Review P&B Spitfire

silver

Been wanting to do this for a while now. Here goes nothing.
For this particular review, this is my personal opinion and I'll state the reasons why I like it. I'll break it down to a few key areas I'd like to give my 2 cents on them.

Packaging

Nothing too unusual here, clear bottom plastic tubs with a very nice label place on the top of the tub. Very clean and eye catching label with brief description of the dominant scents. Tub's not too deep, but sufficient space for me to create some fantastic lather in it.

Scent

Scent is really amazing, as @Kerry@Phoenix&Beau stated, it's not heavily scent but it does linger a while after the shave. Upon opening up the tub, scent is is predominantly leather and juniper, and the faint green hint of tobacco. For someone like myself, I am not great at describing scents, but the general category I'd use to describe it would be these words - green, tobacco, bright woody

Latherability
Definitely a thirsty soap, which in my books also translates to "It's definitely able to hold a lot of water". Lather created was nothing short of amazing. High gloss slick lather achieved easily. I've tried badger, horse and boar; even a klutz like myself could produce great results every time. I like drippy lather, this soap could do it without an issue.

Shave Performance
Here is where it shines IMO. Slick & fat protective lather gave me high confidence of not nicking myself. Usually my Slant tends to bite a little, but that issue isn't present with this soap. I'd consider myself a slow shaver, so by the time I get to the chin area, some soaps sometimes get a little dry, but not this one. Lather remains stable throughout the whole shave, providing the razor with plenty of glide and protection against my skin. Washes off the razor easily as well.

Post shave feel

I do like how this soap leaves my skin feeling supple and calm. No redness whatsoever and the scent does linger on a little longer. It's 4 hours past my shave when I am finishing this post, and yet I still can get a whiff of the juniper/leather scent.

Conclusion, definitely a keeper and will probably try the other scents too. I've been given a sample of the Sankrit, very unique scent. I reckon I'd get one of that the next time I am making an order. YMMV but I sure do love this soap.

Been wanting to do this for a while now. Here goes nothing.
For this particular review, this is my personal opinion and I'll state the reasons why I like it. I'll break it down to a few key areas I'd like to give my 2 cents on them.

Packaging

Nothing too unusual here, clear bottom plastic tubs with a very nice label place on the top of the tub. Very clean and eye catching label with brief description of the dominant scents. Tub's not too deep, but sufficient space for me to create some fantastic lather in it.

Scent

Scent is really amazing, as @Kerry@Phoenix&Beau stated, it's not heavily scent but it does linger a while after the shave. Upon opening up the tub, scent is is predominantly leather and juniper, and the faint green hint of tobacco. For someone like myself, I am not great at describing scents, but the general category I'd use to describe it would be these words - green, tobacco, bright woody

Latherability
Definitely a thirsty soap, which in my books also translates to "It's definitely able to hold a lot of water". Lather created was nothing short of amazing. High gloss slick lather achieved easily. I've tried badger, horse and boar; even a klutz like myself could produce great results every time. I like drippy lather, this soap could do it without an issue.

Shave Performance
Here is where it shines IMO. Slick & fat protective lather gave me high confidence of not nicking myself. Usually my Slant tends to bite a little, but that issue isn't present with this soap. I'd consider myself a slow shaver, so by the time I get to the chin area, some soaps sometimes get a little dry, but not this one. Lather remains stable throughout the whole shave, providing the razor with plenty of glide and protection against my skin. Washes off the razor easily as well.

Post shave feel

I do like how this soap leaves my skin feeling supple and calm. No redness whatsoever and the scent does linger on a little longer. It's 4 hours past my shave when I am finishing this post, and yet I still can get a whiff of the juniper/leather scent.

Conclusion, definitely a keeper and will probably try the other scents too. I've been given a sample of the Sankrit, very unique scent. I reckon I'd get one of that the next time I am making an order. YMMV but I sure do love this soap.

Nice review @silver. Hopefully this soap becomes available locally in the near future.

Thanks for the review @silver

I've used the same soap "Spitfire" about a half dozen times and have enjoyed every shave. I get a bit more leather notes coming through, but in a pleasant way. Top performance to boot. [emoji106]

This Spitfire review was a long time coming. I think I was actually the first to buy this soap but that was during the May Madness and I didn't try it originally. In the meantime others have tried it an given their thoughts. With imitation being the sincerest form of flattery let me copy the format from @silver -

Packaging
I read an article which mentioned this soap and I confess that the packaging won me. Sure, the ingredients were good but the label and styling was what caught my eye and convinced me to buy 'on spec'. Does that make me shallow and superficial? Maybe, but that is being honest. With so many artisans making soaps there needs to be a differentiator and the labelling and style made this one stand out - many US producers could take lessons - this is a tub you can have out in the open.

The actual tub is, as was mentioned, nothing too unusual, clear bottom plastic tubs with a very wide mouth and only about half filled. Tub's not too deep, plenty of space to create some fantastic lather in it and easily held in one hand. While not unique it certainly is well thought out and ticks the boxes. It just reinforces to me that the WHOLE experience with this product screams quality.

Scent

As has been said, the scent is really amazing, I love it. It's not heavily scent but it does linger a while after the shave. I would agree that the scent is is predominantly leather and juniper with a faint green hint of tobacco. I'm not great at describing scents either so will stick with @silver's wording - green, tobacco, bright woody

Latherability
I didn't particularly find that it needed a lot of water. I do agree though that the lather created was nothing short of amazing. I would actually suggest that at present I would rate this as the easier soap to lather I've ever used. I know that this is a big call but I've spent a lot of time with Mike's lately, sampled some Mystic Water, dropped in an out of my B&M and even dabbled with MdC, LPL and Jabonman. This soap, IMHO, lathers easier than all of them.

