September 2011 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you need to find some injector blades. But if you're branching out to single edge razors (not injectors) the world's your oyster. Pretty cheap too. PM me if you're interested. I've got way too many.

Now you need to find some injector blades. But if you're branching out to single edge razors (not injectors) the world's your oyster. Pretty cheap too. PM me if you're interested. I've got way too many.

To be honest, not thinking of either edge - just collecting like a Magpie - see it, like it, put in low bid. I can only do this thanks to son in St Louis who will accumulate the goodies and send in bulk (or bring over if coming at Christmas).

You both got an absolute bargain there - well done.

Nothing incoming for me yet, although I did notice that my TOBS Sandalwood has hit the bottom. Might need to order another sandalwood cream soon.

Looking to get a nice stash of Permasharp Supers once my tax return gets back.

I lashed out on a puck of C&E Sandalwood. In case no one's noticed I've got a thing about sandalwood at the moment. My last experience with C&E was Sienna and that was a take or leave it thing. But I couldn't walk past C&E and I only dropped $10.

It was next door to Mecca cosmetica, who carry Diptique Tam Dao. A much hyped sandalwood frag on you know here and elsewhere. It was nice, but thankfully not me, at $165.

I lashed out on a puck of C&E Sandalwood. In case no one's noticed I've got a thing about sandalwood at the moment. My last experience with C&E was Sienna and that was a take or leave it thing. But I couldn't walk past C&E and I only dropped $10.
I quite liked the Sienna, but it is a very strange fragrance. I really liked the Nomad, reminiscent of Tabac but smoother and more refined. Definitely a very strong masculine fragrance.

As for the Sandalwood, I found the scent weak... felt like it had no power. Then again I am used to the extra synthetic scent boost in the TOBS.

It was next door to Mecca cosmetica, who carry Diptique Tam Dao. A much hyped sandalwood frag on you know here and elsewhere. It was nice, but thankfully not me, at $165.
Not had the pleasure, but I would much rather chase down a higher-end Guerlain (L'Instant, Heritagé or possibly even Vetiver) for that sort of cash.

There's plenty of Sandalwood frags out there, most of them are running in the gourmand category with a big hit of Vanilla though. Very hard to get a good woody/mossy Sandalwood.

There's plenty of Sandalwood frags out there, most of them are running in the gourmand category with a big hit of Vanilla though. Very hard to get a good woody/mossy Sandalwood.

True Indian sandalwood is in very short supply apparently, so makers are making do with what there is. Australian for one I think.

I've never been one much for frags, but I do find myself on the hunt for a great, affordable Sandalwood. So far Taylor's is a winner for me, a massive bargain IMO. C&E is nice, different and spicy wood, but little staying power. Trumpers Sandalwood is very good for those that like the creamy vanilla thing. Not much wood there. Tam Dao is at the other extreme. It's like wearing a refined and recently turned piece of dry wood.

Gourmand perfume houses don't interest me much, I think they're more marketing exercises, given the way any stray celeb has jumped on the smelly bandwagon. Slap a label on something floral and flog it to the fans.

It was a good day on the 'Bay today. Only picked up half of what I bid on and often the second highest bidder but still a good day. Acquisitions so far this month (still awaiting delivery):

Gillette Single Ring 460 Set with shipper
Gillette Single Ring 1921 Model cased
Gillette Bulldog
Gillette British Aristocrat #22/66
Gillette Milady Decollette
Gillette Super Adjustable - short handle
Gillette Gold LD Rocket - Cased
Gillette ABC Set
Gillette #23 Set cased with shipper
Gilllette 1958 (D4) Fatboy Cased
Gillette Gold Richwood, cased with upside down label
Gillette 1917 Single Ring case and ball end Tech

Oh, plus the MC2 and Berkeley and some Spanish Leather I'm waiting on plus a couple of other things that don't bear mentioning.

I am saving money right?

It was a good day on the 'Bay today. Only picked up half of what I bid on and often the second highest bidder but still a good day. Acquisitions so far this month (still awaiting delivery):

Gillette Single Ring 460 Set with shipper
Gillette Single Ring 1921 Model cased
Gillette Bulldog
Gillette Milady Decollette
Gillette Super Adjustable - short handle
Gillette Gold LD Rocket - Cased
Gillette ABC Set
Gillette #23 Set cased with shipper
Gilllette 1958 (D4) Fatboy Cased
Gillette Gold Richwood, cased with upside down label
Gillette 1917 Single Ring case and ball end Tech

Oh, plus the MC2 and Berkeley and some Spanish Leather I'm waiting on plus a couple of other things that don't bear mentioning.

