Recommend an aggressive razor

Feather Artist Club or KAI Captain. Doesn't get more aggressive than that! :woot:

IME much depends on the blades. If using a mild razor, then sharp blades are a must (eg Feather) and discard them early (1-2 shaves) before they lose their edge. If using an aggressive razor, then smooth blades are a must. It can all be managed though - when I use my Artist Club with Feather blades (an extreme combo of both sharp blades and aggressive razor), the first couple of shaves are fine if I just go with the grain (for a nice DFS) but going ATG (for an attempt at BBS) will most likely result in irritation or other damage. But shaves 3-15 are great after that - the blades smooth out nicely and are still plenty sharp enough for an ATG BBS. And shaving with a knife is great...

I'm also a fan of Fatips in nickel finish but I admit the blade alignment could be better - doesn't take much to fix though and the brass / price combo is hard to beat. But only with a mild blade unless you like being extremely careful (Lord blades are great in my Fatip).

So whatever aggressive razor you buy, make sure you try a bunch of different blades in it. What works in some razors may not work in others and vice versa. So far, I've managed to find a blade for every razor - even that Merkur you have. For that Merkur, it was only Personna Lab Blues that would give me an excellent result and those blades in any other razor result in a horrible mess for me. So I'm of the belief there is a blade for every razor for most faces - you just have to find it.

Just found my grail razor and blade combo for the ultimate close shave.

Razorrock Hawk V3 OC with a Feather pro super blade. Finally I am satisfied with an efficient shave. It's been A long while.

The blade works better for me than in the Artist club SS scotch , and so much quicker.

This razor and blade combo makes the R41 look mIld.
Sorry R41 you have been retired.:)

Warning, if your not a fan of blade feel stay away.

Would be interesting if a DE blade could be as sharp as the the Feather AC pro super blades.

The Parker Semi Slant might be worth a try. Cheap enough and easy to come by. I don't care for the longish handle it comes with so I paired mine with a Weber bulldog handle.

I sort of regard the R41 as my benchmark for aggressive razors, especially because it's relatively cheap and easily obtainable. If you go down this path, you might want to consider getting a better handle that's not so slippery (the thread is a normal M5). I used a Maggard MR8 for a while, but many will find that too much, a solid lump of stainless weighing 148g just by itself. One of the bulldog options will also work well without straining your arm.

My personal preference for aggressive razors at the moment is the Razorock JAWS, a nice stainless steel tool at a good price point. It's probably a tad less aggressive than the R41, but with sharper blades it's great. I find the head a little less bulky, so easier to use above the upper lip. And the handle is super-grippy.

Speaking of the aggressive razor, the baddest beast the iKon Tech is back in stock, it’s twice as bad as the R41.

So, who has the biggest fearless bare balls to give the iKon Tech a bloody spin, may the P&C force be with you and your bloodbath shave.

See link https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/ikon-shavecraft-tech-head-only/

images

Last edited:
Interesting, I will still put my Razorrock Hawk OC with Feather pro super blades up against it.

I still have the Merke
Speaking of the aggressive razor, the baddest beast the iKon Tech is back in stock, it’s twice as bad as the R41.

So, who has the biggest fearless bare balls to give the iKon Tech a bloody spin, may the P&C force be with you and your bloodbath shave.

images

Sounds like a challenge.

Ordered + some soaps. :) :)

Hmmm, interesting. Looks like it has both a sharp blade presentation angle AND a big gap. At least it's not an OC. Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days. Not on my balls though... :eek:

My last order from Maggard took over 5 weeks to arrive, so maybe I'll wait and see if the transport thing settles down before I order anything from the US again...

See link https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/ikon-shavecraft-tech-head-only/

At that level, what's the point?

Who enjoys shaving at that level where you need to be meticulous with every single stroke and angle?

The R41 with a feather was dangerous enough and bordered not being enjoyable, it sits there for me as a display razor because I can't be bothered fighting with it.

Who enjoys shaving at that level where you need to be meticulous with every single stroke and angle?

