Review: Omega Professional No. 49 (10049)

Mong.

doesn't care for Euro Palmolive
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical
Omega Pro #49 (10049) Review

Specs:
Overall height: 128mm
Knot: 27mm
Loft: 65mm
Handle height: 63mm

This is a whole lot of brush. The 49 is made in Italy as a part of Omega's 'Professional' line of undyed pure boar bristle brushes. This one hails from the famous Mustafa Center in Singapore, where it was purchased for a little under $10. I've been using this infrequently for the last four months with a range of different types of soaps.

This brush didn't receive any particularly special treatment when I got it, just a couple of quick lathers with some dish soap to get rid of the funky boar smell. In terms of getting rid of the smell, the dish soap was only halfway effective. I'd still recommend doing it, if for no other reason than to start off with a clean and slightly less pungent brush. Plus, the more you lather with it, the sooner the brush will begin to soften...

The knot is still a bit wet above.

Some of the bristles began to split after the first couple of lathers, but for the most part, it wasn't until around the seventh or eighth shave that the bristles had noticeably softened and were visibly split. I also expected the brush to have bloomed a little more than it has, but the tighter knot and density does help when loading hard soaps. Speaking of desirable traits in brushes used with soaps, the backbone in this thing is incredible. Despite the high loft and broken in tips, the bristles have remained fairly rigid and uncompromising. Unlike my badger brushes, the 49 has a brilliant soft scrubbiness on my face. It's not scratchy at all, and the resistance provided by the knot as the soft tips scrub your skin is a nice and luxurious feeling. Throughout the breaking in process there was a small amount of shedding, but it adds up to about ten hairs across four months. I think that's pretty good, considering the way I scrub it on my face.

The hardest of soaps in my stable currently is the Honeybee Soap's Sandalwood Vanilla variety. The puck itself is quite hard when dry, but the Omega 49 easily picks up enough product when loaded for 15 seconds for a 2-3 pass shave. Over-soaking the brush does diminish the backbone and resistance in the knot, so I generally only let it soak for 10 seconds and then shake most of the water out before starting to load. The 49 is also great with the slightly softer tallow-based Mike's Natural Soap and the Proraso Eucalyptus soft soap, loading easily with both and quickly whipping up a nice and thick lather quickly. It's a big knot, so it retains both a lot of water (if you don't shake it out) and a lot of lather. I don't mind this, as it releases pretty well for your later passes.

It's hard to say anything negative about the performance of this brush. I've only used it a few times with creams as I much prefer my badger brushes with them. I was able to create a fine lather with the TOBS Jermyn St and the Proraso Sandalwood and Shea Butter cream, but I think it really excels with soap. This is personal preference rather than any particular fault of the brush, I think the water retention of badger helps me to create a better lather with creams. Likewise though, a dry boar is an asset when loading product from a puck, and this huge knot works brilliantly when building lather on the face from soaps.

My only criticism of this brush is the size. It's bloody huge in the hand, and it's all encompassing on the face. People with a thick and heavy beard or head shavers will love this thing. My beard is somewhat sparse, so this is just too much brush for me. I'm not sure if I'll keep it or look to downsize, but the size really is both a pro and a con. That all encompassing soft scrub on the face with a creamy lather is a wonderful feeling, and one that a smaller knot may well be unable to deliver. Considering the size and cost, I don't feel bad at all about abusing this brush with scrubbing and circular motions on my face. It's a pure workhorse brush, and it's hard to imagine a better way to spend $15 on your shaving than an Omega.

Some further reading for those interested, or researching a purchase...

Here's a review thread with some good pics and feedback over at B&B

Here's a review thread with some good pics and feedback over at B&B

Short review/comment thread on TSN

Great 49 re-handle thread on TSN

Here's one final picture, with a comparison to my Duke 2. The 49 makes it look tiny!

I've been reading a little on another forum (TSN) about some other boars, and I noticed that Tieste, who is also a member here, has done quite a lot of reviews of Omega boars. They're pretty popular over there and the Premium line of banded boar gets a fairly warm reception. Based on the strength of their reviews and my experience with the 49, I have an ivory No. 45 on the way from Connaught Shaving. Review on that when it arrives, it should look nice next to my Duke.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thorough review Mong.

Omega Pro 49 (10049) Review

I think that's pretty good, considering the way I scrub it on my face.

Considering the size and cost, I don't feel bad at all about abusing this brush with scrubbing and circular motions on my face.

Umm, I might be a heathen or ignorant (both) but I didn't know that scrubbing and/or circular motions was abuse. Is there a proper way that's not abuse?
Genuinely ignorant, appreciate any info.

.........Umm, I might be a heathen or ignorant (both) but I didn't know that scrubbing and/or circular motions was abuse. Is there a proper way that's not abuse?

I'm not sure about that either. I once owned an Omega 49 and if anything it's your face that'll get abused. Very big and a very stiff backbone. Fantastic brush, all you want in a boar but just way too big for me.

Thanks for the thorough review Mong.

Umm, I might be a heathen or ignorant (both) but I didn't know that scrubbing and/or circular motions was abuse. Is there a proper way that's not abuse?

It's suggested that you shouldn't use a circular motion with badger brushes as it can pull or break off hair from the knot. Simpson goes so far in their care instructions to say that you should only use a paint brush motion.

