Pb Black Rose

Pbgoose

I was checking out Noble Otter Soap Company's The Noir et Vanille on Try That Soap and thought I'd like to have a go at a soap w/ Black Tea. I haven't seen The Noir et Vanille first hand so I've no idea what it smells like so I wasn't trying to replicate it, just interested in building something with tea, bergamot, jasmine, vanilla and see where it led from there.

Ingredients: Stearic acid, Tallow (beef), Olive Oil, Shea Butter, Castor Oil, Emu Oil, Lanolin, Hemp Oil, Glycerine, Tussah Silk, Bentonite, KOH, NaOH, Filtered Water (RO), Black Tea, Essential Oils.
Essential Oils: Bergamot, Jasmine, Vanilla, Sweet Orange, Benzoin, Rose, and Vetiver.

The soap is harder than I thought it might be so a MkII will include a higher KOH percentage. My wife and I both react to Jasmine similarly to Neroli so I had to use dilutions to stop Jasmine dominating. My wife still is inclined to turn her nose up but I think the Jasmine is subtle enough now to compliment the other scents. I actually tried an iteration of the scent w/o rose and I may even do something with that as it tends to more a cologne scent rather than floral, but the sweetness and colour of rose inclusion won me over. I could still smell the sweetness of the rose linger in the bathroom 30 mins post shave.
The tea provides some nice spice and colour in the background with the bergamot and orange providing some nice background citrus notes. The inclusion of Vetiver was by accident but a happy one as it provides some nice earthiness but also plays with the sweetness of the rose and vanilla.

My daughter is hard to impress with scents but she gives this one the nod.

The soap lathered easily enough and just kept on taking water. I used no pre shave product or oil and the lather performed well with a straight razor. I'll shave with it a few times before seriously thinking about MkII changes but overall I'm pretty happy with how MkI came up. I did mean to include Tamanu oil for richness but it was late last night when I was speccing the soap and forgot about it, which may be just as well as the Tamanu would've changed the scent profile again.

jWyolYil.jpg

Last edited: