Review Ogallala bay rum opinions

Thats true @Rami ...we do have @todras though... scentmeister to the stars:)

Yes but I much rather he spends more of his time giving us more of his apr :)

Another question is demand. For this to be beneficial to the supplier/maker you need to have reasonable quantities, not sure how much would that be.

All I am saying is that it's possible, just needs someone to do the hard yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be viable to import the base fragrance "accord" (prob wrong use of the word) without any alcohol in bulk and dilute with alcohol, Polysorb and then bottle once in Australia?
Would also be much less in terms of shipping as less volume with glass bottles and alcohol weight etc.

That's exactly how you would do it, it is a major trust issue though releasing undiluted perfume base (You could make soaps, perfume, anything if you have the perfume base) and you also need someone on the other end with the technical proficiency to dilute the perfume base and put it into solution precisely as intended - for a commercial operation this would mean some outlay in basic lab kit, glassware, digital scales and quantities of perfumers alcohol along with large quantities of PS-20 as from my experimentation the oils used in Ogallala are very heavy, they typically need 225% of Polysorb-20 to essential oil to get them in solution correctly.

Not something I am even remotely interested in doing btw, I'd rather concentrate on developing fragrances and my own APR range rather than do commercial chemistry or mixing of solutions - quite a boring job tbh.

Sheesh @todras I can tell you have a background in law. V good clear, if slightly verbose communication. [emoji12][emoji106]

I should add too, you would need a proper premises to do the dilution of the perfume and the mixing. Doing a 'backyard' lab would be at best, reckless. I only keep 5 litres of ethanol at any one time as this is the limit for insurance and legality in regard to possession of denatured alcohol in NSW.

There are Council zoning regulations in regard to lab's and mixing and storing large volumes of pure ethanol - you would need 100 litre quantities of the alcohol to break even, then you have the issue of insurance which would be void if you were storing drums of ethanol solution on the premises so you would need a certificate of currency that covered the building, contents and I imagine that would be quite costly.

I have never set up a 'lab' per se, but I do know that the regulatory requirements and the OH&S compliance would necessitate a fair bit of expenditure.

@todras what's the minimum amount of fragrance needed and how much splash would it make?

If I can convince a make to send a small size for example. What's the smallest I can get away with. Maybe take a different non commercial approach? See if it's worth it at all? Maybe a one off group buy sort of thing.

@todras what's the minimum amount of fragrance needed and how much splash would it make?

If I can convince a make to send a small size for example. What's the smallest I can get away with. Maybe take a different non commercial approach? See if it's worth it at all? Maybe a one off group buy sort of thing.
Exactly what I was thinking Rami!
Im not sure whether the maker would part with the base - maybe if we did not put their name on it (in case didn't work out) they might agree?

@todras what's the minimum amount of fragrance needed and how much splash would it make

How long is a piece of string ?

You would need to determine your vol/weight ratio or "how strong do we want the aftershave" first then do the calculations based on that, I covered all this in my DIY Aftershave thread btw.

Most aftershaves are in the range of 2.5% to 6% of total solution, so for example to make 100ml of aftershave at 2% strength you would need 2ml of 'fragrance' then you would need (in the case of ogallala) 4.5ml of polysorbate 20, say 70ml of alcohol, 23ml of witchazel,etc,etc to total 100ml but on a large scale I would do it by weight and thats not something I have the time to explain here but the principal is exactly the same using mg and g rather than Ml.

Thanks @todras, but what I was trying to understand is what is the minimum amount of oils required to handle. I doubt that you will be able to accurately mix 2 ml worth of oil, can you? I think you touched on that in your thread but I can't seem to find it.

That's exactly how you would do it, it is a major trust issue though releasing undiluted perfume base (You could make soaps, perfume, anything if you have the perfume base) and you also need someone on the other end with the technical proficiency to dilute the perfume base and put it into solution precisely as intended - for a commercial operation this would mean some outlay in basic lab kit, glassware, digital scales and quantities of perfumers alcohol along with large quantities of PS-20 as from my experimentation the oils used in Ogallala are very heavy, they typically need 225% of Polysorb-20 to essential oil to get them in solution correctly.

Not something I am even remotely interested in doing btw, I'd rather concentrate on developing fragrances and my own APR range rather than do commercial chemistry or mixing of solutions - quite a boring job tbh.
No I get it @todras - wasn't trying to rope you into anything BTW :)

Thanks @todras, but what I was trying to understand is what is the minimum amount of oils required to handle. I doubt that you will be able to accurately mix 2 ml worth of oil, can you? I think you touched on that in your thread but I can't seem to find it.

Of course I can and I do it regularly, you use 1ml laboratory pipettes that have .250ml gradients, they are $2 for 10 from any lab supply place or even chemists.

You simply measure 2mls using a pipette, the smallest amount of oil you are able to measure using the plastic pipettes is .250ml or 1/4 of a ml. You can buy glass ones that measure right down to .050ml or even .010ml.

If Ogallala sold you their perfume base they would be selling you a product ready to simply dilute into solution, all you would need to do on a basic level is say "I want a 5% strength aftershave so I will use 5ml of their perfume base per 100mls of total solution"

It's that simple :)

Hmm, should be simple enough for @Snooze to get a few mil of oils and make some of his own. He would have to pay a premium though. Maybe he could get around the trust issues by buying v small quantities. I don't think people would make a fuss if you ask for 5 ml and make it worth their while.