Patience is a virtue

garethm

So, I've bought myself my first DE razor after reading a heap of success stories from others in their conversion from cartridges.
In the lead up to my purchase I've been practicing my technique using a new brush/soap/mach3 set my wife/daughter got me for Xmas. I've patiently mapped out my direction of hair growth, refined my lathering technique, implemented a preshave routine and found my shaves were on the improve.
Then my DE arrives and I'm like a kid on Xmas morning: no patience, I cant wait and I jump in at the first opportunity.
To cut a long story short it was a pretty average shave! The good thing is that things can only improve. And I can't wait!!!

using decent creams/soaps and a brush gets you halfway there in the first place. You just have to fiddle with the pressure and angles for a bit which is all done for you when using a cartridge. First couple of shaves will be pretty average.

I have purchased some Cella which is probably better than the Windsor soap I'm using now. I do subscribe to the 'change one thing at a time' policy so I'll have a few more shaves with this same gear and then try the Cella.

I don't remember my first DE shave, but I do remember I was pretty tentative putting it against my face. And I do remember that my shaves sucked for a few weeks. Even when I thought I'd done a pretty good job when I'd finished, it seemed to grow back quicker. It doesn't, but the minute you start taking notice of something you've done on autopilot for years, and then never gave another thought to for the rest of the day ,that's how it seems.

But your experience show how much technique is the real factor here. As soon as people stop using goo, actually focus on what it takes to shave well, they start to do it well (unfortunately, you start judging the results critically too). Then there's no reason to spend $4 a cart when you can also learn to pivot a blade for yourself.

Besides that, DEs, creams, soaps and brushes are more enjoyable to use.

Second DE shave

For my second DE shave I changed nothing: same brush, same soap and same razor & blade. Unsurprisingly the shave was pretty much the same as my first. I commented that my first shave was average, but in hindsight I think I'd set my expectations too high. First and second shaves were fine, nothing great but definitely acceptable.

One fantastic thing I will note is that my second DE shave was the day after my first DE shave. I never ever shave two days in a row as my skin just can't cope with it. In my 30-odd years of shaving I would have shaved on consecutive days less than 20 times. Shaving on consecutive days is pretty exciting for me!

So, here's my thoughts:
- the Merkur blade doesn't feel 'right'. I'm two shaves in with this blade but will try a third and last shave to see how it goes
- my lather sucks. More work required here using my current soap before I try the Cella
- more practice with my angles on the DE required

So, third shave will be identical again to try and perfect some of the above.
Onward and upward!

Don't wait, change blades. In this game subjectivity rules, but 99% of the internet says Merkur's blades suck.

Practise making lather. You don't have to shave to do it.

'Palm slap to the forehead'!

Doh, you're right. No need to shave with it! Why didn't I think of that?...

And by all means stick with it to get the Windsor working if you can, but I think you'll find Cella a lot easier, and probably a better product. Nothing to stop you practising with both. They're both cheap and will last a good while.

Sounds like you are doing well!

+1 to what Drubbing says - again....

Third DE shave

I reckon I'm enjoying this DE shaving. :D
On the advice from Drubbing I dumped the Merkur blade and slotted in an Astra. WOW, what a difference. :eek:mg: This was the second best shave I've ever had.
I took more time with my lather and it was slightly improved. But the Astra blade was so smooth. It just glided across my face. I'd like to think my technique had something to do with it but I'll give the credit to the Astra! :cool:
My neck is a wee bit irritated from previous days but the Speick takes good care of it.

Edit: added some emoticons for Mark

Last edited:
How does it feel to be in the minority?

Ha, never thought I'd be able to say that in regards to SE, but most frequent posters here are playing with SE. The bosses are DE only but hardly seem to post these days.
It could be Mark's influence (His smilies keeping drubbing away, his stash making RM feel inadequate). And now we* got Mark on SEs while they were away, if it's not SE, it's not being posted about here.

* boring people that are always here and go on and on about SE

On the advice from Drubbing I dumped the Merkur blade and slotted in an Astra. WOW, what a difference. :eek:mg: This was the second best shave I've ever had.
I took more time with my lather and it was slightly improved. But the Astra blade was so smooth. It just glided across my face. I'd like to think my technique had something to do with it but I'll give the credit to the Astra! :cool:
My neck is a wee bit irritated from previous days but the Speick takes good care of it.

Edit: added some emoticons for Mark

That is sensational! The Astras are a great blade and your technique would be improving too. Even now it takes me a couple of shaves with something new to settle into the correct pattern, you have done well.

Thanks for the emoticons too :eek:mg:

How does it feel to be in the minority?

Don't get too cocky!

... It could be Mark's influence (His smilies keeping drubbing away, his stash making RM feel inadequate). And now we* got Mark on SEs while they were away, if it's not SE, it's not being posted about here.

* boring people that are always here and go on and on about SE

First rule of P&C, blame Mark! So typical...

Drubbing is not here because he is solving the world's shaving problems over at whirlpool and he hasn't found a razor better than his original one - so has given up trying.

RM is actually away as he is doing a stocktake of his blades for the New Year. Started 31 December and is still going.....

Top stuff gareth.

I actually chucked a Merkur in for the first time in forever last night. The blade shaves fine but the feel is ordinary. I had to concentrate to not apply too much pressure. The result is fine though. Very smooth non-irritating result.

I hope the Astra's work out for you because they are a great value.

Keep at the lather. It's something you thing you have down but you'll probably go through a couple of aha moments with it even sticking to the same brush and cream.

I hope the Astra's work out for you

Keep at the lather.

Third, or maybe 4th ( its been a very busy week), shave with the Astras. This was one shave too many. A few nicks and the blade was not as smooth as the previous shaves. A little knowledge to file away and compare with in the future when I use an Astra again with, hopefully, better technique from more experience.

Lather is coming on well. I've learned to have more patience when lathering in my little bowl, more patience in lathering my face and not being scared to add more and maybe more water if needed. The worst thing thing that can happen is the lather is too watery and I need to dump it and start afresh. In hindsight I think my earlier shaves were too dry.