Other than Gillette?

gthomas04

...was Drubbing's first. AKA Captain Tightarse
As I said in an earlier post I am about to start cruising ebay again. My particular interest is in razors. What brands other than Gillette should I look out for. I have seen some Merkur razors, but they are usually new and therefore a bit pricier. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Glen

As I said in an earlier post I am about to start cruising ebay again. My particular interest is in razors. What brands other than Gillette should I look out for. I have seen some Merkur razors, but they are usually new and therefore a bit pricier. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Glen

I started off with a merkur 23 but quickly went to vintage gillettes, so all my DE razors are gillettes.
I'd try to get a New Improved and a NEW (they are the open comb gillettes)
Maybe a Gillette TTO? If you can find a made in England 'rocket' cheap that would be the pick. If not a USA aristocrat or early pre 1956 superspeed (1940s style or the early flare tips).
The there's adjustables, I'd try find a slim.
These are the only gillettes/DE that I use as I never bought expensive ones (I have bought many others but they get no use). The 1930s NEW is my favourite, but sometimes I use the 1920s new improved, 1960s slim adjustable, 1950s red tip flared superspeed, or the 1940s Aristocrat . LOL one from each decade 1910s-1970s I have.

Otherwise, try SE shaving, GEM, EverReady, Star. Shaves different, shaves closer for me, but you need single edge blades instead. I prefer it to DE, I just like giving all my razors a test drive occasionally, and use up the blades I have already bought.

Last edited:
Here's some to look for :eek:mg: :

Schick (US: injectors, Krona (DE), Europe: DE, it's all plastic)

Krona
SchickKronaDE.jpg

DE (seen it in black, white, orange, purple, green)
SchickEuroDE.jpg

Rotbart (Germany)

Wilkinson Sword (UK/Europe: DE - "Sticky")
Sticky.jpg

Gibbs (France)

Wizamet (Poland - W2 adjustable, W3 - well I think you can tell where that came from)

W3
WizametW3.jpg

Poor pics - just rattled them off so you know what they look like...

7 O'Clock also made a DE identical to a gillette new

20101228_006.jpg

The blades are the same make as the razor, sadly this is no longer in my collection

20101228_006.jpg

The blades are the same make as the razor, sadly this is no longer in my collection

Nice looking open comb. Looks well built too.

Their bakelite razor is great. Just right in terms of aggressiveness and really light so you have complete control over the pressure.

I got two of those handles, both came with a genuine gillette head though (edit: not saying how they were made, but how they ended up with me decades later when buying them second hand).
One was a proper NEW head, the other some weird new improved type head.

I have an open comb made by 'empire razor' too I remembered. Open comb head with just two posts, like modern merkur, and the handle is a slightly shorter ball end OLD style (with no cracks of course)
The main reason why I like the gillette NEW so much is that it has the horizontal slot to hold the blade, with makes it better than the OLD, new improved and all the other old non gillettes, even modern ones.

Last edited:

That's mostly because Gillette bought the 7 O'Clock company in the early 1930s (hence the Gillette 7 O'Clock blades we see now)