Olfactory refinement or scent disapation?

Sxot

Artisan Producer
Today I used an A/S I haven't used since the start of winter. The bottle isn't that old, around 10months. Now here is the thing;

I notice for the first time a strong alcohol smell so begin to wonder; has the scent dissipated exposing the alcohol, or has my nose just improved to the point that now I can pick it out? This A/S never required shaking, it's a homogeneous liquid if that makes any difference. It seems, sitting here only 1 hour later that the scent has lost some of it's longevity too.

Today I used an A/S I haven't used since the start of winter. The bottle isn't that old, around 10months. Now here is the thing;

I notice for the first time a strong alcohol smell so begin to wonder; has the scent dissipated exposing the alcohol, or has my nose just improved to the point that now I can pick it out? This A/S never required shaking, it's a homogeneous liquid if that makes any difference. It seems, sitting here only 1 hour later that the scent has lost some of it's longevity too.

Exposed to sunlight? I believe that can impact scents

Exposed to sunlight? I believe that can impact scents

Good thinking, but no. Lives in a drawer, in the bathroom who's window opens onto a corridor. Now way it has seen even one iota of sunlight. In fact we have a light sensitive night light in that bathroom for the kids. It stays on 24/7. There is never enough natural light to make it switch off.

Good thinking, but no. Lives in a drawer, in the bathroom who's window opens onto a corridor. Now way it has seen even one iota of sunlight. In fact we have a light sensitive night light in that bathroom for the kids. It stays on 24/7. There is never enough natural light to make it switch off.

OK then, you have all I've got - better wait for the experts to come along :)

I'm not the expert you were waiting for btw, but here goes.

Imho there are a number of reasons why this may have occurred (stronger alcohol smell rather than scent) but it all depends on the chemical composition of the solution and the environmental conditions, your discernment as to scents may have improved also, but my money is on hard, real, chemistry playing a role.

If your Aftershave is made from Essential Oils then my thinking is:

Oxidation has occurred due to temperature increase, oxidation in simple terms causes chemicals to rot - it involves electrons and oxidation states and I nominate
@TomG or @alfredus to explain it, in detail... :sleep:

In a bottle of aftershave what in effect happens is that the alcohol expands in the bottle in response to an increase in temperature creating greater atmospheric pressure inside than outside, the alcohol responds by forcing some of the solution out of the bottle through the sealed bottle cap, when the temperature then drops a vacuum is created inside the bottle that sucks air into the solution introducing oxygen. Think of it as the bottle being like a lung, taking air in and out over time.

It is this air that causes oxidation of the organic compounds and over a period of months if the temperature rises and falls time and time again the rate and level of this will increase to a threshold where the organic compounds that impart the scent are in effect all rotting and degrading and therefore losing their smell consequently the alcohol smells stronger and due to less ''scent chemicals'' being present you lose the smell much faster after it's put on your face.

Now all this only applies as far as I am aware to essential oil compounds, it may occur with the aromatic chemicals in fragrance oils (or they may be less stable to begin with) but I have done little to no reading on them as they are not so relevant to my efforts with APR and there is around 5000 of them that all behave differently depending on their structure, etc.

It may also apply to Whisky. Or at least I read that the more air inside the bottle the quicker it degrades. Which is why you need to store them facing up and once it's 3 quarters gone invite people over to finish the rest.

Last edited by a moderator: