Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I picked this up in a trade with @stillshunter recently. Been meaning to try these soaps for a while.

Soap can be purchased from https://reefpointsoaps.com/

It is a tallow based soap with a scent description (from website here) as follow - 'a deep, warm fragrance with notes of vanilla, incense, patchouli, amber and blood orange. '

I've used this for the about a week now, interspersed with a cold, a day off shaving and a day with Mike's to get a reference for comparison. The review will follow my standard format borrowed from @silver :)

Packaging
The Reef Point products come in a the pretty standard 115g (4oz) size and in the ubiquitous shallow and wide mouthed tubs of good artisan suppliers.

The labelling and styling of their products is very nautical as befits their name. It is clean and not unpleasant. Products have largely nautical inspired names, which is not always helpful, but some have more descriptive titles. I'm not sure where 'Dragon's Blood' fits in that categorisation!

IMG_3078_1024x1024.JPG

Scent
A fairly powerful scent with good lasting properties. I like it and the patchouli certainly lingers.

Latherability
You can see from the lather I posted (Lather Shots) that you can get some lather out of this little puppy. It performed consistently throughout the testing never disappointing across a range of brushes. It is not quite as free flowing as some others but pretty simply to get going,

Shave Performance
This is a good soap with good slickness and glide and a decent level of protection. Post shave glide is the only area where it may be a little lacking.

Post shave feel
My face feels good post shave, clean and nourished but without feeling 'refreshed' by the experience.

Conclusion
I've used some really good soaps recently. This is a good soap, it certainly has a place on the top shelf.

Having said that, would I rush out and buy more to ensure I always had some? Hmmm, maybe not. I will hunt out SH till I find a scent I like, I will always have Mike's on hand and have purchased backups of HeV and are looking to do the same with my P&B. The Reef Point, maybe. If I'm ordering from somewhere that has it I will pick some up, or if I see a bargain on the B/S/T I will grab it. Why when it is a top shelf soaps? No idea, that vagaries of humankind I suppose :)

Just a further reminder about my shaving soap hypothesis. It is that there will be some soaps that are 'top shelf' and some that are 'second tier'. As I said, this is a 'second tier' soap. My guess is that between the top shelf soaps differences are likely to be impacted by other factors, including user error. So I would happily recommend all my 'top shelf' soaps to others on the basis that personal 'rankings' might vary a little.

'Second tier' soaps are good and I would not avoid them or recommend against buying them. Scents and other personal factors may make them more desirable for you and indeed your experience in use may be different as well.

Great write up, good stuff! I still haven't used the sample you provided to me yet. The scent is amazingly strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
The scent reminds me of walking into a hippie, newage type shop in Byron Bay. That incense smell comes through for me with this soap :) Not for me, but sure that some would love lol

The scent reminds me of walking into a hippie, newage type shop in Byron Bay. That incense smell comes through for me with this soap :) Not for me, but sure that some would love lol

Wow man, sounds really cool ...

Definitely a soap with scent!

Hey - Happy shaving :)

I thought that the Tallow versions included the Tussah Silk?

See the descriptions on @Anthony's site which indicate - 'This soap is NON-VEGAN due to the Tussah Silk, Tallow and Lanolin used in it's production.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Just in even the new release blends add the Silk other than this Tallow which having sampled a few I reckon is over rated now those that have tried Shaver Heavens Silk blend in days gone by would know what i mean it was awesome

200+ soaps and Reef Point is still in my " top tier."
YMMV

Wait, no one else thought to pull @bazman up on this? 200 soaps? I can't even comprehend it.
Do you still have that many, or is that how many you have tried since starting wet shaving?
Are they full pucks or are you including samples?
Why?

I've tried most generations of the soaps made by @Anthony and the current is so user friendly, I would be gutted if it disappeared.
As they say, YMMV :)
Maybe if there's enough interest, you could inquire about privately ordering a batch?