Scents play such an emotive role in our lives...

... and if you just want the 'Top 20' go straight to it here.

Never heard of most of them :)

Great post the top 500 will provide hours of interesting reading. Scent , for me, is a great trigger for memory especially with regards to what scents did my father use after shaving. Now it is an exploration of discovery and pleasure. Yes agreed very emotive subject.

Top 20 is a little polarising for me. #1 is certainly not my pick, would not make the top 20.

Definitely agree with a few of them, Dior Homme Intense, Tuscan Leather & Tobacco Vanille, Virgin Island Water, La Nuit de L'Homme all worthy of a top 20 position.

Creed Aventus is somewhat overrated in my book, still great but I have others I prefer. L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme would virtually replace it in my list. Plenty of others I like in the #60 to #20 range of this list.

A number of women's scents that missed out which I would feel worthy. Chanel Allure EdP for women is one of those scents I can instantly recognise and deserves a spot.

Chanel #5 I haven't come across it in the list yet! It's really not that great now, too many reformulations. If you smell the early ones it's incredibly good and remained so into the '70s.

Last edited: