Pre shave variations

possumbelly

[No giant lemons here]
So I tried the Myrsol Emulsion as a preshave as suggested by @Draco Noir and @Lifes a Peach. It seemed to work well - was certainly very protective. I'd be interested in hearing other people's views on various things though.

I've been using Proraso green as a preshave for 2-3 years now. I found that I prefer to actually wash it off before lathering. If I don't I experience a "drag" type of sensation with my razor and a drying effect on the lather. In using the Emulsion, I left it on under the lather and had the same dragging and drying sensation that I have experienced with the Proraso when I don't wash it off.

My usual routine is to shave straight after a shower following a good soapy facial wash. Preshaves shouldn't add a huge amount in theory, but I have found that my shaves are much better with the Proraso pre shave. In applying it then washing it off, it seems to leave a nice layer of hydration on my face before the first lather. The menthol also stimulates my face nicely. I only use a very small amount so I don't think it's the volume of product I'm using.

In any case, washing it off works well for me and I will stick with this approach. Just curious though.

Do others wash off their preshave or leave it on underneath their first lather?

I am currently using an @Occams pre-shave bar. In lieu of a shower, I have been using it with a hot face towel. Rub over my face then lather it by hand. I put the hot towel directly on top and let it sit for a while. I don't wash off the lather but just build my next lather directly on top.

I have noticed a "waxy" feeling with the Proraso Green Pre-shave cream - especially when used with MWF.
Had never thought to wash it off prior to applying lather, but I will give it a try.
With the glycerin based pre-shave soaps I've always left them on and lathered on top. Usually do so with the pre-shave oils - although I often need to wash my hands well before picking up the razor.

Love my Occams pre-shave bar - wash my face twice with it before lathering up

No mate you still got to shower. There are other parts to attend to than just the bit you can see in the bathroom mirror. Sheesh!
Well I just got a waterproof cast for my broken foot today so I now CAN shower! Hooray! [emoji13]

Well I just got a waterproof cast for my broken foot today so I now CAN shower! Hooray! [emoji13]
Shopping bag/glad wrap method not explained to you ?

Cleansing your skin of excess bacteria and culture for it to grow in sounds far superior.