Personna shutting down - buy your blades NOW!!!

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Energizer, who owns the Personna Blades, are looking to get out of the business, see article here which indicates -

'Energizer hopes to cut back on blade production or completely sell the personal care portion of the business by the end of fiscal 2016'

If they cannot sell they might shut it down ...

There is a long thread YKW here.

This will be a profound loss for some - 'Isn't this the last made in America blade?' and 'Yes I moved to using these just because they were US made.'

The panic buying has already begun -

'Looks like I better get a few more boxes of Personna Blue blades just to be safe'
'I may have to add to my stockpile of labs and meds'
'Time to order 1000....'
'Heading over to Amazon. Better safe than sorry'
'Just purchased 400.'

So 1000 is only $AUD200 and it would get me membership of the Grand Society I think ...

Hmmm, isn't this part of the fun at YKW? Not sure I want to stock up for the shavapocalypse...

No great loss as far as I am concerned. I don't like the fact another manufacturer will have fallen, but the performance of the blades were fairly average in my experience.

If this was Gillette shutting down PPI St Petersburg, I would have already grabbed 5,000 blades each of Silver Blues and PermaSharp Supers.

End of fiscal 2016 is key here.
A whole year.

Injector blades and maybe SE would be a worry. Not so fussed about DE as I have about 190 odd. Definitely be worried if it was St Petersburg I've only got a few decades of DE blades left

One good thing is if you get the boxed blades, 100 is relatively small and easy to store.

The Gillette tucks take up much more room.

I just ordered another 100 GEM blades so at a conservative 7 shaves per blade that is 700 shaves. Add to that 110 injector blades at about the same shave rate and if a nuclear winter sets in and I have to use DE blades I have about 200 of those, but that is only if there is a nuclear winter or an asteroid strike and only after all of my SE blades are done.

I just ordered another 100 GEM blades so at a conservative 7 shaves per blade that is 700 shaves. Add to that 110 injector blades at about the same shave rate and if a nuclear winter sets in and I have to use DE blades I have about 200 of those, but that is only if there is a nuclear winter or an asteroid strike and only after all of my SE blades are done.

Is Connaught the best place to get them?

There shipping rate is good compared to the US and apparently the blades are cheaper from England even though they are American. Don't quote me but last night 100 bulk GEM SS blades delivered to Adelaide was $34.00 [about 4.8 cents per shave]. My last lot took a bit over 14 days.

Steve

When my latest order from Connaught arrives I will have 6 years of daily shaves available with GEM SE SS blades. With Injector blades on hand about an additional 2 years of daily shaves. And after that world disaster and DE blades. So I'm fairly confident now I will see out the shave apocalypse. So all that remains is the brush apocalypse.

I was just pondering this morning. I always seem to like obscure things that are not necassarily economically viable and go out of bussinesss.

US owned, Israeli made. Though you could forgive many yanks from not being able to tell the difference between Israel and the US...

Good news for yous here. I've still got packs of Reds available. How's $10 a pack sound?

There shipping rate is good compared to the US and apparently the blades are cheaper from England even though they are American. Don't quote me but last night 100 bulk GEM SS blades delivered to Adelaide was $34.00 [about 4.8 cents per shave]. My last lot took a bit over 14 days.

Steve

Thanks. 1oo ordered.

No doubt that they will find a willing buyer but just in case.

I think the real concern is for SE shavers as GEM are basically the only real player in the game. :) as is my form I seem to have chosen a 1 horse race.

I think the real concern is for SE shavers as GEM are basically the only real player in the game. :) as is my form I seem to have chosen a 1 horse race.

Yeah, my vintage NOS GEMS might come in handy ...

No great loss as far as I am concerned. I don't like the fact another manufacturer will have fallen, but the performance of the blades were fairly average in my experience.

If this was Gillette shutting down PPI St Petersburg, I would have already grabbed 5,000 blades each of Silver Blues and PermaSharp Supers.

I wouldn't say "fairly average" but if push came to shove, I prefer the blades out of PPI (well some of them anyway like the Polsilver SI and the Gillette Platinum). The Lab Blues from the US and the Crystals from Israel are damn fine blades and even the humble Red has never given me a bad shave. I can live without them but I would prefer they stayed in business.

The Lab Blues or MediPreps would be the only two I would bother with. Crystals (IP's) & Reds just don't do it for me at all. The shaves just are not close enough, noticeable stubble in the 3-6 hours after the shave.

So, have these broken the $1 a blade barrier over at YKW yet ?