Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
OK, I think I'm a convert.

The Reserve Sear Method, something like this or other versions.

Consistent, reliable, predictable. Guaranteed quality steak at the end with less variability. (These are NOT my photos BTW - from the site linked to above, which is one of many)

steak-platter-33.jpg

steak-platter-46.jpg

steak-platter-70.jpg

[grabs popcorn, awaits heckling]

Last edited:

Consistent, reliable, predictable. Guaranteed quality steak at the end with less variability.

steak-platter-33.jpg

steak-platter-46.jpg

steak-platter-70.jpg

Looks good.

BUT

80 mins to cook a steak?

Consistent, reliable, predictable. Guaranteed quality steak at the end with less variability.

steak-platter-33.jpg

steak-platter-46.jpg

steak-platter-70.jpg

Do yourself a favour and get a Weber kettle and try the reverse sear on that mate.

Looks good.

BUT

80 mins to cook a steak?

More like 50 minutes - 40 minutes in the oven (medium rare) and 10 minutes rest and then a couple to sear BUT you are not there all the time watching it - so it is pretty set and forget ...

Do yourself a favour and get a Weber kettle and try the reverse sear on that mate.

Hmmm, maybe, but this is working pretty fine for me :)

Or grab a cast iron pan - turn the gas flame up past the wazza doodle (thats cooks talk for really f*cking hot) put pan on flame until a little bit of fat cut off the steak jumps around in the pan like a bare footed beach goer crossing the road to buy an ice cream - meanwhile back to the steak - toss in some rock salt toss steak on top 3 to 4 minutes later flip steak - another couple of minutes and take it off rest if you must then eat.
If you are going to spend 50 minutes cooking a piece of meat you might as well do a leg of lamb :)

It works. But I’m too lazy.

1. Bring steak to room temperature for half an hour
2. Preheat cast iron for 5 minutes.
3. Light season of salt
4. 2 minutes one side, 1 minute the other
5. Oven 180 for 2 minutes.

Rest under foil.

drizzle with truffle oil and shave truffle on top.

provenance of steak matters.

3. Light season of salt

Rest under foil.

giphy.gif

Or grab a cast iron pan - turn the gas flame up past the wazza doodle (thats cooks talk for really f*cking hot) put pan on flame until a little bit of fat cut off the steak jumps around in the pan like a bare footed beach goer crossing the road to buy an ice cream - meanwhile back to the steak - toss in some rock salt toss steak on top 3 to 4 minutes later flip steak - another couple of minutes and take it off rest if you must then eat.
If you are going to spend 50 minutes cooking a piece of meat you might as well do a leg of lamb :)

... which I can get right - sometimes. Other times not. The reverse sear is consistent and predictable.

3. Light season of salt

Rest under foil.

Yes, I salted the steaks for last night when I got home yesterday and left them out of the fridge all day. Good steaks from a good butcher.

The reverse sear is good. You can get your steaks going, then start on your sides so it's not wasted time. Dry brining has been a winner for me. Start salting 24 hours beforehand and use salt flakes (kosher salt of any brand, Maldon flakes, etc). Keep an eye on it for the first couple hours and remove any wetness from the steaks with a paper towel. Open air in the fridge is the best approach, but you need a clean fridge and to be aware of food safety when you do this (put it on the bottom shelf away from your veggies). Salt Fat Acid Heat is a great cooking 'textbook' and where I take this approach from.

Alternatively - sous vide is great for steaks too. Eight hour water bath with minimal seasoning in the bag to bring to ~10 degrees under desired finishing temp. Carbon steel pans are more responsive to heat change than cast iron (which has huge thermal mass but is slow to change), so for me, work better for searing and finishing meat. Out of the sous vide, pat dry and re-season if needed. Save cooking juices in a separate saucepan/saucier for pan sauce, get it going quickly with diced shallot or onion. High heat, deglaze with wine or citrus juice and medium / high heat to bring to quick simmer and reduce. Then steaks go into the ripping hot fry pan with a high-heat oil such as grapeseed, minimal possible volume. Light pressure on the steak for 1-minute to get an even sear, then flip and probe with meat thermometer to check time to finish on the final side.

