Rum! I think I could enjoy something new - your suggestions?

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Let's be honest. Everybody has had that bad Bacardi experience at a teenager.

I've even tried to like Bundaberg a few times over the years and it has been nothing special.

So I've never thought I'd become a run drinker and figured that the single malts were going to be my thing on the occasions I want a wee dram.

In Perth last night my brother took me to the rather unassuming Sneaky Tony's -

Yes that is seriously the entrance door on the right and you leave via the green gate on the left. Their 'theme' is speakeasy and you can only gain entry on Friday and Saturday night with the password (conveniently provided on their FB page - https://www.facebook.com/sneakytonys/)

When I heard of this I thought it was a pretty pretentious pose, but I am told that it is an effective way of keeping out those who might have had a few to many on a Friday night and want to try another watering hole. The lack of signage also helps - I would never have know it was there in the back lane.

The staff though know their stuff and while it is largely (exclusively?) rums and associated cocktails when I said I drank scotch they were able to provide a couple of selections of rums for me to chose from. I ended up with this one -

Sipped neat it was seriously nice. Sweet but not too much and with a smokey taste, some burn but overall fairly light. It certainly changed my mind on rums, I'm clearly going to need to do some investigation! Suggestions welcome BTW.

For those in Perth you might want to check out Sneaky Tony's. $60 for three drinks I didn't think was cheap (but I probably don't get out much!) but as an occasional indulgence I can see it being fun. Certainly on my 'to do' list next time in the West.

Now, time to research some rums ...

t2807.gif

Any ex-pussers here with a few tales of "sippers" 'n "gulpers" (n) ?

There was a "Lamb's Navy Rum" which I favoured in my dopey younger days, 4+ decades ago. I tried Bundaberg but could not like it. Nowadays, I favour a single malt and, in the morning to start off the day, a nip of quality brandy in my black coffee - mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Whilst Diplomatico Reserve is my favourite, I fear that the vanilla tones may be a little too far from scotch. Angostura 1919 on the other hand, might hit the mark. Santa Teresa 1796 has a great finish that's not sweet, but packs with plenty of flavour.

Whilst Diplomatico Reserve is my favourite, I fear that the vanilla tones may be a little too far from scotch. Angostura 1919 on the other hand, might hit the mark. Santa Teresa 1796 has a great finish that's not sweet, but packs with plenty of flavour.

Hmmm, thanks mate. I did notice that at 'Nicks' where @Monsta_AU mentioned the Glenfarclas Scotch (Glenfarclas 105 - what a bloody stormer!) they also have a litre of Ron Zacapa Centenario Sistems Solera 23 Rum reduced as well, https://www.nicks.com.au/ron-zacapa-centenario-sistema-solera-23-rum-1000ml. It seems to have good reviews and buying both I would have my $200 spend to get free shipping. Very tempting ...

Mind you they also have the Diplomatica Reserva Exclusiva 12 YO which according to their description 'Stylistically this edges Ron Zacapa 23 for satisfaction and sheer saturation and is the one that many of our customers measure other rums by.' They also have the Santa Teresa 1796 but it wouldn't quite get to the $200 mark.

I msut say, I do like your selection here - Angostura 1919

BTW - any Perth folk being to Sneaky Tony's?

My two favs are Diplomatica Reserva and Ron Zacapa Centanario 23. Unfortunately both are approx $100, but both are superb.
At a more modest cost, both Mount Gay and Flor de Cana are reliable and a good drop.

Im a rum drinker from way back and i still to this day enjoy my Bundy but as suggested Angostura 1919 and Ron Zacapa are both great rums but the prices reflect that.

$100 for 1l at Nicks is not too bad though Ron Zacapa Centenario Sistems Solera 23 Rum reduced as well, https://www.nicks.com.au/ron-zacapa-centenario-sistema-solera-23-rum-1000ml ...

I stick to the Cuban rums myself, I am quite partial to both Havana Club - Añejo 15 Años and for extra special occasions a glass of Club Havana - Máximo Extra Añejo if I happen to be proximate to a bar that sells it by the glass.

All down to personal taste when it comes to rums :)

there's a few whisky holes in Perth's back streets, but none quite as sneaky as Tony's. It does seem pretentious, but if you can make it work and get enough custom, it's a good idea to be fairly anonymous.

I would have thought a bar that only stocks top shelf spirits would be enough to keep out the beer bogans though.

Ok so I'll put one of both of those in the cart @todras ...

Ummm, maybe not :)

I'm going to Florida in February - was thinking of hoping across to Cuba but it all became too hard :(

Ok - caved. Congratulations Nicks, you have an order for -
  • Ron Zacapa Centenario Sistema Solera 23 Rum (1000ml)
  • Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength Single Malt Scotch Whisky (1000ml)
Two birds, one stone, PLENTY of booze for the next little while. Trip to US in Feb might result in some further rum purchases ...

I hope @Mark1966 does what he normall does with soaps, and sends out samples.
I's the only way I am going to get to try either at the moment.

I hope @Mark1966 does what he normall does with soaps, and sends out samples.
I's the only way I am going to get to try either at the moment.

Hmmm, there is an idea - not sure how it will go in the spray bottles I have though ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Could not wait till the Nicks order arrived. Had a full weekend and deserved a drink (or two) on the balcony in the sun before dinner. Local bottle shop had a special -

Full bottle and an empty glass - had to correct that imbalance ...

Could not wait till the Nicks order arrived. Had a full weekend and deserved a drink (or two) on the balcony in the sun before dinner. Local bottle shop had a special -

Full bottle and an empty glass - had to correct that imbalance ...

t2807.gif
t2802.gif
what's it taste like any good ? I love Sailor Jerry Spice Rum I have it straight ;)

t2807.gif
t2802.gif
what's it taste like any good ? I love Sailor Jerry Spice Rum I have it straight ;)

I had one with ice (warmish afternoon) and one neat - preferred the neat.

Not as good as the one at Sneaky Tony's but still perfectly fine. I could get used to this ...