Razor wish list

pablo_h

What's the razor you really want, but can't justify the cost, or even find one?

For me it's the GEM open comb 1912, and the Gillette NEW deluxe.
Can't be bothered with any expensive modern types, and don't think I'll spend the money for the popular collector razors (double ring, aristocrats, ranger techs).

But I would like to try shaving with the OC 1912 and the NEW deluxe because I like shaving with the normal 1912 and the standard NEW.

The only razor I`m chasing for now is my birth qtr and yr Slim and/or Fat Boy, I`m patient and will find one for the right money eventually and then its off for a re-plate. Will be on the lookout for some other Gems soon though.

The only razor I`m chasing for now is my birth qtr and yr Slim and/or Fat Boy
It would have to be one or the other, as they weren't made the same time. FB was sold late 50s to 1961, the slim was the successor and came later ~1962.
Only way you could find both is if you were born late 1961. When both were for sale (though I don't think they made both at the same time, so different date code quarter probably even for ones sold in late 1961)

Last edited:
I've got most I want. Wouldn't mind a decent GEM Push Button or a G-Bar. Bullet tip would be nice. But I'm not really hanging out for any of them really. If I stumble across one I'll buy it but otherwise I've got the razor thing under control. I think I've got everything under control at the moment. I need to find another nerdy hobby!

Good thing you don't hang around B&B, oh wait...
They haven't got you collecting straights, pens or hats yet?

I've got most I want. Wouldn't mind a decent GEM Push Button or a G-Bar. Bullet tip would be nice. But I'm not really hanging out for any of them really. If I stumble across one I'll buy it but otherwise I've got the razor thing under control. I think I've got everything under control at the moment. I need to find another nerdy hobby!

Swiss watches ? Now there is a serious AD.

I'll just still with RAD. It has me bad enough. I need to get rid of some but am finding it VERY hard to do so......

Hi Pablo,

If you could design a razor would it look like one of these or a hybrid of both? What parts of these razors do you find so desirable?

Hi Pablo,

If you could design a razor would it look like one of these or a hybrid of both? What parts of these razors do you find so desirable?
For the two razors I mentioned, it couldn't be a hybrid of both, one is an SE and one is a DE.
What I find desirable for either of them is that I have tried the vanilla versions and I like them. They aren't razors I am chasing based on reputation, price tag alone, but they are variants of my already favourite razors but are rarer, so just curiosity to compare to the common ones and test drive.
For design: I think I get along with razors with either long handles or ones with some weight and great grip. And I prefer the more aggressive ones with finer tolerances, no mild razor has ever given me a close shave, I need lots of against the grain shaving and touch ups for milder razors. The more aggressive the razor, the less I need that extra pass and touch ups. The less I need that, the quicker the shaving, the longer the blade lasts.

Amazes me the play in the blade that modern or 2 post vintage and modern razors have in DE with their round posts on a square holed probak/NI (edit: I meant goodwills, not NI), blade pattern. Blade manufacturers probably are lax in their QC so maybe that's why they seem so loose. So when using DE, I prefer DE razors that have the wide slot positioning system, like all vintage Gillette TTOs and 3 piece NEWs

Last edited:
My razor wish list

See my sig - after one for a gift to my son

VVVVVVVVVVVV

1974 Gillette Super Speed Silver Tip.

That's on my wish list as it's a birth year for me.

Edit: found one on Ebay...should get it as no one has bid.

Last edited:
1974 Gillette Super Speed Silver Tip.

That's on my wish list as it's a birth year for me.

Edit: found one on Ebay...should get it as no one has bid.
You mean the black handled SS. Shame, as I had a 1973 one. Got rid of it as I lost interest in birth year razors and just wanted the good shaving ones. Rather have a slim or NEW more that birth year razors, aristocrats, double rings, 1-5 fatboys etc etc.

There's heaps I don't prefer but still keep though, like TV SS (as I got rid on all my normal flare tip, inc birth year black handle SS, I may as well keep the one rarer one), And the 1949 one that I'm not such a huge fan off, but in it's case, mint condition with paper instruction sheet and I paid $40 + shipping for it, keeping it because I probably couldn;t make my money back on it.

Speaking of...

It turned up today in the post.

Mint condition, in a case. I will take a pic and throw it up over the next day or so.

Got the Push Button and Bullet tip/Flying Wing. Haven't found another nerdy hobby though.

well on my wish list would be a wade&butcher 8/8 chopper they look awesome and a great shave

I saw one near nos on the sea of bay it went for over a 1k (mind you the razor was round the 1800s)

oh and maybe filimonica 14 a great razor from Spain

well on my wish list would be a wade&butcher 8/8 chopper they look awesome and a great shave

I saw one near nos on the sea of bay it went for over a 1k (mind you the razor was round the 1800s)

oh and maybe filimonica 14 a great razor from Spain

Don't know a lot about straights but isn't an 8/8 basically an inch wide or something? That would be huge. You could shave an elephant with one of those. Would look impressive. I like the look of the wider ones.