and stem have parted - never to meet again so I shall give that a proper burial. Gotta go time for the first Fat Boy shave.

Glen (only a little excited)

18 jeebus!

I thought I was getting carried away with three this month.

The CC is firmly back in the wallet until Xmas now. Picked up a nice looking slim today.

18 jeebus!

I thought I was getting carried away with three this month.

Thats 18 over a period of some months - theey have been accumlating at my sons house in St Louis to avoid the horrendous postage some of the US people put on their stuff. He finally got around to putting it altogether and shipping.

Glen (18 razors in one month = divorce)

Thats 18 over a period of some months - theey have been accumlating at my sons house in St Louis to avoid the horrendous postage some of the US people put on their stuff. He finally got around to putting it altogether and shipping.

Glen (18 razors in one month = divorce)

Nice one! Let us know how that Fatboy goes :)

Photos of the October goodies

If this all works I have 3 flare tips to PIF and one Schick DE black handle (if anyone is interested. First in best dressed.
Pentax razors 001.jpgPentax razors 009.jpgPentax razors 005.jpgPentax razors 004.jpgPentax razors 010.jpg

Oops ran into the 5 attachments per post anyway I will put the rest up on another post. This has the flaretips if anyone is interested

Status
Not open for further replies.