SE aggression

veteran

Ok SE experts, a question for you. Is there any consensus regarding the relative aggression of the different Gems/Eveready`s? Apart from the OCMM, which seems to scare people more than a rusty Feather in a Slant, what are your picks from the rest of the line up?

MM clog pruf is the most aggressive below the OC MM, then 1914, 1924, 1900, 1912 damaskeene, then standard 1912.

Never tried the bullet tip magic eye MM (mildest MM), or any of the later ones like g-bar, featherweights, push button or contour. The standard 1912 is mild enough so never bothered with the later ones which I heard were very mild.
So I prefer the more aggressive ones. edit: but don't like the 1914 too much (too light), and never got on well with the 1924.

Last edited:
The Feather Weight is the mildest I've got and going by the general consensus is considered the mildest around together with the G-bar, Push Button and Contours which all have identical heads (so I'm told). Going up in the aggro scale it's the 1912 in it's many guises followed by the Bullet tip then the Clog Pruf. After that I'd say the ER 1924 followed closely by the Streamline/Jewel and the lot is crowned by the mulleted, soccer hooligan wife basher the OCMM.

LOL, if the OCMM is mulleted, soccer hooligan wife basher, the 1924 is the blingy, chrome-y gangsta that wants to make you bleed because you looked at it wrong.
I put the 1914 before the 1924 because it's just wrong. IE awkward opening mechanism and hollow handle to fit the stropper attachment make it too light. So just more annoying than the 1924, maybe not more aggressive.

Last edited:
Thank you gents, that gives me a few AD targets. My "mint" Jnr should arrive this week, can`t wait to get it wet.

What type of gem jnr? Got a picture or link?
Older ones were the early type (pre 1912) and later ones were just 1912 type.

Edit: I forgot, if you want to learn a lot about the SE veteran, have you tried this place: http://theoriginalsafety.proboards.com/index.cgi
I haven't read much there but that's where the knowledgeable people on SE from B&B went.

Wow, the whole homepage has gone (used to have heaps of photos and information, vintage ads etc) and daves nowhere to be seen. Anyone regular there on B&B know whats up with the site now and Dave?
I knew he was sick, but he's the one that created that site (the original safety), and was a big poster on B&B (user name d.irving79)

Last edited:
Thanks Pablo, someone at B&B said it was a 1943 US Services issue. The head is unplated and very similar to my UK 1912 but there are significant differences, eg, the comb/bar appears to have much rounder corners and the handle is an alloy and 12g lighter than my 1912.
S6300454.jpg

Last edited:
I`m almost ashamed to say. I was skypeing a friend in the remote NT and just fiddling till they came on. I had some old searches on ebay, one of which was Gem razor. I clicked "ending soonest", first up was this, described as mint by a 100%, 3000+ seller from the US, low low reserve, 1 min to go and no bids. I bid the minimum, thought I`d be sniped and started yakking with my mate. Email alert, you`ve won! Cost me more in postage (USPS cheapest) and here it is , ready to shave. Dumb luck, cant think how it slipped under the radar but glad it did. I must be meant to be a Gemocrat or should that be Geministi or Gemonista?