Random distillate ramblings

On the occasions I buy whiskey, I've bought Bourbon, Makers to be exact. But Jamesons is an overall nicer drop. You can sip it, chug it, and it goes well with coke. Bourbon can get too sweet when mixed.

I think I'll pick up a bottle of the 12 yo or Reserve for Xmas.

I've bought Bourbon, Makers to be exact. But Jamesons is an overall nicer drop. You can sip it, chug it, and it goes well with coke. Bourbon can get too sweet when mixed.

Love your last sentence - not so happy with the mixing of Jamesons and coke = if you need to chill it drop and ice cube in (This of course is only my personal opinion and YMMV) as I sit sipping the last of my Laphraoig hoping Santa remembers how to spell single malt.

Well, your std Jameson's isn't fine malt, so I'm happy to coke it occasionally. But ice works too.

No argument with you there Drubbing - nice peaty single malt it aint. Reminds of my late father who when he had friends over for dinner would ask if they would like a cognac - then asked how they would like it - those who responded with some kind of mixer got a 3 star yucky = those who asked for straight got Couvosier (sp)

My preferences:

On a budget:

-Famous Grouse
-Black Grouse
-Bailie Nicol Jarvie

Preferred:

-Talisker 10 y.o
-Laphroaig 10 y.o
-Ardbeg 10 y.o

Even my 'preferred' aren't that expensive by many standards, but the ratio of dollar : enjoyment is right for me :)

Regarding that other type of drink, I won't say no to Makers Mark

On the occasions I buy whiskey, I've bought Bourbon, Makers to be exact. But Jamesons is an overall nicer drop. You can sip it, chug it, and it goes well with coke. Bourbon Makers Mark is disgustingly sweet when mixed.

FTFY

I prefer bourbon with a good rye hit for mixing with cola. WT86.8 undrinkable neat or on ice - makes a great bourbon and coke.

The only thing I mix with bourbon is dry ginger. Otherwise it becomes horribly sweet.

Been drinking a bit of Canadian Club lately. Not a bad drop. Easy to drink a bottle and not care, I'm not sure of the alcohol content, maybe it's lower than bourbon.

I only ever use diet coke - too much sugar in anything else. When I'm drinking 80% proof I like to think of my health...

I only ever use diet coke - too much sugar in anything else. When I'm drinking 80% proof I like to think of my health...

Care to clear something up for me ?
80 proof = 40%
80% = 160 proof

Care to clear something up for me ?
80 proof = 40%
80% = 160 proof

The above holds true for the USA, but not the UK who use %ABV, but used to use degrees proof, and %ABV=(4/7 x °proof)

Wow it is more complex and logical them you would at first think. Alcohol proof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Alcohol by volume - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Because it is a %v/v and the densities of the solute and solution are not the same, 30mL of 40% spirit is a standard drink or 10g of ethanol.

All this thinking, this late at night, I need a drink!

Have any of you guys tried Black Bottle scotch? From the sounds of things its something I'd like- blend of a whole bunch of Islays :)

Have any of you guys tried Black Bottle scotch? From the sounds of things its something I'd like- blend of a whole bunch of Islays :)

A whole bunch of Islays that the manufacturer didn't think made the grade? :laugh:

It seems to attract plenty of positive press from what I can see online. Can you really go wrong giving it a bash for $45-$50?