Private Reserve - DIY Aftershave Splash Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great stuff @todras (y)(y)(y)

I know they are not super accurate, but I love my hot milk thermometer, as you can easily clamp it on the side of your vessel (pyrex jug in this case) and don't have to hold it all the time...

Works perfect for me in the desired temperature region including for meat ~60°C :D

Plus they are stainless and so very easy to clean - no issues with cross contamination there...

Bloody bucket chemists, eh!! [emoji12]

Works perfect for me in the desired temperature region including for meat ~60°C :D

Plus they are stainless and so very easy to clean - no issues with cross contamination there...

Bloody bucket chemists, eh!!
emoji12.png

Bloody hell, I've been pork chopped by not one, but two bloody chemists in true enantiomeric fashion - on the left hand Mr Meat Thermometer and on the right hand Mr Bucket :LOL:

I know too well that I could have detailed a 3 phase method for the facial toner, using weight for the volumes and a very high degree of precision but the fact is while you both would have enjoyed it everyone else would have taken one look and thought "F*ck this, you need all this equipment, glassware, a digital scale - this todras guy is just a science nerd" which while probably amusing and true, would have defeated the purpose of this thread which was as a DIY explanation and method that could be repeated at home.

If I do the more advanced toner, the method will be more complex by necessity but my intention will remain the same - to make the information and method accessible. You are both more than welcome to offer achievable solutions to improve accuracy, method and results btw and your humour is noted you pair of pork chops :)

Bloody hell, I've been pork chopped by not one, but two bloody chemists in true enantiomeric fashion - on the left hand Mr Meat Thermometer and on the right hand Mr Bucket :LOL:

I know too well that I could have detailed a 3 phase method for the facial toner, using weight for the volumes and a very high degree of precision but the fact is while you both would have enjoyed it everyone else would have taken one look and thought "F*ck this, you need all this equipment, glassware, a digital scale - this todras guy is just a science nerd" which while probably amusing and true, would have defeated the purpose of this thread which was as a DIY explanation and method that could be repeated at home.

If I do the more advanced toner, the method will be more complex by necessity but my intention will remain the same - to make the information and method accessible. You are both more than welcome to offer achievable solutions to improve accuracy, method and results btw and your humour is noted you pair of pork chops :)

Good natured piss-taking is mandatory on P&C [emoji6]. I continue to enjoy reading your well-documented scientific journey.

Good natured piss-taking is mandatory on P&C
emoji6.png
. I continue to enjoy reading your well-documented scientific journey.

I enjoy the piss taking, especially from you two chaps who have always been very helpful and instructive as I learned this "chemistry thing" in my residential kitchen. Both you and alfredus are the reason I developed my aftershave solution in 2 months rather than 8 to 10 and how through learning and your advice and professional observations it has now developed into something entirely different than when I began this DIY thread.

When I find time to do the next installment, I reckon you will both enjoy it a little bit more, by nature it will be more complicated (in a relative sense for myself as a non chemist and for most others) but not for you two obviously as trained chemists. It will no doubt require you to correct, explain or advise too as I explain and demonstrate the how and why and the reasons for doing so.

I will provide a multi phase commercial example of a simple cosmetic aftershave "formula sheet" that provides the data necessary for a chemist to replicate the product. I will do this so people can see that the process in the home can (more or less) replicate a cosmetic formula for a toner/aftershave and I am hoping you and Alfredus find it marginally more interesting than today's "shake it in a bottle" demonstration and I will then detail a similar 3 phase process for making an advanced facial toner with all the bells and whistles.

I enjoy the piss taking, especially from you two chaps who have always been very helpful and instructive as I learned this "chemistry thing" in my residential kitchen. Both you and alfredus are the reason I developed my aftershave solution in 2 months rather than 8 to 10 and how through learning and your advice and professional observations it has now developed into something entirely different than when I began this DIY thread.

