REVIEW - Simpsons luxury Shaving Cream - Citrus Burst

borked

Shave, collect B&M pokemon, vodka, sleep, repeat
Grand Society
Group Buy Associate
Da Menth Heads
2018 Charity Auction Winner
Only a part review, yet desire to do so in order to confirm receipt of this and get the ball rolling.

Simpsons Shaving Cream

Citrus Burst

First, I owe my gratitude to @Mark Watterson for affording me this opportunity. Thank you for providing not only myself, yet other members of this forum the chance to not only review, yet experience first hand your fine produce and I look forward to your continuing involvement as a member in our community in whatever role you feel fit to share with us.

An introduction really is not required for the house of Progress Shaving Brush (Vulfix) Limited. We should all know the companies history and are aware of the prestige brands that trade under this banner. This particular item for review, from my understanding, is a continuation of the unscented shaving cream and indeed for all initial intent and purposes, is a worthy addition to the range.

SCENT

Pre-lather
I arrived at work, to find a parcel sitting upon my work space. Sniffing the box gave me a faint pleasant hint of what was to come once I could find a few moments spare to open the petite Royal Mail - signed for international parcel. When I did, it left me spending the vast majority of the day trying to connect the dots as to what it reminded me of and where I've experienced this nasal stimuli prior. When arriving home from the rigours of another day spent working in order to fund a Politician's Superannuation the thought paths connected. To my nose, the scent in pre lather stage is strongly comparable to "Of A Man by The Body Shop".
http://www.thebodyshop.com.au/Product.aspx?Id=372
This was confirmed after I arriving home for the day and able to directly compare them beside each other.
To some, this will be worthy of celebration, considering "Of A Man" was a popular product, yet sadly now discontinued, with bottles of Eau De Toilette seeing 300% mark-up in online auction houses. The scent is quite strong and true to nature upon an attempt towards mixed citrus. It leaves me impatient to actually lather it and see if that divulges further character, as others with their samples have suggested they've experienced. I also note a faint soapy undertone, yet this is only noticeable to me when seeking out the more subdued scents within.

Post lather

I do recommend at minimum sampling this product and offering a sample kit for sale, with the original and different scents would, to me at least, be most beneficial.

THE SHAVE

I feel compelled to provide a warning for this post
**Do not try this at home**

You know the bit of cream that no doubt ends upon the lid of a container? That is the size of my portion used. Equipment was Berks, that I obtained from our resident reseller with a crystal bowl to build the lather (hide poor Berks). Slim loaded with a Personna Barber that's been in there and used since Sunday.

So that bit of cream upon the lid? It was more than enough for an average shave. Indeed it was more than enough for my test, which you will see was beyond the average routine.

Started building the lather in the bowl, it built up in an average period of time and was not too fussy in building the lather beyond the initial sloppy point, to the large suds point and finally a fine suds whipped cream, that almost swallowed poor Berks whole. The scent is still there, yet subdued. If the opportunity affords me, I would be interested in sampling the other scents and would be purchasing my favourite as a part of my rotation. Products I've used before are C&E soaps, Col Conk soaps, Speick cream and stick, Vitos Super extra, Mikes Lime sample, Arko, Proraso Green cream sample and another one or two that elude me.

Lathered upon the face with a bit more building to ensure a decent even coverage, grabbed slim shady, twisted straight to 9 and hit my face with a WTG, relathered and ATG, relathered and XTG, it is at this stage that I reloaded the brush from the bowl. Relathered and did XTG the opposite way. This final first pass XTG I twisted down to 3 once I hit the neck, as it's ATG for me. Afterwards, I relathered, twisted slim shady back up to 9 and hit the neck and jawline the same XTG prior. By this stage, products I've experienced prior would not protect enough and my neck would have multiple weepers, a few cuts and a bleeder or two. Not the case here, so why not push it further. Relather and buffed trouble areas and noticed a problem, I still had a decent serving of lather left in the bowl.

