Pb Tonka n Tamanu

Pbgoose

38609711311_7986e8b1a0_z.jpg

@nav1
Cooked up a batch this morning. Tonka n Tamanu.
nav1 put me on to the therapeutic benefits of Tamanu which sounded ideal for shaving soap. The oil is similar consistency to Hemp oil and not dissimilar smell. Both combined give the soap that lovely green hue.
Ingredients: Stearic, Castor Oil, Tallow (Beef), Tamanu Oil, Hemp Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Olive Oil, Shea Butter, Kaolin Clay, Tussah Silk, Glycerine, KOH, NaOH, Filtered Water (RO).
Essential Oils: Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Sweet Marjoram, Benzoin.
Soap is fresh from the freezer post cook but lathered super creamy. Little bit of work to lather up but hopefully will be worth it. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow. Should let it sit a week or two but I'm not waiting that long. Dialled up the scent a notch from what I usually do and wondering if another notch would be better. I'll have to wait and see how it settles.

38609711311_7986e8b1a0_z.jpg

@nav1
Cooked up a batch this morning. Tonka n Tamanu.
nav1 put me on to the therapeutic benefits of Tamanu which sounded ideal for shaving soap. The oil is similar consistency to Hemp oil and not dissimilar smell. Both combined give the soap that lovely green hue.
Ingredients: Stearic, Castor Oil, Tallow (Beef), Tamanu Oil, Hemp Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Olive Oil, Shea Butter, Kaolin Clay, Tussah Silk, Glycerine, KOH, NaOH, Filtered Water (RO).
Essential Oils: Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Sweet Marjoram, Benzoin.
Soap is fresh from the freezer post cook but lathered super creamy. Little bit of work to lather up but hopefully will be worth it. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow. Should let it sit a week or two but I'm not waiting that long. Dialled up the scent a notch from what I usually do and wondering if another notch would be better. I'll have to wait and see how it settles.

Oh sweet!!
Lather looks very creamy!
I really hope the tamanu oil based shaving soap helps people with scars and spots. A tamanu oil based aftershave would be the perfect accompaniment :)
That colour turned out awesome!!

I bet the guys are just waiting for your soaps to be officially released to market :D

Looks good mate.

I should have already given @todras a mention as well. Your posts re: aftershave were very helpful in making up the Tonka from the solid.(y) I went with 20% dilution and still had to sit the bottle in warm water for 15 mins before use as a small amount still had come out of solution. I think it's been sitting for a month now. I thought I was going to be safe at 20% but not sure if I want to dilute further as it adds volume to blends.

I should have already given @todras a mention as well. Your posts re: aftershave were very helpful in making up the Tonka from the solid.(y) I went with 20% dilution and still had to sit the bottle in warm water for 15 mins before use as a small amount still had come out of solution. I think it's been sitting for a month now. I thought I was going to be safe at 20% but not sure if I want to dilute further as it adds volume to blends.

The 20% is a really rough figure, using scales and the correct calculation you will generally get anywhere from 17% to 20% into solution and I have found this varies depending on the source of your material. You probably know already too that there is a slight but none the less potential toxicity risk with Tonka, it's not major but worth a set of gloves and a little care in my book when working with the abs as it is with some of the others.

My preference nowadays is to dilute into DPG or another solvent rather than straight perfumers alcohol for a variety of reasons (or work with the abs itself once I have done the sums) but the basic method I mentioned in the thread I found works really well when needs must and you don't want to muck around and you know how much and what your specific tonka is like as to nose. You have obviously noticed what happens when you get too much for solution, coumarin (tonka is 70% coumarin on avg) crystal formations on the bottom of the bottle, you can of course heat the solution up again to get things moving but ideally you want everything in solution and not things being overly saturated as it makes measuring an exact quantity impossible.

Don't hesitate to hit me up man too if you want to ask questions about whatever or want to chat in relation to it all, I would like to try a sample of your soaps sometime if you have some to spare too :)

OUTSTANDING! Looks like an ice-cream. When will it be available to members?
Ice cream? That might be a challenge with shipping.
Thanks Bucephalus. I would actually like to get to the point of selling shaving soap but I'm a fair way off at this point. As bald as has said before it's one thing to make soap for yourself but a whole different game to produce for the market. So I'm just working on soaps that I like and think might work well and if I ever get organised enough to market my soap P&C will be the first to know. In other words don't hold your breath.:)

yDe2MHil.jpg

Did a V2 for TnT today. I was a bit blase about doing this batch as it was initially simply a restock but I twigged a couple of ingredients and I'm excited about this soap again.
This soap is similar to Pimento Silk in that the base oils change the scent a little. The essential oil mix smells fantastic on their own. I was always aware that the Tamanu and Hemp were heavy enough to influence the soap scent and give the overall scent scene a more muted earthy feel.
I increased the EO load so the EO's have more of a voice and I also tweaked clay, glycerine and silk levels. Otherwise it is the same soap. The lather came up luxurious creamy and the scent is not so subtle now. There is a post scent, I think from the Tamanu, which is a little musty earthy. I had made up an AS previously for this soap and deliberately included a little Tamanu oil in it acknowledging the contribution it makes to the scent. This made the AS too heavy and I think the AS would be nicer without that musty earthy post scent, so I need to have another crack at the AS.
Overall, time well spent. I'm looking forward to using this tomorrow.
Disclaimer: Any implied enjoyment level of aforementioned shave product should be cross referenced against desperosity index for shave lover contentment spreadsheet (ref.mark1966 et al).