Rockwell 6S plate question

Chappo

Hi all!

I had my first DE shave 2 days ago with my new 6S. I wasn't impressed, which is to be expected as I was probably doing it totally wrong. My soaps hadn't arrived yet so I used the little tube that comes with the razor. I don't think I lathered it up anywhere near enough.

Now I have a totally rookie question about the 6S plates... which way do they face? Looking at the 1/3 plate for example, my first shave had the number 3 facing up (1 was pointing down towards the handle). I assumed this was the 3 setting, which by all accounts seems to be the recommended place to start. The shave was very inconsistent and left a fair bit of hair on my face in places, even after a couple of WTG/XTG passes. Possibly due to the sub-par lathering. Then I flipped the plate this morning out of curiosity, and I swear the 1 facing up seems to have a larger gap between the plate and blade than the 3 facing up. I then had a look at the 2/4 and it appears to be the same. Did I shave the other day on the 1 setting?

Am I doing it wrong? My Stirling soap samples arrived yesterday so I'm having another shave this afternoon and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

This is the exact reason that I recommend everyone start off with a simple DE like an EJ DE89. Too many variables in an adjustable. The DE89 or Merkur 34c are tried and tested razors and perfect for a beginner to use for 2-3 months to get themselves acquainted with correct technique before mixing it up with a variety of different razors, adjustability etc.

Yes, you did it wrong. The number facing the handle is the one you are using, so you shaved on 1 and that's why it left a fair bit behind! Get that lather sorted, and work your way up from 3, and you will be a happy camper. 1 is very, very mild on the 6S. I quickly ended up using 6 after a few weeks with mine.

Hi all!

I had my first DE shave 2 days ago with my new 6S. I wasn't impressed, which is to be expected as I was probably doing it totally wrong. My soaps hadn't arrived yet so I used the little tube that comes with the razor. I don't think I lathered it up anywhere near enough.

Now I have a totally rookie question about the 6S plates... which way do they face? Looking at the 1/3 plate for example, my first shave had the number 3 facing up (1 was pointing down towards the handle). I assumed this was the 3 setting, which by all accounts seems to be the recommended place to start. The shave was very inconsistent and left a fair bit of hair on my face in places, even after a couple of WTG/XTG passes. Possibly due to the sub-par lathering. Then I flipped the plate this morning out of curiosity, and I swear the 1 facing up seems to have a larger gap between the plate and blade than the 3 facing up. I then had a look at the 2/4 and it appears to be the same. Did I shave the other day on the 1 setting?

Am I doing it wrong? My Stirling soap samples arrived yesterday so I'm having another shave this afternoon and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

There should be a card inside the box showing the different plate arrangements with the exposed plate being the one in use - R3 outside = mid level shave.

The 6S is quite heavy but well balanced and once you master the angle/technique it will deliver smooth and efficient shaves from R3-R6 - with R4 the sweet spot.

I find it my go-to test razor for new blades as it delivers super smooth and close shaves with little fear of it biting me. As a newbie show patience and ensure you follow the normal preparations - hydrated skin, slick yogurt like lather and use a mid range blade like Astra as the Rockwell blades are quite rough when starting...

Yes, you did it wrong. The number facing the handle is the one you are using, so you shaved on 1 and that's why it left a fair bit behind! Get that lather sorted, and work your way up from 3, and you will be a happy camper. 1 is very, very mild on the 6S. I quickly ended up using 6 after a few weeks with mine.

+1

I started with a 6s a week ago. QUICKLY figured out even plate 3 was too mild. Plate 4 sweet and plate 5 has more blade feel.

With plate 4 daily shaving efficiency is enough and it feels you'd be hard pressed to cut yourself with it. ZERO irritation too especially the neck...a normal problem zone.

Hands down it's the best head shaver I've tried. After the first head shave I couldn't care less if my face didn't get along with it and it solely did my head.

Trying blades currently... went with 3 and a Feather for the mild plate/ sharp blade combo. . Didn't work.

Last night plate 4/ Polsilver..perfection.

Haven't had time to try plates 5/6- mild blade combo yet.

Haven't used any other razor since the 6s arrived in the mail.

Well, good to know I had the plate the wrong way around. There was no instruction card in the box, so I had no way to know which way it should have gone. Very typical of me to pick the wrong way! Looking forward to my second shave this afternoon, this time with the correct plate and a better lather.

This is the exact reason that I recommend everyone start off with a simple DE like an EJ DE89. Too many variables in an adjustable. The DE89 or Merkur 34c are tried and tested razors and perfect for a beginner to use for 2-3 months to get themselves acquainted with correct technique before mixing it up with a variety of different razors, adjustability etc.
+1
I started with the 6s and spent months messing around with different plate + blade combinations. @Chappo I'll skip the lower plates and just go for plate 6. Even on plate 6 the 6s is quite mild.

The number you can see in use is the number of the plate. Never heard of anyone using plate 1 - it's just too mild. BTW I hope you're not using the Rockwell blades as they are uniformly panned and are no reflection on the razor. The right plate will depend on the blades you are using. IME Aggressive plate for mild blades and milder blade for sharper blades (eg Feather).

Don't be afraid to try different combinations but if you are using a "middle of the road" option like plate 3 with a decent blade, it could be worth sticking with it for awhile to focus on improving your technique (eg no pressure, wet and slick lather, correct angle etc). Personally, I find plate 3 too mild with anything except a Feather level blade. For less aggressive blades (eg Lord etc) I find plate 5 is a great combo of efficiency and protection. With plate 6 I lose that feeling of being able to get away with poor technique, which is not necessarily a bad thing and is something I am very used to anyway.

The 6S is a fantastic razor IMO with the right blades and remains seriously under-rated. It's only sin is that it is so good that it becomes a bit boring to use / look at compared to the works of art that some shave with (myself included). If all I wanted was a single razor to give me the best results every day with the least fuss and I didn't care how it looked or how shiny it was, then it would be my 6S.

I had one pass with the #3, then went to #4 for the rest of it. Then I used it exclusively with plate #6 until I sent it back for an RMA. Not my favorite razor tbh preferring my Game Change .84-P and Lupo.

#3 went fine for me. I used an Astra blade and lathered up a storm with some Stirling. Definitely better than shave #1 the other day. A few nicks on the neck, but otherwise it went quite well. With a WTG and XTG pass it is almost as smooth as a cartridge after multiple swipes WTG and another ATG, but without the irritation.

#3 went fine for me. I used an Astra blade and lathered up a storm with some Stirling. Definitely better than shave #1 the other day. A few nicks on the neck, but otherwise it went quite well. With a WTG and XTG pass it is almost as smooth as a cartridge after multiple swipes WTG and another ATG, but without the irritation.
And it will only get better as you become familiar with the razor, experiment with blades and gap, and perfect lathering(y)

I have to agree with others, the DE89 is what I broke myself in with and it was the best razor. So much so that I still use it till today.

I have the 6C, 34C, R41 and even a Parker 96, and I still love the feel of the DE89 with some sharper blades.

Keep the 6C, but consider a DE89 as a backup razor. Especially at its price point

BTW I hope you're not using the Rockwell blades as they are uniformly panned and are no reflection on the razor.
I think it might be a rule: don't ever use a blade made by companies who make razors. Rockwell blades are hopeless, as are Mühle. And shaving with a cheese-grater might be preferable to using Merkur. Expensive too.

<edit> Never tried Parker blades, so I might be a bit unfair here...

IMG_5810_large.JPG
KxAu5aM.png