R41 vs Karve SB (G) plate Heavyweight Challenge.

rhodes96

... is THE man!
Grand Society
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Tonight the battle alot of People are waiting for.

R41 vs Karve SB ( G )plate.

Left side R41
Right side Karve SB G plate.

Soap to be confirmed, something new and slick.

Shave off Results posted around 9pm Aus Eastern standard time.

Let's get ready to Shaaaaave.

Tonight the battle alot of People are waiting for.

R41 vs Karve SB ( G )spot

Left side R41
Right side Karve SB G spot

Soap to be confirmed, something new and slick.

Shave off Results posted around 9pm Aus Eastern standard time.

Let's get ready for the G spot Shaaaaave.
FTFY

Muhle R41 Grande vs Karve CB(Stainless Steel) SB: (G) plate grudge match

PRE SHAVE: Hot shower.
FACE: 4 days growth.
DE BLADE : Astra Superior Platinum 2x 1st use.
SOAP: Noble Otter Rawr.
LATHER: Face Lather.
BRUSH: Wolf Whiskers 24mm Synthetic
SHAVE LEVEL: BBS

Left side of the face R41 Grande 93grams
Right side of the face Karve SB: (G) plate 107grams

1st pass WTG Left side of the face.
The R41 felt a like the R41 does, a little rough but it does the job. Shaved WTG left side of the face with a brand new Astra Superior Platinum. I chose this blade as it is a common good all round blade that is widely available and gets many positive reviews.

1st pass WTG right side of the face
The Karve G plate felt very smooth in comparison to the R41. I felt very little blade feel and felt just like using the F plate. Easy cruise control with the WTG pass.

Results, under the neck and chin felt the same with both razors. The cheek on the right side felt more hair had been removed than the left side. No weepers from either razor.

Winner WTG: Karve CB SB: (G) plate

2nd Pass XTG left side of the face.
The R41 quickly disposed of hair during the XTG pass. It was fairly smooth except when shaving the upper lip area where it felt a little less smooth. Did leave noticeably more lather behind than the karve on my neck area. That's typical for my neck and using scalloped/open comb razor heads. I don't have a double chin :).

2nd Pass XTG right side of the face.
The Karve (G) plate disposed of hair at the same rate as the R41 except it did it noticeably smoother. The under neck area was easier to work with the Karve and it removed more lather compared to the R41. The upper lip area was also noticeably smoother as opposed to the R41. I did pick up 1 weeper under my right nostril. Typical of not using this aggessive level of shave for weeks.

Results, under the neck and chin felt the same on both sides. The upper lip area felt the same also on both sides. The cheek area on the left side felt ever so slightly more hair had been removed.

Winner of XTG: Muhle R41

I now changed blades over between razors so each razor is using the opposing razors blade from the first pass.

3rd Pass ATG left side of the face. The R41 quickly disposed of remaining hair on the ATG pass. The razor felt fairly smooth. I was expecting some bite before the stroke but didn't happen, so that's good. The grande handle was comfortable to use and allowed easy and effortless work under the neck and cheek area. The chin area I had to be careful as I have a chisled type jaw. The R41 did not feel as smooth here as the other parts of my face. The upper lip area was also not as smooth , but the Astra blades had no issue cutting the hair. I did pick up 1 weeper under the left nostril in the same place I picked one up on the right side from the Karve previously. Put that down to same as before not shaving with this aggression level for weeks.

3rd Pass ATG right side of the face. The Karve (G) plate made quick work of the remaining hair under the neck area. Very very smooth. Surprised me here for a razor of this aggression level. Not much buffering needed and was able to work my way up the cheek in no time. Chin area was easier and smoother to do than the R41. The upper lip area likewise. Noticeably smoother and no initial pull or roughness at the start of the stroke compared to the R41. No weepers to report.

Results: Under the neck and chin area there was some small touchups required on the left side. None on the right. Normally my right side under neck area has some hairs that grow at 45 degrees that typically require touchups depending on the razor used. This was not the case. The cheek areas feel about the same for both sides. The upper lip area I had to touch up on my left side due to the lower part near the cheek still felt some slight stubble growth. The bridge area under my nose was fine no touch up required.

Winner ATG: Karve SB: (G) plate.

Post shave before aftershave and balm, the face felt exactly the same on both sides. No noticeable redness or tenderness apart from the 2 weepers under my nostrils. The soap performed as to be expected from Noble Otter, a top performer. It ticks all the right box's to be included in the top category of shave soaps. I really enjoyed face lathering this product.
My face did benefit from the aftershave and the Balm as I had not shaved this level of agression level for weeks. The products were quickly absorbed into the face with no greasy residue left behind.

Overall winner Karve CB SB: (G) plate

Now after having used both razors together, I can say without a doubt that I prefer the noticeably smoother and more efficient performance of the Karve (G) plate. I did not expect this level of smoothness for this level of efficiency. I can pretty much keep this razor in cruise control over my entire face except for the moustache and bridge area under my nose.

Is it more aggressive than the R41? To me No. It is of the same aggression level as the R41, only it is more efficient and noticeably smoother.

Will the Karve SB: (G) plate replace the use of the R41 in my razor rotation? Yes without a doubt. The R41 will be retired.

Last edited: