Replacing scales?

I know. I doubt it is... he is a welder by trade, so every tool is BIGGER!

I'll just go to the hardware in Pinjarra and get a baby one if I have to. No bother.

This should be interesting, and possibly fun. I might put the blade on the stones before I go. That way it will be basically shave ready once the scales are replaced.

Might I suggest that you don't hone the blade before attaching the scales - you only have more chances of
a. damaging the edge and
b. damaging yourself while working on the scales.
Here is what I use to peen my pins
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2oz-Ball...ree-Postage-/391257997557?hash=item5b18cb40f5
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/All-Purp...ree-Postage-/381397492781?hash=item58cd0fe42d
Don't forget - many light taps rather than a few heavy ones and always polish the ball so as to get a good finish on the pins
Hope this helps

if your really worried about the hammer slipping could always use a punch instead of just the hammer straight out if your more comfortable. i guess it all comes down to how stable you can get it all sitting before hammering.
personally i'd rather spend 30 minutes getting it all in place nice and solid before i start hitting then have it a bit wobbly and regret it after the hammer slips and messes something up

Nice tips here :)

Sheesh! You'd think I could get a small Ball-Pein hammer from Bunnings or Masters. Nope. And even less success from the little guys. And I sincerely doubt that it is a Perth thing, too.

Thank you, @Havachat45 , eBay was my next landing spot, and you have saved me a search.

One last thing. Without looking in the box again, to me the pin seems quite long on this scale set. Is it going to be a problem to snip the pin shorter, if it does turn out to be too long? I'm assuming that it is deliberately longer, to accommodate all blade widths.

I suspect it would be longer. It could be a little 4/8 up to a 9/8 wedge. There's no problem making it shorter. It needs just enough either side to be domed over. As long as you leave room for your washer stack etc.

i know big hardware stores are the obvious but if you have a few of them chinese junk shops around check them for cheap lil ball peens. other option might be supersheap or auto-one type store.if they all still fail look on hobby jewelry sites. i got one a few years back off one for about 5 bucks and it's pretty much just a ball peen version of a tack hammer

Toy'R'Us have good quality flush cutters that cut flat for pins that need a trim - also a fine, flat or triangular file is handy for dressing the end of the pin flat.
As an indication of how hard to hit the pin - never hit harder than you would on the base of your thumbnail before it hurts

So... finally got around to replacing these scales. Christmas / New Year was busy for us at work, then I decided to destroy the back deck on my house. It was on the second floor, now it is in landfill. Another item to be replaced.

I ended up going to eBay last week to grab a small ball-pein hammer. Someone in Sydney had one going cheap (and new), so I jumped on it.

Below are images off the progress, which was faster than I thought it would be. Maybe 10 minutes after I started, I was finished.

gdx6jFW.jpg
- The original scales still on...

KGTibUr.jpg
- Close-up view of the damaged scales.

qGtrNXK.jpg
- The Puma blade, naked.

UPSsk58.jpg
- Our finished product.

Tonight I will sterilise, hone, strop and give the blade it's first passes in it's new home.

I couldn't. It was an impression in the scales, gilt filled. I did give it thought, but it would mean actually cutting into the scales, and chunking out a section. If it were a surface label, then it would have happened for sure.

bummer. I know some of the other brands it's a brass piece, that can be carefully removed, though usually destroys the original scales.

Hi all
Is anyone here aware of any Australian suppliers / stockists for replacement scales?
knivesaustralia.com.au no longer has them.
Thanks in advance.

no stock replacements here, but new ones can be made to suit,
I did recently replaced 2 sets of Dovo scales with new factory replacement scales the owner got direct from Dovo (Germany?),
as hey managed to kill his scales with some odd chemical used to clean them & made them brittle & fall apart