Recommendations for a true rose soap?

Gargravarr

Our resident snake charmer
Hi all,
Anybody got good suggestions for a well-performing shave soap with a true old-fashioned rose scent? I sometimes hear people say this is a feminine scent, but I think that's bullshit. There are no masculine/feminine scents. (Unless you include Arko, but I wouldn't even use that on my dogs.)

Yonks ago I had a Stirling rose that was OK, but they've apparently given up on that, as it's no longer available. I realise the cost of rose essential oil is huge, but I don't have a problem with paying for that if it's worth it. I've seen MdC Rose at vshod, but am a bit reluctant to fork out $100 for a soap that appears to have no moisturising ingredients.

Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say...

Yes, MdC is about $100, but you have to realise that 1 jar would probably last you a whole year of daily shaving. As for it having no "moisturising" components, don't let this put you off. I have two MdC soaps and I don't find either of them any less moisturising than any of my other soaps e.g. Barrister and Mann's reserve.

... I have two MdC soaps and I don't find either of them any less moisturising than any of my other soaps e.g. Barrister and Mann's reserve.
Thanks for that. The longevity of MdC is somewhat legendary, and not having tried it, I won't say otherwise. I read some reviews from users who complained about drying effects, but it looks like I'll just have to save up my pocket money and try it out for myself 🙂

Thanks for that. The longevity of MdC is somewhat legendary, and not having tried it, I won't say otherwise. I read some reviews from users who complained about drying effects, but it looks like I'll just have to save up my pocket money and try it out for myself 🙂

MdC definitely dried out my skin.
It's high coconut oil plus lacks moisturizing ingredients so didn't suit me well.

I generally don't need moisturizing stuff in tallow soaps or even stearic acid soaps but the high coconut oil is too cleansing and drying for my skin.

I have Geo F Trumper Rose shave cream. Very nice rose scented cream. I believe they also do a shave soap. They also have a matching balm "Coral skin food". Good Combination.

I have Geo F Trumper Rose shave cream. Very nice rose scented cream. I believe they also do a shave soap. They also have a matching balm "Coral skin food". Good Combination.
How did you go with the GFT shave cream? I tried one of their soaps a while back and had terrible lather issues. Nowadays you can usually expect that if you pay ~$30+ a tub, you'll usually get a soap that lathers impeccably, and the GFT was an exception. I think this was after they changed their formula to a glycerin-based recipe.

How did you go with the GFT shave cream? I tried one of their soaps a while back and had terrible lather issues. Nowadays you can usually expect that if you pay ~$30+ a tub, you'll usually get a soap that lathers impeccably, and the GFT was an exception. I think this was after they changed their formula to a glycerin-based recipe.

The shave cream is great. Lathers like pretty much all the other Jermyn Street shaving vendors creams. Quality products, if you can get them when the specials are on, are good value.

I've had the GFT cream. I would rate the lather as middle of the road but the rose scent is pretty spot on if you like that sort of thing. As I find lather more important, it's not one I will re-stock.

... As I find lather more important, it's not one I will re-stock.
If I have to pay that much for a tub of soap, I want it to do everything. (Well, maybe I don't actually need multiple orgasms while I'm shaving :oops:). Otherwise it's another for the disappointment locker.