Safety Razor Storage

thatguy

So, someone wise once said 'slow down rabbit'.

Of course, it's too late for that, so now I need razor storage. Fortunately, I have a couple of Lock and Lock HPL823's that didn't work out for blade storage. Turns out they are just about the right size to store ~6 safety razors. But after all that effort to acquire the razors... They deserve some respect.

So, keeping in mind that I owe a progress update on printing the shave bowl, I got the printer fired up, and started CADing a box insert for safety razors.

I'm pretty happy with the result. 6 razors in a box, with space for dessicant packs. The insert means the razors are neat, won't get scratched, and can't rotate out of their space. In fact, the box can be turned upside down and shaken and they'll stay neatly separated in place (the handles will bump each other). The handles just drop right back neatly into place once the box is righted.

Here's the result:
IMG-20220522-175515.jpg

IMG-20220522-175429.jpg

IMG-20220522-174938.jpg

IMG-20220522-175053.jpg

The largest razor in there was a find off gumtree - Parker semi slant, which has a 100mm handle, and a ~25.5mm razor head width. It won't fit in the two corner slots, but is snug in the other four, with ~3mm of handle length to spare.

All up, I'm pretty happy - looks tidy and should keep any plating happy with longevity.

Needs little lip at the end of each handle channel to slip the base of each handle under to stop them lifting up like you mentioned, or simply put something across the middle to hold them down?

I was being facetious. If you want to stop something moving, you use duct tape. If you want it to move, then use WD-40. But don't ever spray WD-40 on duct tape, unless you want to obliterate the planet... :p

Duct tape

WD-40

Cable ties

Have all three and you can rule the world ...

Needs little lip at the end of each handle channel to slip the base of each handle under to stop them lifting up like you mentioned, or simply put something across the middle to hold them down?

It's possible... The angle of the handles, and the end point depends on the length of the handle, so a little 'boot' at the end won't work, but a strong elastic band around the middle might. It would only be an issue if you are shipping the box or carrying it over rough terrain or expecting it to get upside down.

Certainly I wouldn't be that concerned, but I don't have 6 expensive razors in there either. if I did - it looks like 2 of the red wide rubber bands the postman uses around the center of the tray insert would do the job, but not look as good.

If people are interested in these, let me know. I'd be happy to supply them if people think they'd be useful. I can stack them in reverse for posting. I'd be happy to trade for blades I don't have :)

IMG-20220523-211647.jpg

IMG-20220523-211759.jpg

IMG-20220523-211739.jpg

Ok, here's what it looks like with a rubber band... And through the side of the case... And upside down...

... cause we can NEVER have too many pics!

IMG-20220523-211647.jpg

IMG-20220523-211759.jpg

IMG-20220523-211739.jpg

Ok, here's what it looks like with a rubber band... And through the side of the case... And upside down...
Wouldn't it just be easier to cut out blocks of foam to rest the handles on them? Or actually 3d printed little blocks in the middle of the spaces?