October 2020 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s about bloody time, mail called today.

I will use the R94 v4.0 until I’ve finished with the EJ 3one6 when the Voskhod blade dies down

7-C5-F4356-D9-FC-4-D3-F-9557-882-EE575-D776.jpg

Congrats !!! look forward to the comparison against the 3one6

I have four different models of Titan SR's. All take a very good edge and shave particularly well. Where they tend to differ most is in edge retention and oxidisation resistance.

ACRM-2 T.H.60 is easiest to hone but you have to be careful to prevent oxidisation, just like a normal high carbon steel SR.

VG10-HZ T.H.63 is harder steel but has better oxidisation resistance.

ACRO T.H.64 (your SR) is just a little harder but has much better oxidisation resistance

ACRO T.H.70 is their hardest SR so takes more effort to hone but holds its edge the best. It has the same oxidisation resistance as the T.H.64.

The included dual leather and denim strop works well, particularly after it has been broken in. It's a little short but an acceptable width. It also makes a great traveling strop.

Once you have the edge to your liking, for the T.H.64 I suggest about 80 laps on the clean leather stop before each shave. If not maintaining with a 0.1um diamond pasted balsa strop, that SR should be good for about 100 to 150 shaves before the edge will need refreshing again with honing.

I know nothing about the paste that comes with the strop as I am not a user of pastes on flexible strops.
Thanks for that, and the clarity on the models. It wasn't that easy distinguishing between models on the Aliexpress site.

I'm gad that you bought it through AliExpress (about AUD 95). Trendhim.com.au sell exactly the same but without a strop for about AUD 250, although their shipping might be faster.
Scored it for around $68 shipped. Is the quality of the T.H. 70 any better? I saw it for about $114.00
Is there noticeable difference between the T.H. 64 and T.H. 70?

I have four different models of Titan SR's. All take a very good edge and shave particularly well. Where they tend to differ most is in edge retention and oxidisation resistance.

ACRM-2 T.H.60 is easiest to hone but you have to be careful to prevent oxidisation, just like a normal high carbon steel SR.

VG10-HZ T.H.63 is harder steel but has better oxidisation resistance.

ACRO T.H.64 (your SR) is just a little harder but has much better oxidisation resistance

ACRO T.H.70 is their hardest SR so takes more effort to hone but holds its edge the best. It has the same oxidisation resistance as the T.H.64.

The included dual leather and denim strop works well, particularly after it has been broken in. It's a little short but an acceptable width. It also makes a great traveling strop.

Once you have the edge to your liking, for the T.H.64 I suggest about 80 laps on the clean leather stop before each shave. If not maintaining with a 0.1um diamond pasted balsa strop, that SR should be good for about 100 to 150 shaves before the edge will need refreshing again with honing.

I know nothing about the paste that comes with the strop as I am not a user of pastes on flexible strops.
Thanks for the advice, I would have ended up buying the cheapest. A couple of ACRM-2 or VG10-HZ for under $30 if not for this advice
Probably good for practicing honing skills

Scored it for around $68 shipped. Is the quality of the T.H. 70 any better? I saw it for about $114.00
Is there noticeable difference between the T.H. 64 and T.H. 70?
The only difference that I have found, other than heavier scales on the T.H.64, is that the T.H.70 is harder to hone but keeps its edge longer than the T.H.64. Shaving wise I find no difference.

As for quality, the standard is about the same between the two. I prefer the T.H.70 as its scales are all timber while the T.H.64's scales are aluminum alloy with timber overlays (making them heavier).

Last edited:
Excellent weight to it. I like the extra girth of the handle too. It’s also extremely grippy which goes against my normal enjoyment of added girth, where slickness is absolutely paramount! ;););)
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.