Razors that are slightly more aggressive than…

Trapezoid

the Muhle R89 and Merkur 23c.

I started with a Wahl safety razor (https://www.shavershop.com.au/wahl/safety-razor-008588.html). It was recommended to me by the shop keep after a little discussion about it being my first DE razor. Pro tip – don’t buy the Wahl.

After acquiring the Muhle R89 and Merkur 23c 4 weeks ago I was absolutely shocked at how comfortable and pleasurable they have been. I can actually shave every day with those. I could only shave once a week with the Wahl. I wonder why I put up with the Wahl for so long now that I know the difference.

At any rate the one thing the Wahl does, that the R89 and 23c do not, is leave me 100% smooth. After 3 passes with the Wahl I’ve got a few nicks and bites (nothing so bad an alum block won’t fix) but I am left clean if uncomfortable. The R89 and 23c require a 4th pass that gets me 95% of the way there and it annoys me because its 5% short of being perfect. To me shaving is about being left 100 % smooth. With that said the R89 and 23c are perfect for my head shaving. Despite their mildness they do exactly as good of a job on my scalp as the Wahl with significantly less nicks and irritation.

Any suggestions for a razor that is slightly more aggressive than the R89/23c? I’m looking at the Muhle R41 because it couldn’t possibly be more aggressive than the Wahl.

To help limit suggestions it has to be a 3 piece, less than $100AUD and preferably locally sourced.

Thanks for any help.

Dan

The r41 is more than just slightly more aggressive than the mild r89. Very efficient but comes with lots of blade feel but still a great shaver. maybe the gamechanger 84P is for you, slightly more aggressive than r89 but much more efficient and still very smooth, 3 piece and SS not zamack for around $100

If you want aggressive you should go with a Gillette open comb. Out of my razor collection, without any doubt the Gillette Tuckaway is the most aggressive, more so than the Gillette Old, which itself is a great razor and I think could be your Goldilocks razor. These can be picked up on Ebay for well under $100 and much better value than a brand new German model.

+1 for @StratMan and @tullfan 's suggestion of .84P Game Changer

I have the Muhler R41 and agree with what Stratman said. The .84P (solid bar) is a very good choice. Efficient but smooth. See link for Vshod.

http://www.vshod.com/razorock/RazoR...Steel-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Australia.html

I have (had:)) both the .84P and the .84 OC . I have lent the .84P to a friend who I think likes it and my son has the .84OC.
Is the open comb noticibly more efficient than the s/b ?

Is the open comb noticibly more efficient than the s/b ?
Yes but not rediculously so. It's a step up in aggression but there is also some lost smoothness, comfort. Getting closer to the R41. I could use the .84P as a daily shaver but not the .84 OC or the R41. My son finds the .84 OC ideal as he doesn't shave everyday and SB razors clog a bit on him. I gave him a Colonial General SS singing it's praises and he used it once and said it was useless as it clogged up trying to shave his beard (couple of weeks growth).