Picked my ring!

JugV2

Simply boring.
The girl and I are getting married finally, on Boxing Day in the NT.

Tonight we went and organised the rings.

I've never been into jewellery but I understand that, well, chicks dig it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a tight arse at all and will happily spend cash on bugger all if I have the disposable income.

It's just that jewellery never made any sense to me. I get that people fleeing a war torn country might take gold on their hands and around their necks in order to start a new life; that makes sense.

For any Black Books fans here, jewellery reminds me of Bernard Black's famous statement "Well, whores must have their trinkets".

That sounds horrible I know but in context, funny :cheesy:

Do I seem like some kind of Scrooge that only wants to twist the joy out of life, or is this a common sentiment in other blokes?

oh and FWIW the bride picked out a lovely white gold thingy and I picked a celtic engraved Tungsten ring that weighs quite a lot. Nice look and feel to it though.

I am not a bling kind of guy, I don't wear a watch etc.

Mum gave me Dad's wedding band on my 21st Birthday, but it isn't a good fit for me. If it goes on then I doubt I will ever get it off again.

So yes, not into it either but if the right girl comes along, then it will not be a big deal.

I wear a watch (another AD might be growing in this area thanks to B&B) and a simple gold wedding band - that is it for me.

My wife has a few rings and other jewellery apart from her wedding and engagement rings. Some have been gifts from me, some are heirlooms she has been given.

Despite the rational view of the importance of jewellery they have been endowed with an enormous cultural importance and value. That has to be acknowledged and understood. A cut and set diamond ring is more that a lump of carbon and some metal. While we can argue that this is merely marketing spin it has become over the years a deep seated part of ours and many other cultures.

Does a cubic zirconia represent more value for money than a diamond? Maybe but we all know it just wouldn't wash!

BTW - congrats on getting married. 20 years in and no regrets for me :D

Next it's fountain pens, retractable pencils, Japanese knives and then cap it off with handguns.

Well some of those fountain pens ARE nice and my PA's husband is in the AFP and a keen sporting shooter....

See, I fit in right at home on that other forum!

20 years in and no regrets for me :D

I do wish I could find somewhere where the grownups played - I too am at the 20 year mark, but of course that is after the frist one went for 16 years!. It is truly terrible to be surrounded by all this youthful exuberance. (Not really and may I also extend my congratulations , as you can see from my history I think it is a very fine thing).

I appreciate the congratulations, and I bow to those of you due for long service leave within your marriage.

So the ring I decided on for myself is this:

Capture.JPG

Tungsten apparently. Quite heavy as I mentioned before.

I appreciate the congratulations, and I bow to those of you due for long service leave within your marriage.

So the ring I decided on for myself is this:

View attachment 144

Tungsten apparently. Quite heavy as I mentioned before.

Cool! Not my style, I'm more the traditional plain gold band but I can appreciate how nice this is.

Congratualtions. And a nice ring there, tungsten is the new material for a lot of men's rings it seems, as it has a nice weight to it and is very resilient to scratches and dents (well, certainly more so than gold).

C662.jpg

This is the sort of design I have been eyeing off since getting engaged a few months ago and the to-be bride started hassling me about what sort of ring I might like.

Oh nice.

Yeah I looked at Titanium but decided on tungsten after a few dozen views of different rings.

Apparently if you need to resize a tungsten ring, they don't actually resize, they just take your old ring, you pay $50 and they make you a new one.