Rum! I think I could enjoy something new - your suggestions?

Wait until your package turns up and you try both. Then tell me how good it is ;)

Wait until your package turns up and you try both. Then tell me how good it is ;)

Had a couple of glasses of the Ron Zacapa Centenario Sistema Solera 23 Rum last night - much better than the one from the local bottle shop - very nice!

Yeah the angostura 7 is a good mixer, not what I would drink straight. The 1919 on the other hand is very sessionable :)

Yeah the angostura 7 is a good mixer, not what I would drink straight. The 1919 on the other hand is very sessionable :)

Should have spent the extra money :(

Hmmm, another couple under my belt -

Pampero on ice - refreshing on a hot afternoon.

Neat in a cool bar in Newcastle. Nice stuff.

What are your thoughts on the diplomatico?

Very nice. A little sweeter maybe but well balanced.

I'm just a beginner though!

6b9678f8b2.jpg

Cant for the life of me get this photo to sit right but having another one of these old fashioned currently. Great drop for the $65-70 mark

6b9678f8b2.jpg

Cant for the life of me get this photo to sit right but having another one of these old fashioned currently. Great drop for the $65-70 mark

I'm not sure you should be drinking rum lying down ...

Went back to the cool bar which is just near where I'm staying to have a nightcap - but they were full :(

Oh dear, refused entry to a bar at 50! What is the world coming too ...

Went back to the cool bar which is just near where I'm staying to have a nightcap - but they were full :(

Oh dear, refused entry to a bar at 50! What is the world coming too ...

The Bouncer was terrified that you would trash the place in a rum-induced rage!

The Bouncer was terrified that you would trash the place in a rum-induced rage!

Clearly!

Actually, more likely to be a very strict approach to the Newcastle liquor licensing agreements (compact?) that were put in place a few years ago.

Yeah, thanks mate. Saw that this morning but this is the first chance I've had to follow up. The 15YO is sold out :(
Usually they set the specials up on the day before they send the email blast. If you watch the site, you can usually get the jump. Soon as the email goes out then it's only a matter of time until it is all gone.

Usually they set the specials up on the day before they send the email blast. If you watch the site, you can usually get the jump. Soon as the email goes out then it's only a matter of time until it is all gone.

Will keep that in mind for the future.

Still, I'm getting another litre of the Ron Zacapa at $10 better than Nick duty free when I go to the US at the end of the month. So I'm not completely bereft!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any ex-pussers here with a few tales of "sippers" 'n "gulpers" (n) ?

There was a "Lamb's Navy Rum" which I favoured in my dopey younger days, 4+ decades ago. I tried Bundaberg but could not like it. Nowadays, I favour a single malt and, in the morning to start off the day, a nip of quality brandy in my black coffee - mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I remember sitting supping Navy rum with my grandad on my 18th birthday in Edinburgh, He'd bought it in special........ didn't like it, but i was young and ignorant.

I stick to the Cuban rums myself, I am quite partial to both Havana Club - Añejo 15 Años and for extra special occasions a glass of Club Havana - Máximo Extra Añejo if I happen to be proximate to a bar that sells it by the glass.
Two good choices, especially the Maximo, my daughter brought me a bottle back from Cuba last summer and i proper enjoyed it. She was there again to celebrate new year recently, came home the other day with these (y)
rum.jpg

Otherwise, Sailor Jerry and Kraken are another two favourites, just a pity alcohol is crazy expensive here; 0.7L Krakan is Aus$65 contra 25 in the UK.