The R41 with a feather was dangerous enough and bordered not being enjoyable, it sits there for me as a display razor because I can't be bothered fighting with it.

agreed.. I have tried a feather in the R41 and although it was a very close shave it was uncomfortable so i dont use those in this razor. My favorite by far is the polsilver blade in the r41, its sharp enough but very smooth, perfect combo. Persona Platinums are also good.

from memory i think the german wilkies are great in this also, nearly as smooth but a bit sharper than a polsilver. I will give this combo a try later this week and let you know.. but tonight is wolfman wednesday :)

agreed.. I have tried a feather in the R41 and although it was a very close shave it was uncomfortable so i dont use those in this razor. My favorite by far is the polsilver blade in the r41, its sharp enough but very smooth, perfect combo. Persona Platinums are also good.

from memory i think the german wilkies are great in this also, nearly as smooth but a bit sharper than a polsilver. I will give this combo a try later this week and let you know.. but tonight is wolfman wednesday :)

Took the words out of my last post :)

I team it up with the German Wilkie's, it's the sharpest I'll go. Still a very slow process and need to be careful.

I've bought so many razors, but my first is still my favourite. My DE89 and a Feather are still the best combo for me.

Took the words out of my last post :)

I team it up with the German Wilkie's, it's the sharpest I'll go. Still a very slow process and need to be careful.

I've bought so many razors, but my first is still my favourite. My DE89 and a Feather are still the best combo for me.

good to hear the DE89 is working for you, and yes you need to keep your concentration up when shaving with the R41. This is one thing i enjoy about the R41 (along with the efficient shave it gives), as it changes up the mindless shaves of other razors.

my first razor was also the DE89 and paired with a feather brings out its best efficiency, its also super smooth but unfortunately for me the best i can get from this razor is DFS

I do.
I will explain, because of the frequent bbs shaving I attain for on every shave, my already tough whiskers on the 2nd to 3rd day develop an extra Kevlar coating. They are tough. I never get more than 3 or 4 shaves tops from any DE blade. Normally 2-3 and blade becomes unusable.

I am a self admintant BBS shaver on every shave. I do achieve this 95% of the time.

The more aggresive the razor the closer the shave for me. This means less shaves per week and definately no daily shaving required. For instance, I shaved this past Sunday with an aggresssive razor and blade. Only today I can feel the stubble growth. It's not rough like sandpaper that I would normally get from using a milder razor and blade combo.
Tommorrow will be a Shave day. That's 3 days I have not needed to shave and no 5 o'clock shadow. BBS lasting me over 24-48 hours. Although I can achieve BBS with almost any razor with a sharp blade, there is more effort required and less time in between shaves. Using an aggressive razor and blade, for me works out more efficient. I have tuned my skills to be able to do so and be comfortable.

My skin has taken time to adjust to this. This did not happen over night. I had to learn and train my skin and shaving techniques over years. I still am constantly learning new razor, blade, and lathering combinations.

Example for myself .
For Me the R41 I can put on cruIse control with no issues. This is not an aggressive razor for me.
Merker Futur setting 6 gives me a good shave except for the moustache area where I have to buffer alot as I have a deep bridge under my nose.

Karve SB F plate I enjoy although to me it's a mid aggressive razor. I would like to try the G plate OC or SB.

I enjoy slant razors. The Yaqi and Wunderbar are decent.

I also enjoy Feather artist Club Shavettes. I am still learning to perfect my skills with the sharper blades, so I am cautious and take my time, to learn what works and what doesn't ( drawing blood :) )

I live my life 1 wet shave at a time.
For those 30 mins, I am free.

Last edited:
good to hear the DE89 is working for you, and yes you need to keep your concentration up when shaving with the R41. This is one thing i enjoy about the R41 (along with the efficient shave it gives), as it changes up the mindless shaves of other razors.

my first razor was also the DE89 and paired with a feather brings out its best efficiency, its also super smooth but unfortunately for me the best i can get from this razor is DFS

What is DFS?