OOPS of The Day

gthomas04

...was Drubbing's first. AKA Captain Tightarse
Back Story. I was having trouble burning DVDs to watch - sound was all muddy and generally no good at all. Brilliant thought - I would consult our resident guru an all things electrical,cast iron,sharp and lathery none other than Nick the Knife (whom I am sure has several other expertises up his sleeve awaiting release). Aha sayeth the Nick "Throw away those DVDs and enter the world of WD Live". "By golly by Gosh" Thoughtest I " this man is truly a saviour". and I bought it.

And Fiddle de dee and ipso facto the thing actually worked. Copied some stuff onto a usb drive plugged in the composite cables and upon my screen came moving pictures and sound. Feeling fullof confidence copied some more stuff and may my eyelashes turn to drumsticks and beat my brains out if the lovely pictures didnt reappear but the sound was present by its absence.
No worries thoughtest I in my most confident thoughting voice. I am a technical person I have just misplugged the sound cables.

No bloody way - for 4 days I have been coming home from work and trying different combinations of the red yellow and white cables into the various coloured slots on the TV.

Not a peep not a whisper of sound not even the slightest buzz of static greeted my efforts.

Tonight I tried again. I removed the sound cables from the TV and looked carefully at them - all seemed well. But still no sound.

Then and it was a then gentlemen my eyes were drawn by some mystical force to the tea trolley that sits next to the TV. Sitting upon it like a serpent ready to strike was a length of black cable.
I carefully picked up this object which looked so out of place and traced it to its origins.

It was the other bloody end of the composite sound cable that was not plugged into the WD live box!!! Bit like having a shave and forgetting to put a blade in.

I now have sound and picture but no longer feel that technicaly adept.

That's gold right there.

Gold alright - mainly cause I could imagine doing the same thing myself!

Don't we fixate on things sometimes at the exclusion of the bigger picture, or in this case sound.

Glad you got it going, a less technical person would still be looking!

It comes down to how your brain is wired and how your patterns have developed for problem solving over the years.

Women work off emotion and men tend to work off logic. Eventually Glen you would have had a logical approach to the problem and done some research or asked someone and solved it.

If you were a woman, you would just whinge to everyone about how hard technology is and how you just "don't get it". Then ask a man to fix it for you.

It comes down to how your brain is wired and how your patterns have developed for problem solving over the years.

Women work off emotion and men tend to work off logic. Eventually Glen you would have had a logical approach to the problem and done some research or asked someone and solved it.

If you were a woman, you would just whinge to everyone about how hard technology is and how you just "don't get it". Then ask a man to fix it for you.

Them fighting words!

Glenno, make sure you upgrade that composite cable to atleast a nasty HDMI one (I know you were ordering but not sure if they're arrived yet)....composite is almost the bottom of the barrel and definitely significantly degrades the picture quality you WDTV will be putting out. This definitely isn't one of those placebo cable upgrades, is a big difference. :)

Glenno, make sure you upgrade that composite cable to atleast a nasty HDMI one (I know you were ordering but not sure if they're arrived yet)....composite is almost the bottom of the barrel and definitely significantly degrades the picture quality you WDTV will be putting out. This definitely isn't one of those placebo cable upgrades, is a big difference. :)

+1 to this.

HDMI is the way to go mate.