Review: Reef Point Soaps

3pass

These arrived this morning, much to my surprise. The tracking system with USPS is outstanding, each step in the journey there to see. Then it hits our shores and disappears into a black hole. I called Auspost on Friday with the tracking number, after seeing no updates in days, and they basically had no idea what was happening. I was resigned to receiving these in the new year, before they magically showed up on my doorstep today.

I ordered two scents, Classic Barbershop and Aviator. Inside the box was my invoice, with a hand written thankyou from the owner. Either business is slow, or they care. Looking at the presentation of the soaps and reading the hype surrounding them, I'd suggest it's the latter of the two.

uploadfromtaptalk1419225330703_zpsa791f03a.jpeg

Now. I've seen enough 'reviews' in my short time DE shaving, to question how credible some are. Almost everything seems to be the best product ever. Reeks of paid advertising to me. Artisans like Dapper Dragon and Caties are all the rage, in some cases sickeningly so. It's just soap, right? I'll be honest here and in future reviews, no unwarranted hype from this punter.

For the scents, Aviator is described on their website (www.reefpointsoaps.com) as:
A masculine combination of my own design. It has notes of lemon, rosemary, sandalwood, patchouli, vetiver, leather and musk. A 6 oz tub of manliness.
I'll reserve comment until after the test-drive, blooming etc.

The Barbershop one was my safety, and the one I used today.
If you're not sure which of my soaps to select, but like more traditional scents then this is the choice for you. It's a clean, masculine scent reminiscent of traditional barbershop aftershave. Hints of orange peel and spices. It's a perfect blend of barbershop aromas.
So I bloomed this for 5 minutes, no sign of the above-mentioned notes. Smells a bit like mint to me. Clean smell, not offensive, just not what I expected (so far anyway).

The soap itself isn't soft like RR, yet not as hard as your standard hard soap. If that makes any sense. You could make an imprint with your finger if you wanted to.

With my Semogues still in the mail, my current brush inventory is 1. So with that, I took up my Mensbiz-marked super badger, which came as part of my starter kit.
I soaked it, let gravity take out some water, ditched the 'blooming' water and got into it.
It probably took 20-30 seconds to feel that 'gripping' feeling in the brush. Yep, bristles all clumped. Easiest face lather I've done yet. Seemed to be good to go almost instantly. Added a little water and still thick. Just worked it around a while for face prep purposes.
20141222_142600-1_zps5742300d.jpg

Incidentally, there's something a bit wrong with taking photos in the bathroom. Haven't done that in some time.

After three passes, there was still heaps of lather left. Ridiculous amount. Seems very stable and didn't dissipate at any stage. Seems to handle water with ease as well. Very good shave. Used a 34C with an Astra SP for those playing at home.

I'm not sure how slick it was, it didn't seem any more or less-so than others. I'm still just a newbie after all. Maybe making it thinner with yet more water might make it slicker... It stands alone in my experience for latherability. Scent, yeah nothing great. I just saw they have an Espresso one on their site. Dammit.

Overall, pretty damn good so far.
Anyone else tried it?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419225330703.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419225330703.jpeg
    818.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Nope. Haven't tried it. Sounds like a solid soap. Too bad the scent didn't come through for you. Let's hope the Aviator is better.

Nice thoughts C3PO

Scent wise though, can grow on you. I wasn't too fussed on Occams at first, and just loved the lather. However I really like it now.

hope you can come to like those soaps as you've shelled for them now! I like the packaging

I know @SydBJW and @MrT have now acquired some Reef Point soaps so they can now add their thoughts here in time...