Recommend me a synth

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I have a silvertip that’s just a bit soft for my taste and thought I’d like to move him on and try a synth-
Been a long while since I looked at brushes so tell me Gents.. what’s the good word?
Let’s say $100 budget roughly

i can 3 synths, the rr silvertip I don’t care for at all and two yaqi’s With mew brown and tuxedo knots... I love the two yaqi’s, give them a try and u won’t b me disappointed and there cheap with a reseller in Australia

You won’t need to spend $100 on a synthetic brush but you can spend up to that on getting a cool handle. My favourites are Wild West Brushworks on Etsy. Keep an eye open and often there are some at reduced prices.

For knots, my favourite is Tuxedo. I have this, Timber Wolf and Plisson (maybe plissoft can’t remember if there’s a difference).

Any of them are fine and Yaqi is a good place to dip the toe in.

Just had a look at the yaqi site.. they make some that are... interesting to say the least.

Muhle/EJ XL

Yeah, lovely but again you can get three synthetic brushes from yaqi, dscosmetic Oumo and CSB etc
The Muhle XL is rather expensive now.
OP asked for Synth recommendations with a 100$ budget

At G&C both EJ and Muhle currently ~50EUR with the discount code...surely that hit's the brief?

If it had been "recommend me a cheap synthetic" I would have never dared to post ;)

BTW: if someone has a synthetic that is as good as or better than the Muhle/EJ XL (except Simpson) - and I am only talking about the knot, not the handle and not the price - please shoot me a PM.

OP asked for Synth recommendations with a 100$ budget
Yes, apologies you were on the ball.
BTW: if someone has a synthetic that is as good as or better than the Muhle/EJ XL (except Simpson) - and I am only talking about the knot, not the handle and not the price - please shoot me a PM.
Haven't tried it but hear/read that the Frank Shaving G4 has merit in that department.

In case OP is after something cheaper/entry level, I've been using this 24mm from Maggards. They also do a 22mm and 30mm.
https://www.maggardrazors.com/produ...k-white-synthetic-shaving-brush-black-handle/
I did bring it to one of the Canberra meets and was told it was floppier than some of the other synthetic knots, but it still loads and lathers well. I bowl lather though.

For $14 US it's what I recommend to other people I introduce to wet shaving.

Edit: If you were after a Yaqi and don't trust aliexpress, West Coast Shaving stock some. https://www.westcoastshaving.com/collections/synthetic-shaving-brushes

Thanks for the recommendations gents-
I have pulled the trigger on one of the yaqi from maggards off one of the guys on the forum (win-win) looks a bit different to the one pictured above but time will tell.

Yes, apologies you were on the ball.

Haven't tried it but hear/read that the Frank Shaving G4 has merit in that department.
I received a G4 knot from FS and it has an almost ~10mm glue bump...

Hi @alfredus when you say (except Simpson) what is your recommended Simpson synthetic?
I got a 24mm Maggard as a decent cheap entry level to pilot but found it too soft and floppy, perhaps a tried and tested quality one will change my mind.

Muhle/EJ XL (except Simpson)

Hi @alfredus when you say (except Simpson) what is your recommended Simpson synthetic?
I got a 24mm Maggard as a decent cheap entry level to pilot but found it too soft and floppy, perhaps a tried and tested quality one will change my mind.

i had a Chubby 2 Synthetic and it is the closest synthetic to a natural hair brush...it is very dense and has some decent backbone, but you can lather very well...similar to a good 2-band badger.

But it still doesn't have the "soul" of a badger, so I passed it on. I use my synthetic only for traveling and for that I prefer the Muhle/EJ XL - as it is less dense and needs less time/work to create a decent lather. I am also not a fan of the Chubby 2 handle, as it is too small for my paws...

But if you are looking for a synthetic, that comes close to a natural hair/badger brush, those are the only ones I have found so far.

Although I haven't tried out the various new knots from Yaqi and the like, I am quiet certain, that they are all...too different from badgers for me to like (judging from the pics and reviews).

If you are looking for a synthetic for practical reasons (like me travel etc.) or for moral reasons, I would strongly suggests getting both of those (Chubby 2 synth, Muhle/EJ XL )in and be done with it...

Else I would highly recommend going the badger route and be done with it as well. If you think, you are saving money...you will buy numerous synthetics, get a decent badger, fall in love and all that money on synthetics will be wasted (speaking of course from personal experince) :D :D :D

Thanks @alfredus, I have a Duke 2 Pure Badger that is still breaking in. TBH I am perfectly happy with Semogue Boar brushes (still on my first). I dont know if I can resist the lure of a quality synthetic. I can blame morality or functionality but probably just curiosity and new experiences. If I do venture down that path I will be sure to take your advice and try the Chubby/Muhle/EJ XL.
Started searching and came up with Simpsons Progress Vulfix H2 Synthetic Shaving for 1/2 the price of a Chubby. Any experience?
Lpfs6GI.png

Last edited: