Roast Coffee Beans

I thought the JBM was a bit bland myself. Smooth, but bland. No big flavour that made it a standout for the money.

Aussie was my ringer. You really don't like it? Maybe it is a low-altitude thing. I haven't tried it, but I don't want to waste my money on a crud bean.

I thought the JBM was a bit bland myself. Smooth, but bland. No big flavour that made it a standout for the money.

Aussie was my ringer. You really don't like it? Maybe it is a low-altitude thing. I haven't tried it, but I don't want to waste my money on a crud bean.
Which one? I used to live in Cairns and have tried all of Skybury, Jacques, NQ Gold and Laura (or Lakeland) coffee. I wouldn't say they are all awful but they are also nothing to write home about.

Hi @Arnold J Rimmer

Glad you're back!
Keen to try some Central American - I drink espresso so whatever you think roasts well, I will have.
Recently tried some Geisha Esmeralda from Panama - was roasted for filter, and espresso didn't do it justice. I tried it through a filter paper with hot water and much better flavour.

OK, I think I have settled on a gang of four...

Ethiopia Harrar
East Timor
Honduras
Bolivia

These are all Free Trade Organic, and should give some variety in the cup.

I'm just starting the process of building another 2 roasters, so that I can get a better workflow. I can safely put two on the same circuit, and will stagger the roasts so one is in the cooler while the other is halfway along the roast. The third will either have to go onto a second circuit, or be held off as a spare.

OK, so here we go!

First roast was completed this afternoon. East Timor. Tomorrow, I will get on to the Ethiopian Harrar. The others are Honduras and Bolivia.

If the roasts go to plan, there will be 4x 400g packs for each origin.

@Pbgoose has locked in 1 East Timor already.

Please let me know what you would like via PM. Prices as per the original post.

I should advise that bank details have changed, so those returning, please discard the old details.

Remaining tally:
East Timor 3
Ethiopia 4
Bolivia 4
Honduras 4

Bad timing for me as I'm off to Cairns in a week or so (and it would take that long for beans to arrive to Darwin).
I'm also visiting one of my favourite roasters while I'm there so will probably load up then.

OK, so I decided to roast the Honduras yesterday. Looks like a very good result.

The weather isn't looking great for today though. I may have to do the remainder tomorrow or Sunday.

Either way, I will be able to start shipping batches out early next week.

To those who have ordered, I will PM you the bank details over the weekend, and the amounts.

Still 9/16 remaining, as per the previous post's count. Anybody who wants to jump on is welcome.

I may send some overflow beans to my old man in Perth. He uses a Bialetti, and can tell me what he thinks. Haven't tried it in one of those yet.

OK, updated bank details have been sent.

Bolivia is the last one to roast, and that will be tomorrow.

All of the others are ready to send.

Available still:

East Timor 1
Ethiopia 3
Bolivia 3
Honduras 2

OK, coffee away! First batches are in the post. Buyers, you all have tracking numbers in your pm inboxes.

After some local sales, current quantities are..

East Timor 0
Ethiopia 1
Bolivia 2
Honduras 1

Do you have a good source of green beans ?

i got some yesterday from Green Bean Roasters, others websites were quite pricey. I m going to be back at wok roasting this weekend ;-)
Cheers

Yeah, I have used them in the past and they are pretty good, but they do run out of stock of the ones I want, quite a lot. Some of their beans roast up beautifully though.

I currently source from beans.net.au. A good range of organic beans, which is what I work with. Good pricing, too.

I haven't tried the wok method. I have done the popcorn machines, and now run a KKTO, and am building a second and third one. Just waiting for the motors to arrive from China, then have to build a couple of rotors. Each will do up to 1.2kg at a time, for under $100 per unit.

Last edited:
OK, last roast this side of the Fat Man's visit.

I have Honduras and Ethiopia Harrar beans in my possession, and will probably roast this coming weekend (16/12).

Second roaster has been built, and only needs the agitator to be attached, and the cabling to be hooked in to the 12-volt supply.

I am mulling over whether to bag this lot as 800g bags, instead of 400g. If my maths works right, there will be 4x 800g lots of each.

Preferences?

OK, last roast this side of the Fat Man's visit.

I have Honduras and Ethiopia Harrar beans in my possession, and will probably roast this coming weekend (16/12).

Second roaster has been built, and only needs the agitator to be attached, and the cabling to be hooked in to the 12-volt supply.

I am mulling over whether to bag this lot as 800g bags, instead of 400g. If my maths works right, there will be 4x 800g lots of each.

Preferences?

I would personally prefer two 400g bags over a 800g :)

Having said that - I'm up for 800g worth!

Noted Mark.

I was wondering about it myself. I have enjoyed putting a variety out there, as the different regions can bring up some nice flavours.

Already planning new ones for the New Year!