Shave Performance
Easy to lather is one thing, but does it actually perform during the shave? YES! Slick and protective with lots of glide. It is a joy to use. I agree that the lather remains stable throughout the whole shave, providing plenty of glide and protection throughout. I've never been particularly aware of this issue before but yes, it washes off the razor easily as well.

Post shave feel

Great post shave feel, good moisturising effect on the skin. Scent doesn't linger as long for me as @silver suggests but still very faint touches occasionally.

Conclusion
There are some soaps I will make sure that I ALWAYS have in the drawer. Proraso and Cella come to mind for sentimental reasons, they are classics. Mike's and B&M will I think always have a place too. I will find a spot for some Mystic Water, some vintage Yardley and maybe a couple of others. I cannot, however, think of a soap I am more committed to ensuring is there than the P&B Spitfire. Yes, it is that good. I'm already lining up to order another tub on 18 July when new stock is available -I want to have a backup.

So there you go - I don't think I could be happier with a soap. For my mind, you should take a bow
@Kerry@Phoenix&Beau as you and Sarah have created a great thing with this soap.

The more reviews I read about PB, the more they remind me of Wickham shave soaps...which would be a very good thing as Wickham's are definitely top tier in my experience!

I've got some Wickham's but have not tried it - will have to give it a go soon :)

This Spitfire review was a long time coming. I think I was actually the first to buy this soap but that was during the May Madness and I didn't try it originally. In the meantime others have tried it an given their thoughts. With imitation being the sincerest form of flattery let me copy the format from @silver -

Packaging
I read an article which mentioned this soap and I confess that the packaging won me. Sure, the ingredients were good but the label and styling was what caught my eye and convinced me to buy 'on spec'. Does that make me shallow and superficial? Maybe, but that is being honest. With so many artisans making soaps there needs to be a differentiator and the labelling and style made this one stand out - many US producers could take lessons - this is a tub you can have out in the open.

The actual tub is, as was mentioned, nothing too unusual, clear bottom plastic tubs with a very wide mouth and only about half filled. Tub's not too deep, plenty of space to create some fantastic lather in it and easily held in one hand. While not unique it certainly is well thought out and ticks the boxes. It just reinforces to me that the WHOLE experience with this product screams quality.

Scent

As has been said, the scent is really amazing, I love it. It's not heavily scent but it does linger a while after the shave. I would agree that the scent is is predominantly leather and juniper with a faint green hint of tobacco. I'm not great at describing scents either so will stick with @silver's wording - green, tobacco, bright woody

Latherability
I didn't particularly find that it needed a lot of water. I do agree though that the lather created was nothing short of amazing. I would actually suggest that at present I would rate this as the easier soap to lather I've ever used. I know that this is a big call but I've spent a lot of time with Mike's lately, sampled some Mystic Water, dropped in an out of my B&M and even dabbled with MdC, LPL and Jabonman. This soap, IMHO, lathers easier than all of them.

Shave Performance
Easy to lather is one thing, but does it actually perform during the shave? YES! Slick and protective with lots of glide. It is a joy to use. I agree that the lather remains stable throughout the whole shave, providing plenty of glide and protection throughout. I've never been particularly aware of this issue before but yes, it washes off the razor easily as well.

Post shave feel

Great post shave feel, good moisturising effect on the skin. Scent doesn't linger as long for me as @silver suggests but still very faint touches occasionally.

Conclusion
There are some soaps I will make sure that I ALWAYS have in the drawer. Proraso and Cella come to mind for sentimental reasons, they are classics. Mike's and B&M will I think always have a place too. I will find a spot for some Mystic Water, some vintage Yardley and maybe a couple of others. I cannot, however, think of a soap I am more committed to ensuring is there than the P&B Spitfire. Yes, it is that good. I'm already lining up to order another tub on 18 July when new stock is available -I want to have a backup.

So there you go - I don't think I could be happier with a soap. For my mind, you should take a bow
@Kerry@Phoenix&Beau as you and Sarah have created a great thing with this soap.

Very honoured @Mark1966, thank you very much!

I thought it was just me, I recently spent two days with the B&M, in terms of slickness and the perfect glide joy, P&B is the winner. So I am not the only one who thinks so.
To date, that soap is the most comfortable soap for me. I am looking to get more as well during the next release. I was given a sample of the Sankrit, wonderful scent.

Not to say B&M isn't good, but I think the P&B is slightly ahead here. I too will have a spot for B&M in my rotation.

Now I am keen to hear @Psmith thoughts! He just got his yesterday.

Very honoured @Mark1966, thank you very much!

I thought it was just me, I recently spent two days with the B&M, in terms of slickness and the perfect glide joy, P&B is the winner. So I am not the only one who thinks so.
To date, that soap is the most comfortable soap for me. I am looking to get more as well during the next release. I was given a sample of the Sankrit, wonderful scent.

Not to say B&M isn't good, but I think the P&B is slightly ahead here. I too will have a spot for B&M in my rotation.

Now I am keen to hear @Psmith thoughts! He just got his yesterday.

Yep, it certainly works for me!

Likewise I'm keen to hear the thoughts fromo @Psmith and @filobiblic who has some as well.

Is it as good as we are saying or are there different views?

It really is that good. I don't think I've read a single bad review. For me it's the best artisan soap I've tried. And almost as good as MWF.

My apologies mate - I forgot you had some as well!

'almost as good as MWF' - interesting comment as MWF gets some polarised responses.