I am saving money right?

I do hope you are not the charming person who keeps sniping me!!!!

I do hope you are not the charming person who keeps sniping me!!!!

If you can't beat em, join em - it is working for me! This is the one I use.

I was convinced of the value of a sniping program when I bid 15 mins before the end of a Double Ring auction as I was going out. I was winning then at $US110. Over those final 15 mins a bidder with feedback of 1 spent his/her time increasing their bids in $5 increments, passing me in the last minute.

I reckon I was robbed and a snipe would have won at $US110!

If you can't beat em, join em - it is working for me! This is the one I use.

I was convinced of the value of a sniping program when I bid 15 mins before the end of a Double Ring auction as I was going out. I was winning then at $US110. Over those final 15 mins a bidder with feedback of 1 spent his/her time increasing their bids in $5 increments, passing me in the last minute.

I reckon I was robbed and a snipe would have won at $US110!

Must admit never used a sniping program - just have a very good feel for how long it takes to put a last second bid in. In reality I haven't lost yet, but we should come to some agreement about first bidding - best dressed? Although I have no idea how my bidding name appears in the new hidden system I guess you can see it if you look at the Schick injector I won recently (not too hard I was the highest bidder!!!!!).

All is fair in love, war and eBay :D

jbidwatcher is the free service I used to use back in the day.

Sniping is the only way to go on ebay. Biddings early just lets people chew away at your bid, bidding enough to beat you one little bite at a time, ie they're either idiots with some kind of competitive streak that will win at all cost (ebays full of them, paying more than regular prices just to 'beat' the other bidder, like pay $105 for a $100 gift voucher, or $120 for a mobile phone that sells for $99 at your local shop - what the hell?), or they are taking advantage feeling out someone's max bid and trying to win by a couple of cents. Those types of idiots have all the advantage on ebay without sniping.

Sniping is fairer with everyone just putting down their max bid that they are willing to pay without getting second chances (like just nibbling away at someone's older bid to beat them by 50c or whatever. Not to mention shill bidders...)

There's donkeys out there mostly on eBlag - who think "oh it's on eBlag, must be a bargain". Still a fool and his money are probably buying Fusion blades for $30/3 at Coles :laugh:

Surely if all people bidding use sniping programs then nothing's changed. You just keep sniping until the first maximum is reached. I've never really had any problem getting what I want off ebay without having to use sniping programs. I'm sure if you're a collector and rely on ebay as a main source it would be a pretty valuable tool.

Sniping is done is the last few seconds, there's only one chance. Nobody 'keeps sniping', you have one shot to bid the max you are willing to pay, and everyone does it at the same time. Whoever is willing to pay the most wins, and we don't get to see their 'hand' first.
It's highest hand wins, without newbie or shill bidders calling bluffs.
Sniping is necessary because there's idiots out there that need to be 'winning ' the auction even if there's days left.
ie you bid $30 max, current bid $5
newbie1 $6
newbie1 $7
newbie1 $8
newbie1 $9
newbie1 $10
newbie1 $11
newbie2 $12
newbie2 $13
newbie2 $14
newbie2 $15
newbie1 $16
newbie3 $18
etc etc

the same few idiots fighting it out trying to be the top bidder and catch up to whathever your maximum is, days before the auction is due to end, but doing it in the minimum increments because they want to beat you by the bare minimum, not just chuck down $40 or something.

There's days left, but they are probing and probing, keeping upping the bid be the smallest increments to try be "winning". Add more insistent newbies and a higher number of them, your $30 is worthless,. It just decided the minimum price this item will sell for, that's all.
If you didn't set a bid for $30 in the beginning, these other people might be sitting on $15-20, then you'd snipe their arses and get it for $21. Edit unless someone sniped higher. But fair enough, they were just willing to pay more than you,* they didn't play silly games beating you by 10c, or in slow motion bit by bit trying to take it for as little as possible.

* I differentiate willing to pay more than you (ie. sniping) to willing to beat you in small bids (ie idiots with a competitive streak that will pay whatever it takes slowly but surely just to 'win' something, not matter what it costs, they get lost in the bidding war - not to mention it leave you open to shill bidders). They can retract their bid after they know what your max bid was as well after working it out when they start 'winning'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.