Salutations

..............I'm using a metal Gillette adjustable if that helps.

Contrary to the opinion of many I think a blade's a blade's a blade regardless of which razor you stick it in. But then the ony DE I really like is bakelite which according to the opinion of many is a bit freaky! Anyhow I've sent you a few what I consider the best blades around. That includes including a few vintage ones if only to get the satisfaction of witnessing you bleary eyed, scouring e-bay 24/7 just in case you think they're as good as I think they are. RM did it to me so I'm happy to pass that one on. Have fun!

Contrary to the opinion of many I think a blade's a blade's a blade regardless of which razor you stick it in. But then the ony DE I really like is bakelite which according to the opinion of many is a bit freaky! Anyhow I've sent you a few what I consider the best blades around. That includes including a few vintage ones if only to get the satisfaction of witnessing you bleary eyed, scouring e-bay 24/7 just in case you think they're as good as I think they are. RM did it to me so I'm happy to pass that one on. Have fun!
Don't know if to openly thank or cuss you.
Guess it depends upon my experience with them :)

Ok, finished that tuck of Astra greens and thanks to a few generous souls here and the remainder of my grandfathers kit being passed on to me, I've some blades to try out.

I am now seeking advise as to what order to try them in.
I would appreciate it if they could be rated in sharpness and smoothness separately.

2x shark
2x blue bird
2x rapira
2x voskhod teflon coated
2x gillette super stainless
2x gillette platinum
1x gillette super thin
1x gillette 7 o'clock super platinum
2x gillette 7 o'clock sharpedge
2x schick plus platinum
1x treet platinum super stainless
1x merkur super stainless platinum
1x laser super platinum
1x derby extra
2x permasharp super
1x vidyut supermax super stainless
1x supermax super platinum
1x supermax platinum
2x supermax super stainless
2x feather
2x personna barber
2x personna super
2x personna super stainless platinum

Ok, finished that tuck of Astra greens and thanks to a few generous souls here and the remainder of my grandfathers kit being passed on to me, I've some blades to try out.

I am now seeking advise as to what order to try them in.
I would appreciate it if they could be rated in sharpness and smoothness separately.

2x shark
2x blue bird
2x rapira
2x voskhod teflon coated
2x gillette platinum
1x gillette super thin
2x gillette 7 o'clock sharpedge
2x schick plus platinum
1x treet platinum super stainless
1x merkur super stainless platinum
1x laser super platinum
1x derby extra
2x permasharp super
1x vidyut supermax super stainless
1x supermax super platinum
1x supermax platinum
2x supermax super stainless
2x feather
2x personna barber
2x personna super

Impossible request - blades are very subjective. Some do draw a rough consensus of opinion though.

The personnas are probably all the same blade

Use the Merkurs for cutting lino or craft. same with the Derbys

Treets are worth a go, as are Voskhods

Gilletes all feel the fuckin same to me. ok, bordering on rough as shit

Leave Feathers til you're ready for the sharpest thing available. Not everyone finds them easy to use, or comfortable

The rest are probably meh

Leave PSS til last so you can appreciate a damn good blade. I passed on these as meh the first time round a couple of years ago, but a revisit finds them stellar. You'll end up doing the same with some blades.

Got the conk BTW, thanks.

I'd echo what Drubs said. Start with the Personna's and go down. Once you have got past there let us know and we can advise further.

My general advice would probably go for the Gillette Plats after the Personna's though. Derby's are fine once you have got some technique about you, I find them most serviceable when I revisit them. That said I really agree with the Merkur's being pretty crap.

Yeah that is a big list you've got there. I doubt many would have tried all of them let alone remember what they were like. On the whole you only really remember the stand outs and that is generally different for most. Personally I don't think there are that many stand outs (I sent you my stand outs) and the more blades I try the more I find them to be similar to almost identical. I'm not gonna use the words much uvva muchness (but I am) because it gets thrown back in my face at every opportunity but most of those blades are. Three good shaves, some might be a bit smoother or sharper, and that's generally all she wrote.

For the blades of which you have two, try one, and save the other. I've found that going back to some of the earlier blades I tried has yielded a markedly different result. The Derby, for example, is widely ragged on as being a bit of a spud. When I first tried it, I thought it was dull and rough. Going back a couple of months ago, I had three perfectly good shaves with it. I haven't been brave enough to try a Merkur again. They're just shit.

In addition to the Personna lot, the Voskhod and Rapira blades are another good place to start. They're both very economical, and a good example of two mid-level blades that aren't super sharp and plenty smooth.

Thanks for the advise everyone, it is appreciated :)

2x shark (below average to average)
2x blue bird (below average to average)
2x rapira (average)
2x voskhod teflon coated (average)
2x gillette platinum (nothing special when I first tried one early on)
1x gillette super thin (garbage)
2x gillette 7 o'clock sharpedge (average to above average)
2x schick plus platinum
1x treet platinum super stainless (average)
1x merkur super stainless platinum (garbage)
1x laser super platinum (average)
1x derby extra (above average, tried about 6 months into wet shaving)
2x permasharp super (nothing special when tried one early on)
1x vidyut supermax super stainless (average)
1x supermax super platinum (average)
1x supermax platinum (average)
2x supermax super stainless (average)
2x feather (nothing special when tried one early on)
2x personna barber (average)
2x personna super

A bit of an update upon my experiences.
I occasionally throw in an Astra green, considering most suggest they're the benchmark and readily available.

It's good to record what you think about various blades now, because I can guarantee that if you go back in a year, most of the blades that you thought were totally shit will give you at least a passable shave.

I used to hate Derby's...now, I might even buy some. It's all technique and preparation after a point.

@Mong. indeed and it helps to provide feedback to those that are not that far behind me in this experience.
Also helps that the third reply to this thread is brought to light for newer members ;)

Indeed an interesting read.

I never had a problem with Derby's. Recently I had a pack of Polsilver stainless that I've been using in a Gillette '04. I have to admit that they are an excellent blade.