Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I picked up a couple of Seiko 5s (Seiko 5 Military Nylon Strap Automatic Watch SNZG15K1) for myself and my son for Christmas 2011.

He still wears his and mine got 'pinched' by my eldest daughter who wore it to Europe and since - thus I brought the same style with a metal bracelet from another member here which I now wear.

Anyway, the one my daughter was wearing stopped working. Took it to the local watch repairer I've used before and was sent an SMS with the quote this afternoon -

''Service, back seal, crown seal - $368" and ready in a fortnight.

Happened to get an email from Creation Watches about their current sale which had 5% off all stock so a new one became $A143 and sent DHL Express to arrive in 2-4 days - so ordered and have already received shipping confirmation. [While I looked at eBay pricing at the time and this was less I subsequently remembered I got them originally from Sky Watches in Singapore which I checked tonight and they have them for $A139 shipped FedEx or cheaper if just registered!]

I really don't want to throw the old one out - but when it you get a new one in less than half the time for less than half the cost it is impossible to say no :(

Shop around for Watch repairs Mark. That price sounds like it's someone who doesn't want the work. Plenty of stories of these Seikos running for years with only a service here and there.

The nice old guy here that Tom put me in touch with, quoted less than half of that to completely strip down and clean my Dad's old Patek Phillipe auto.

Shop around for Watch repairs Mark. That price sounds like it's someone who doesn't want the work. Plenty of stories of these Seikos running for years with only a service here and there.

The nice old guy here that Tom put me in touch with, quoted less than half of that to completely strip down and clean my Dad's old Patek Phillipe auto.

+1

I had a quote of a few hundred dollars to replace the rechargeable battery on my 1995 Tissot Autoquartz. Then I happened to ask one of the guys in a mall here in Perth and he charged me $35 for the same thing... That was after I spent ages researching my options in new watches! I was tossing up between a Solar G Shock or a Seiko Orange Monster - almost disappointed to keep the old girl going but she has sentimental value.

Now the strap has broken when it got caught on something that nearly took my wrist with it. I'm not sure any other type of strap would work with this watch - a NATO would likely look odd to my eyes. Tossing up what to do about this myself...

I know this old guy is cheaper them most, as he's virtually retired. But a TAG retailer wanted over $200 to replace the battery, service and seal and pressure test (xxy, and not necessary in any dress watch IMO) the missus 20yo TAG sel. Again this guy was less than half.

I think the mall Mike's can do the same thing for cheap with quartz watches. But they can't handle autos.

Shop around for Watch repairs Mark. ...

I have previously and ended up with this place as being quite reasonable price wise. In fact last thing I had done they didn't charge at all!

There are limited options in Canberra and most (all?) charge a quote fee. This place is the cheapest there at $10, others have wanted $40 to just quote :( Another I've look at previously is not taking any more work until February 2018.

I do value the expertise and time of horologists and think that there is a demonstrable difference in skill needed to play with an auto compared to opening a quartz and replacing batteries and seals but the economics of it are just not there on low end watches like Seiko 5s. For a higher end one sure, but for these - hard to justify :(

More options in Canberra than there are here in Mackay - we've got ZERO! There was one place that had been here for, I don't know, 100yrs or something and they were actual "watch makers", not a jewellery store that did watches. Unfortunately they closed the doors early this year.

Another thing you would notice living here, and may have something to do with the price you were quoted was the labour costs are high (everyone wants a good wage!) and so are service costs. Last time I looked, the small motor mechanic was charging $120 hour labour! Frankly that is ridiculous.

I do value the expertise and time of horologists and think that there is a demonstrable difference in skill needed to play with an auto compared to opening a quartz and replacing batteries and seals but the economics of it are just not there on low end watches like Seiko 5s. For a higher end one sure, but for these - hard to justify :(

My odd forays onto horology sites show that even in the cheap US, watch nerds are paying $400+ for servicing on their Rolexes, Omegas etc. Justify that.

Just another easy reason for me not desire that sort of wrist bling.

Just checked the links and Skywatches now has the same watch for $128...

Just checked the links and Skywatches now has the same watch for $128...

Plus postage if I recall - and the equivalent priced it up to $139.

Still - why repair when you can replace!