Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall,
Some days must be dark and dreary.

Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall,
Some days must be dark and dreary.

That sounds like a Radiohead song. Is it Radiohead? I'm happy to rant about those melancholy fuckers if so...

Yeah I got to travel a bit in Laos but that was 2006 and it was still fairly u explored.

Yes cairns economy is not well. Very high unemployment unfortunately.

Ahh woodshed so many good nights haha

12/21 here in the US. We're still here! Guess the Mayans were Wrong!
Unless it started with you guys!! Hello! Hello!!!......

12/21 here in the US. We're still here! Guess the Mayans were Wrong!
Unless it started with you guys!! Hello! Hello!!!......

Can't talk... fighting zombies!

Health insurance! Have a dental and vision plan for retirees that refuses to take yearly premium payments. They also refuse to have it deducted from the pension payments. You guessed it due the 31st or canceled. Next day post may do it for a steep rate or I drive 300 miles round trip to deliver it myself.
No. they don't do credit cards over the phone either!!
Yes my fault!!

Seems they have numerous ways to refuse your money, how are they still in business?

time for a new insurer.

Post Office opens here in 15min. Off to see if they can do a Monday delivery. If not, off to the Private Carriers..

Update: usps Monday delievery. 13$. For a letter. Yes, I know. My fault!

Last edited:
Post Office opens here in 15min. Off to see if they can do a Monday delivery. If not, off to the Private Carriers..

Update: usps Monday delievery. 13$. For a letter. Yes, I know. My fault!

So, that would be the post office opening on a Saturday?

Doesn't happen here much except for smaller post office agencies owned by private individuals.

13 cents for guaranteed delivery next business day?

We pay 60 cents for normal letter and $5.55 for a guaranteed next day delivery Express Post letter. That is guaranteed delivery within the smaller Express Post network of major cities not the whole of Australia.

Oh, I think I've just had a rant ....

I think that was $13 not $0.13 Mark.

13$. The . Was the end of the previous incomplete sentence:)-)! Normal cost would be 45cents.

So, that's nearly three times the price compared to Australia. There's a rant for you Johnus! Mind you if the customer relation policy of this insurance company is an indication I'm guessing they're situated in some really hard to find place like Buttf...k, Nebraska.

13$. The . Was the end of the previous incomplete sentence:)-)! Normal cost would be 45cents.

I sit corrected - $US13 - almighty rip-off.

Feel free to be cheesed off and vent all you want....

Hi Guys, I know I'm only new here but I have something to rant about and this is one of the few Aussie forums I frequent with a rant corner. SWMBO had recorded a History Channel show about the Diggers (Aussie soldiers for Johnus) from the Boer War to the present day. I've just finished watching it and was absolutely gobsmacked that of the 60,000 Australians that got killed in WW1, they spent about 5 minutes on my great uncle who was a lowly private.

My rant is that they got just about everything about his death wrong. One would expect that a "History" show would have some pretense in fact. Because he is one of only 49 Diggers buried in a French rather than an Australian war cemetery (long story about misplaced bodies), they twisted the facts to make good television. In reality, he was killed by a stray artillery shell on 22/8/18. On the show, he is shot whilst charging the enemy 5 days after he died. They even did a recreation of his grieving mother which was fairly accurate as I have read her letters to the war graves commission.

They obviously had access to the same red cross/war memorial records that I have, yet once again they bullshitted. His Mother died never knowing what happened to his remains, yet on the show they say the opposite. Gotta make it look good for a semi happy ending I guess.... They even showed her holding a picture of her dear departed son, except it wasn't him. It was a picture of S.M. Carson, not S.M. Corsie. Can't really blame them for that though, it's a SNAFU on the Australian War Memorial website - a corrective request has been sent.

SWMBO thinks I'm having a hissy fit about nothing. After all, they depicted a much more noble death than he actually suffered (right down to some random extra laying there with a bullet through his forehead). Maybe she's right but when the so called History Channel starts fucking around with facts, it just ain't right to me.

Docos have played fast and loose with the truth forever, even the most earnest of them are tainted by bias and points of view. Mike Moore took it to extremes with his Docutainment concepts. I'm sorry to hear your great uncle was misrepresented, but as you say, they look to make good TV. The sad truth is, most people in the big wars were cut down pretty horribly. Some never got to fire a shot in anger, and gave rise to the term 'cannon fodder'.

Thanks Drubbing. I know as well as anyone that 99% of what you see on TV is BS. At least they made my paternal great uncle look like a hero. Actually he was, he died serving his country, the manner of his death is incidental in the greater scheme of things.

Last edited:
A fair enough rant JayDee!

While as Drubs says we have become cynical about everything on TV is that really what we want? Particularly on something like The History Channel they should have better standards.

I think it is worth a letter to them - hold them to account!!!!

I'm down at the beach in a tiny town on the Great Ocean Road, and today I paid $18 for two four packs of AA batteries. Even bread is $5 a loaf. The worst thing?

$68 a slab for Carlton Draught.

It was to be expected, but nonetheless, it's still a pain.

The cost of batteries is why I have (finally) gone the good quality rechargeable battery route.

I have a combination of Eneloops when DSE has them on 50% special, and Turnigy batteries - the latter from Hobby King, combined with an "intelligent" charger

The price of Carlton Draught doesn't bother me so much, unless you were going to use it to torture a beer drinker?