Ok, lets go full retard and use this to run a final WTG and AGT, yet with some pressure. It is at this stage I got my first cut, yet in fairness, this was due to the mat slipping under my feet. Otherwise, this cream still provided decent protection right through this arduous testing procedure.

It performed far beyond what I personally would consider reasonable, considering I performed 6-7 passes, using essentially a blunt Personna Barber pushed to it's limit, full exposure upon a Gillette Slim and added pressure at the very end of the 6-7 pass shave. I finally understand the appeal of a BBS.

It is almost an hour after shaving and beyond the single cut, there is still no irritation, the skin feels moisturised, yet not clammy nor sticky and I feel no need for a post shave product as I usually would.

PACKAGING

The packaging indeed is of a quality standard one would expect from a merger of quality British Isles houses into a single house with such an extended rich history. The container appears to be aluminium, as a magnet will not stick to it. I do find myself agreeing with @Monsta_AU in regards to the ease of opening the lid, yet at the same time, I do appreciate that it is a screw down and not a clip on lid for added security, particularly if you are required to pack a travel kit, as I sometimes am required to do. Having product in the thread and/or wet hands will only exasperate this experience and some of a more mature nature may struggle with this.

LABELS

Front

"printed directly onto the tin"

Naturally Vitalising
SIMPSONS
Male GROOMING SINCE 1919

Citrus Burst

Luxury Shaving Cream

Back

Directions for use:
Rinse your Simpsons Shaving Brush in
hot water, then dip the brush tips into the cream.
Massage the brush onto the face in a paintbrush
stroke motion to produce the finest lather.
For external use only. If irritation occurs discontinue use.
Avoid contact with eyes. If contact occurs rinse thoroughly with water.
Keep out of reach of children. Do not store above 40 °C.
Ingredients: Aqua(Water), Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut
Acid, Glycerin, Parfum(Fragrance), Triethanolamine, Epilobium Angustifolium Flower/Leaf/Stem
Extract, Boswellia Gum, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Cirtus Medica Limonum
(Lemon) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Ectract, Phenethyl Alcohol, Caprylyl
Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium
Metabisulfite, Sodium Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Limonene.

"Stock Code" "Bar Code - 5012495021830>" "Tin with 12M label"
125ml e 4.2FL.OZ.
A E Simpson, 1919, IM44QJ (GB)
www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com
Made in England

CONCLUSION

If the opportunity affords me, I would be interested in sampling the other scents and would be purchasing my favourite as a part of my rotation.

Products I've used before are C&E soaps, Col Conk soaps, Speick cream and stick, Vitos Super extra, Mikes Lime sample, Arko, Proraso Green cream sample and another one or two that elude me.

Disclaimer/Legal

Product was graciously supplied as a sample for review.
All care/no responsibility taken upon information supplied, as it is formed based upon an opinion of a singular person, not a stated fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
That review makes you look like a real brown nosed gent there borked.

Waiting here eagerly for the missing bits, is this suspense a ploy like is used in cliff hanger type serials.

Just kidding mate, pretty thorough so far.

This does happen to be my first review of anything and I am appreciative for the opportunity, so it is only fair I afford it due care :)

I desired to answer all likely questions, from one I asked (ingredients - my motive was allergies/intolerances) to longevity of the container, considering it would likely be stored in an environment that spends a period of each day enduring humidity.
I know how subjective scents/fragrances are, which is why I sought to use an apt comparison.
No offense was taken at the friendly ribbing, indeed it is an off handed compliment :)

I am running upon 4 hours sleep, yet do plan to test and complete this review tonight, yet if I don't...

That's no good. I need to buy stuff that I've at least got a small hope of finishing. For too economical if you ask me.

@Marlow did you enjoy the show ?
@Pjotr pif half ?

There is a particular note to this that I couldn't put my finger upon, until tonight.
Not only is there there notes of the fruit, yet also of the flower of the different citrus trees.

LOL @Pjotr , that was me jokingly suggesting if a full tin is too much for you to handle, you could pif half a tine :)