All this wank can be disregarded by just buying good quality steak and using a probe thermometer to check it's internal temp regardless of method. The thermometer is the real winner.

All this wank can be disregarded by just buying good quality steak and using a probe thermometer to check it's internal temp regardless of method. The thermometer is the real winner.

Recommended thermometer?

Thermopen is very popular but $$$, lots of cheap clones around - not sure about quality though

I have a Lavatools Javelin Pro, but don't recommend them unless you can find one cheap. It's fast and extremely precise, so it's good when I moonlight at my cousin's catering company / food truck. We need to record temps, otherwise I'd get something else.

Check out Nisbets here for one of the Hypiglass one's - my cousin (who flogs his gear) uses these almost disposably. I'd give thought to the oven probe, because you can stick it in your food in the oven and it'll beep when it gets to temp. Wash the probe cord before use in soapy water to get any nastiness out if you go this way.

Otherwise: ThermoPro and Lavatools both have budget probes on Amazon and elsewhere - they'll do the job, just take slightly longer and perhaps be less washable / water resistant. Don't need to spend more than $15 on these, but you might get a couple extra useful features (like an alarm / timer) if you want to spend a bit more (~$30).

So for me my process is below.

Steaks rubbed with Lanes Ancho Espresso rub. In fridge overnight.

Primo XL Kamado (Charcoal BBQ) up to about 250f with Cherry wood in for smoke. Steak put in until 130f internal meat temp.

Akorn Jr or Gas grill up to screaming hot.

Steaks then Seared for pretty much just grill marks and then taken off at 135f internal temp.

Rested for 5-10 minutes then served.

So for me my process is below.

Steaks rubbed with Lanes Ancho Espresso rub. In fridge overnight.

Primo XL Kamado (Charcoal BBQ) up to about 250f with Cherry wood in for smoke. Steak put in until 130f internal meat temp.

Akorn Jr or Gas grill up to screaming hot.

Steaks then Seared for pretty much just grill marks and then taken off at 135f internal temp.

Rested for 5-10 minutes then served.

Give this rub a try sometime - https://gewurzhaus.com.au/product/melbourne-coffee-meat-rub/

@Mark1966 I love Jess Pryles, heaps of good vids and recipes on there. I've reverse seared steak before and it's great, but I just can't be bothered taking that much time.

I get a cast iron pan screaming hot, salt the steak and cook for about 2 minutes each side. Then I add butter, rosemary and garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes each side to get all that goodness all over, put some pepper on for the last flips, then take it off at at just over 40 degrees. Let it cool for 5 minutes and it comes out a beautiful medium rare with a spectacular crust. Yum.

As for thermometers, I got myself a Javelin. I got it like 5 years ago so I can't remember the price or place of purchase, but I think it was about $50. Been using it ever since for pretty much any meat that's cooked in my house.

50 mins for a leg of lamb?? Try 5-6hrs I’d u want it to fall off the bone 👍

@gthomas04 the temperature has to do with doneness.

@StratMan I personally prefer Lamb Shoulder for Low n Slow

@Jimmy

the leg would be one of the worst (toughest) cuts for me but when cooked slow for around 6 hours, it literally melts in your mouth

But years of experience have taught me the best cuts of a lamb (on the spit) are the backstrap and the rib area

and if you want to really get technical try encasing the juicy fat filled rib meat with the crispy well seasoned skin from the rib area..

you don’t make friends with salad and bread wastes tummy real estate :)

@gthomas04 for beef, temperature is for doneness. For pork and chicken, it's so it's safe to eat

For beef we are borne with our on testers for doneness - called fingers
touch the meat - very very soft -you haven;t started to cook it yet, soft - rare medium soft medium rare firm approaching well done, can't make a dent in it - resole your shoes.

For pork and chicken I must be very lucky p never used a thermometer - never had anyone get ill never had overcooked dry meat.

I agree with the poster on lamb -always cooked low and slow