Recommendations for DE

erobins

Just some background information I currently have a mekur futur and find it too aggressive.
I am shaving every 2-3 days and have course growth. I have been recommended the gamechanger open comb 0.84.
My budget is $100-150 Australian dollars. Would you have any recommendations? Anyone can also recommend a blade for the futur? Thank you. Emanuel

Agree with the GameChanger also consider the Rockwell 6s.
Get a trial pack of various blades but include Gillette GSB in the list.
Vshod include pucks of blades with purchases.

I do not have a good track record with either.
Both are popular choices and you should try both.
As you can see, one size does definitely not fit all

Hi Emmanuel.

Nice to hear from you!
I find Polsilver and Perma Sharp work really well in a Merkur Futur (and I also have coarse growth).

Cheers,

Tom

Personally I would not recommend Voshkod's there are a lot better (Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver, Nacet) the list goes on.
Get a sample pack with a few of these among others. Don't miss out on the experience of mixing and matching and realisation "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts".
The bar will rise very quickly as you experience different combinations. Who are you buying the GC through? They usually throw in a few freebies.

Hi @Holiday and @tullfan thanks for your help. How would you rate voshkod and rapira in the futur and gamechanger?

The GC OC .84 ticks all your boxes of price, quality, efficiency and smoothness..

I like rapira blades in the oc, they are not the sharpest but they are smooth

To me voskhod are neither sharp or smooth. not my favourite

Give polsilvers a go for sure..imho they are the best combo for sharp and smooth.. for super sharp try a feather, nacet or Wilkinson (German) blades are all excellent

The 6s is also a great razor offering u an ‘adjustable ‘ razor, but its most aggressive plate is still milder than the efficiency of the GC OC which was a better all round and more nimble razor

Good luck

Thanks everyone for their help. Gamechanger seems like the best choice at the moment would open comb be the best choice at 0.84 blade gap?

Thanks everyone for their help. Gamechanger seems like the best choice at the moment would open comb be the best choice at 0.84 blade gap?

This would depend on your hair growth. If you have average growth/coverage and hair thickness the 0.84 SB would be the one for you. If you have lots of coverage and strong growth the OC would be the one. Technique will determine your comfort level also.

Level of aggressiveness is 0.84 SB (mild) then 0.84 OC then 0.84 JAWS both very efficient.

Considering you shave every 2-3 i would say an OC or JAWs but thats me.. I once tried the 0.84 SB and although it was extremely smooth it was a little too mild for me

Comes down to what you like. The 0.84-P (solid bar) is smoother and the OC is more efficient/aggressive. If you're looking for a daily driver I'd go the 0.84-P. I enjoy using both but I'd default to the 0.84 -P just because of it's comfort level. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just get both. (Correct P&C enabling answer).

@erobins i have found the JAWS takes all my favorite blades well, but one thing to note is that blades are a very subjective thing to individuals

my #1 blade is the polsilver SI, and its been great in all the razors i use.. for me the perfect balance of smooth and sharp

I also use feathers when i really want it sharp, but this isnt as smooth as the polsilver
my mate (and a lot of people) love nacets, to me they are very sharp but not as smooth
rapira are not as sharp as polsilvers but very very smooth
wilkinson sword (black pack made in germany) are great, smooth and sharp and last a while, i have only used one of these but very impressed and will buy more soon

considering you are getting the milder GC 0.84 P, i would suggest a sharper blade def give the polsivers a try and wilkinson sword / feather

My top two, Feather and Astra Blues.