No such troubles with the boar, I mash it into my face with a fair disregard for the knot. Bristle seems tough and more durable, so I think you can be much rougher and take advantage of its exfoliating qualities while it scrubs your face.

All of that said, there's nothing to stop you using a circular motion with a badger. I'm sure many people do, and first and foremost, the brush is a tool made to be used. Not scrubbing with one is just a tip to extend the longevity of the brush.

I feel guilty now. I've been abusing every single one of my brushes. No hair loss at all by the way. I clean the sink up with them too. Lots of circular motion there. Not that I do it very often but how on earth are you supposed to load your brush from a bowl without using a circuar motion? The humble shaving bowl has been of a circular, not rectangular, construction since time in memoriam. I'm sure Marco, an avowed and sycophantic (that's hardly surprising) lover of Simpsons brushes, will develop an anxiety disorder if he finds out. No more Marco method folks. I'm going to ignore this. In solidarity with my mate Marco.

I clean the sink up with them too.

Festy! :laugh:

Abuse away Pj, they were bought to be used! I think it's easy to get into the habit of coddling expensive brushes, but really, when you pay $100 for something then you want it to last and I guess a little extra effort is called for. I'm yet to find a way to load soap that isn't circular, let alone lathering in a bowl which I do almost every shave. It's a harm minimisation principle, really.

There was a good photo on B&B of a Colonel that had been used and abused for a couple of years, and rather than having shed, the hair had just broken off from the knot. The result was a fairly obvious hole in the middle, while the outside was still plenty dense. This probably happens to all brushes over time, but the degree is up to the owner and how they care for it.

I'd be mean to a Wee Scott like I am to my 49 if I had one. Cheap brushes, who cares? Expensive brushes, well, can you buy those big rubber sealed bubbles in small?

Maybe it's stinginess rather than coddling.

It's suggested that you shouldn't use a circular motion with badger brushes as it can pull or break off hair from the knot. Simpson goes so far in their care instructions to say that you should only use a paint brush motion.

I don't buy it - not even from Simmo's. A brush is there to be used.

It's in Simmo's best interests to encourage people to treat their brushes like favourite children; especially if it's your only one and it's used almost every day. I think it's to deter the terminally stupid - who mash brushs on their face, in the sink, wring it to death on a towel etc, from crying to Simmo's when the knot falls out, and expect a newie. They also know some YKW brush sads will try and do anything to get a freebie...They're getting their "I told you so's" in first.

I'm sure Marco is working on a product test as we speak - the foot long of soap. Perfect for backwards and forwards-only loading. It will be Italian, and therefore the only soap to also achieve world peace and end poverty.

Haha, to return us slightly to the original topic but on a related note, are we on the same page that the way we use boars is different from badger?

I'll clarify. When I bust out the 49, I wield it with a general disregard for it's care. I load quickly and with some pressure, then I scrub my face rigorously to build lather. When I bust out the Blobby Foo, I'm more careful and tentative loading soap, and then I paint my face. I scrub back and forward a little bit around my neck and sideburns to raise the hairs, but overall, I use a lighter touch and less harsh movement.

Are you guys at all similar, or do you find your technique in brush use entirely the same regardless of brush?

Maybe I'm too nice to my brushes. You know what it is? Badger feels fragile to me, as though it needs care and looking after. Boar is like Dave Grohl, just doesn't give a fuck!

Festy! :laugh:

Not really. The sink is spotless to start with and all I'm doing is washing away stuff that moments ago was on my face. What a waste of soap otherwise!

.......I'd be mean to a Wee Scott like I am to my 49 if I had one. Cheap brushes, who cares?............

That's just wrong. Beating up on a little fella like that. Bully! The Wee is relatively cheap because there are virtually no materials involved in it's construction. I'm mean to every brush, regardless. As you said, they're there to be used.

............I'm sure Marco is working on a product test as we speak - the foot long of soap. Perfect for backwards and forwards-only loading. It will be Italian, and therefore the only soap to also achieve world peace and end poverty.

I can almost see it already. Backwards and forwards just like the motion a gondelier uses (I'll bet there's one in his family somewhere) paddling his craft through the medieval canals of Venice. I've got tears in my eyes just thinking about it. I know, I'm going to drag out the Cella! I feel inspired.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review- an interesting read.

Regarding brush 'abuse' I guess I'm guilty. Then again, most of my brushes cost under $20 so if such abuse means they don't last 50 years it isn't a great loss. I'll just us it as an opportunity to purchase some different brushes :cheesy:

Well, it's been interesting to compare this big undyed boar to it's Premium line bleached counterpart. Here's the summary:

#49:

• Bigger and denser knot
  • More backbone and firmer on the face
  • Slightly scratchy, but the tips have split and softening after each shave

#45:

• Smaller, moderately dense knot
  • Good backbone, extremely soft tips
  • Does create a breech in the middle of the knot when wet
  • Tips split after only 3-4 lathers
  • Exceptionally good handle

At the moment, I really like the 45 the most. I wish it was a little denser, but aside from that, the brush feels great on the face and performs well. It's still a very big brush, it's only about 1cm shorter than the 49 in the end. It was a good buy so far though.

I have the Omega 48. It's about a year old and I use it in rotation about once a week. Every thing that you've said about the 49 seems very much the same for the 48. My main criticism is that it's head is too long. It really doesn't work well in a normal shaving bowl. I use it in a ceramic 'tumbler' type cup.