When I find time to do the next installment, I reckon you will both enjoy it a little bit more, by nature it will be more complicated (in a relative sense for myself as a non chemist and for most others) but not for you two obviously as trained chemists. It will no doubt require you to correct, explain or advise too as I explain and demonstrate the how and why and the reasons for doing so.

I will provide a multi phase commercial example of a simple cosmetic aftershave "formula sheet" that provides the data necessary for a chemist to replicate the product. I will do this so people can see that the process in the home can (more or less) replicate a cosmetic formula for a toner/aftershave and I am hoping you and Alfredus find it marginally more interesting than today's "shake it in a bottle" demonstration and I will then detail a similar 3 phase process for making an advanced facial toner with all the bells and whistles.

Sounds great - bring it on! [emoji106]

Stay tuned as next on P&C, Science for Dummies, hosted by @alfredus and @TomG :)

And in this week's episode, Alfie and I will be discussing:
  • Skin pH - why using conc. Sulphuric acid may not be such a good idea to neutralise that nasty alkaline shaving soap residue.
  • Blade metallurgy - Hastalloy will last forever, but can you sharpen it?
  • Slant Razors - should you lean 5 degrees to Starboard to get a straight cutting surface?
We'll also be joined by our resident Olfactory Oracle, Sydney Aqua, who will be previewing his latest APR offerings, and asking the question:-
Are essential oils essentially essential?

And in this week's episode, Alfie and I will be discussing:
  • Skin pH - why using conc. Sulphuric acid may not be such a good idea to neutralise that nasty alkaline shaving soap residue.
  • Blade metallurgy - Hastalloy will last forever, but can you sharpen it?
  • Slant Razors - should you lean 5 degrees to Starboard to get a straight cutting surface?
We'll also be joined by our resident Olfactory Oracle, Sydney Aqua, who will be previewing his latest APR offerings, and asking the question:-
Tag me when you two post it, should be interesting reading if layman terminology is predominantly utilised :)

What a great thread!

Being quite new to P&C I had heard good things about APR on various posts and thought that an Australian artisan made aftershave was a great thing, I had visited the website and it was top of my wish list. But,I had not seen this thread and did not know the story behind it.

Now that I have seen how it started, learned a little about the processes involved and the research, skills, enthusiasm and dedication that went into creating APR, when in the near future I get to try it for myself I will appreciate it all the more.

Hats off to you @todras

Absolutely <boom tish>

This tread is absolutely fantastic, thanks @todras @alfredus (y)

I already make my own shaving cream ( which is even better than the Occitane one), this week I will try to make some splash probably based on what I have in the cupboard (from my shaving cream endeavor) :
- Witch Hazel
- Aloe Vera
- Vit E oil
- Bisabolol
- Baking soda
- Cade Oil
- Rum
- Bay leaf
- Santalwood or Coffe (I am also into candle making ;-) I have oils and fragrances but I usually prefer the later)

@todras amazing how far you've came in one year mate :)
Congratulations and may the growth be steady and sustainable along with your passion for it.

Indeed it has been quite a year Neil, what started out of a scientific curiosity and love for reading about the history of perfume has grown into another full time hobby.

If anyone comes along and reads this sometime in the future, I would say on reflection after a year and some 90-120 fragrance designs is that the real key to all of this is a love of learning about the sciences and chemistry in particular, of course some natural skill in perfumery is essential, but above all you need to either have or foster a passion for knowledge and learning. Read as much as you can and read the most difficult material you can once you understand the basics. Take notes, question what you read and the conclusions that the material draws and then test them, repeat them in a practical sense and do so with a meticulous method that is repeatable.

I am now going to ask that this thread be locked with no further posts @Mark1966, it is now intended as a permanent reference from this point on and it gladdens me to see that other artisans and 'dabblers' like myself have come along and made aftershaves and wet-shaving products as a result of what they have read and learned here.

To conclude, this is a really nourishing example of the giving and participation of the membership here on P&C and I am glad to have been a part of it over this last year :)

Cheers,

Daniel
Australian Private Reserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.