Recommend a soap

CTP

Thankyou all for making me feel so welcome.

Recommend me a soap or 2??

Here’s a breakdown of all the shaving soaps I currently own - in preferential order.

4889757-E-1533-40-F3-BA4-D-77917510-B53-D.jpg

In joint first is B+M - Seville & Moon Soaps - Union. It’s too close to make a call and they’re very different. I love the citrus, rich, high end barbershop smell with the Seville. It just ooozes premium lavishness. Likewise, the moon soap never fails to provide a thick creamy lather.

Joint second are B+Ms Le Grand Chypre and B+Ms Fougère Gothique. Again - I love the rich deep scents that come through; more bergamot, lime, citrus, sandalwood and leather.

The rest are mostly untouched. The Prorosa Green and the Trafalgar only tend to come out on hot days when I’m after something light and refreshing.

In the background I’ve just ordered 5 Sterling Samples from Artisan Arcade (Agar, Electric Sheep, Executive Man, Ozark, & Texas on Fire).

Chris

Thankyou all for making me feel so welcome.

Recommend me a soap or 2??

Here’s a breakdown of all the shaving soaps I currently own - in preferential order.

4889757-E-1533-40-F3-BA4-D-77917510-B53-D.jpg

In joint first is B+M - Seville & Moon Soaps - Union. It’s too close to make a call and they’re very different. I love the citrus, rich, high end barbershop smell with the Seville. It just ooozes premium lavishness. Likewise, the moon soap never fails to provide a thick creamy lather.

Joint second are B+Ms Le Grand Chypre and B+Ms Fougère Gothique. Again - I love the rich deep scents that come through; more bergamot, lime, citrus, sandalwood and leather.

The rest are mostly untouched. The Prorosa Green and the Trafalgar only tend to come out on hot days when I’m after something light and refreshing.

In the background I’ve just ordered 5 Sterling Samples from Artisan Arcade (Agar, Electric Sheep, Executive Man, Ozark, & Texas on Fire).

Chris

Scent is subjective.

My advice, do your homework, actually read the comments in the Shave of the day thread, and ask individual members their thoughts on anything your interested in.

Try as many soaps as you can, and if you don't like them, just put them up for sale on Buy, Sell, Trade thread.

Cheers @alfredus - I’ve been trawling through the Lather Shots and Shave of the Day pages looking for inspiration.

in these crazy times I’ll sound like an unhygienic lunatic for saying it - but there’s a part of me that just wants to head to a shop and start sniffing all the different soaps.

i think I’m going to try and get up to the Stray Whisker at some point and have a look around there :)

C

@SpeedyPC @Razor Burn

I ordered two soaps from WFTW last night - ended up ordering “all things nice” and also “Pomelo”. Excited for them to arrive now :)
You bloody ripper @CTP, you’ll never stop smelling tub of All Things Nice even when you’re not shaving.

+ 1 to every soap mentioned here, I have them all.. I do believe the performance of A&E is better than WFW and both A&E scents are amazing but the WFW scent is incredible

Also the PAA (Phoenix Accoutrements) new CK6 formula is up there with the best Ive had, and yet to come across a scent I don’t like..

another high emd is MdC (Martin De Cantre) it’s a hard triple milled soap that will last a very long time and another one x excellent performer

and let’s not forget good old tabac, another triple milled soap

+1 for the All Things Nice and Whispers From The Woods deserve attention from the packaging/customer service alone!
In general any of the local artisans/makers are highly recommended, stock permitting, so checkout Squadron Soaps, Washpool, Face Fat or Australian Private Reserve as many are doing things though during these crazy times. (y)

Some great suggestions thus far with plenty of inspiration found in the Lather Shot & SOTD Threads. :love:

@Gargravarr - Thankyou buddy. I’d never even heard of Mikes Natural and Mystic waters u til you mentioned them.

Just to be sure - are they an American company, selling theirs soaps in old school screw cap tins? Similar to deep shoe polish tins?

to date I have sort of shrugged off ordering from any American websites as the last couple of times I ordered from West Coast Shaving it felt like the order took months to arrive :(

C

...but on the other hand, there are many other artisans less local that made been making solid products for years - Mike's Natural and Mystic Water come to mind, that maybe aren't so trendy anymore, but are still fantastic.
We're truly spoilt for choice with many top soaps flooding the market and readably available.
I'm yet to try Mystic Waters but can confirm Mikes Natural soap is an underrated winner - top 5 for me for performance and post shave feel plus clean ingredients to ensure optimal performance.
I prefer the tin version myself but you can get the puck locally from vshod with some pleasant scents. (y)
I saw @StratMan suggest PAA and the new CK6 formula which I haven't tried yet but I read its a vast improvement on the older vegan formula which was surprisingly good. Just goes to show you a shaving soap doesn't necessarily need fancy donkey/goats milk, bisson, bear or duck tallow to work so well! ;)

Last edited:
@Gargravarr - Thankyou buddy. I’d never even heard of Mikes Natural and Mystic waters u til you mentioned them.

Just to be sure - are they an American company, selling theirs soaps in old school screw cap tins? Similar to deep shoe polish tins?

to date I have sort of shrugged off ordering from any American websites as the last couple of times I ordered from West Coast Shaving it felt like the order took months to arrive :(

C
I'm not sure if Mike changed his formula as the newer version comes in a plastic tub or puck and feels softer than the older tin version? Whilst a harder soap the performance is wonderful as evident by the many examples posted by @alfredus in the Lather Shots. No fancy ingredients so less chance of disappointment but be cautious as contains lanolin incase it bothers you.

C
Not sure what Mike's is doing at the moment, but Michelle at Mystic Water uses plastic tubs and/or refills. And she'll usually stuff the package up to maximum weight with free samples. She's a pleasure to deal with, and gets a big recommendation from me. (My favorite of her soaps - so far - is Jeff's Lavender, but as usual, YMMV.)