September 2011 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judd's Very Nice LOT of 5 Vintage Safety Razors | eBay

As with all of my Ebay purchases, I have no idea of what this lot is but it came within my price range so I snaffled

The two silver coloured ones on the right of the pics are flare tip SuperSpeeds, I can't be bothered to check our the year range based on the knurling - a nice razor though. The bottom on the left is a Schick Krona - once again a nice shaver. The middle one is an SE so I'll leave that to others to identify, the top on the left is a British Gillette Slim Twist.

Depending on postage you have done OK!

The SE is a GEM Pushbutton. Similar head to the Featherweight just a different closing mechanism.

The SE is a GEM Pushbutton. Similar head to the Featherweight just a different closing mechanism.

I knew that the SE experts would be along soon!

The two silver coloured ones on the right of the pics are flare tip SuperSpeeds, I can't be bothered to check our the year range based on the knurling - a nice razor though. The bottom on the left is a Schick Krona - once again a nice shaver. The middle one is an SE so I'll leave that to others to identify, the top on the left is a British Gillette Slim Twist.

Depending on postage you have done OK!

Total with postage US$21.00 so I guess about $20.00 Aus. works out at $4.00 each

Glen

Total with postage US$21.00 so I guess about $20.00 Aus. works out at $4.00 each

Glen

That's a good deal in anybodies language. Although it's hard to beat the multiple razor deals on e-bay, if you take to SE shaving it's generally a damn sight cheaper to get really nice razors. Of course you can still ad nauseum collect all the obscure models but with half a dozen or so you've basically covered the range in terms of shaving characteristics.

This was just for fun
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
and I will wait and see how good postage is from Bulgaria!
And this cause I wanted one
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
A little over my 20.00 budget but they seem unobtainable under it.

Cheers gentlemen

Great price on the Fatboy! The blades assortment also looks fun. I've seen a whole stack of them mounted and framed and they look kinda cool.

Poor Glen. He's succumbed to the lure of the Fat Boy. Must admit to not understanding it. Also having diverted quite early on to SEs, I've never been tempted. Is it the name? Are they rare compared to other Gillette adjustables? After having spent $150 on a rhodium replated, cased and boxed model I'm sure most will swear blind that they're the best razors out there but in reality I can't imagine they'd be really any different from a Slim or a Super adjustable. So what is it with the Fat Boy?

It must be the name. It's similar to the Mitchells Wool Fat thing. It allows you to say you're shaving with "The Fat", or: "The Fat just exploded on my face". Follow that with "got a two pass BBS shave with the Fat Boy" and you're just the coolest wet shaver out there.

Poor Glen. He's succumbed to the lure of the Fat Boy. Must admit to not understanding it. Also having diverted quite early on to SEs, I've never been tempted. Is it the name? Are they rare compared to other Gillette adjustables? After having spent $150 on a rhodium replated, cased and boxed model I'm sure most will swear blind that they're the best razors out there but in reality I can't imagine they'd be really any different from a Slim or a Super adjustable. So what is it with the Fat Boy?

I think that they are a great shaver. Good weight with a thick handle that I like AND adjustable. The Slims and SAs are nice but I prefer the thicker handle razors and the British Aristocrats while more beautiful are not adjustable. The 195 Adjustables (aka Fatboy) is also, despite the hype and prices of some on eBay, very accessible. Some people also rave about them from a purely engineering perspective too.

I've had a couple replated in rhodium and sold them too. They come up really nice and will last another lifetime :D

It must be the name. It's similar to the Mitchells Wool Fat thing. It allows you to say you're shaving with "The Fat", or: "The Fat just exploded on my face". Follow that with "got a two pass BBS shave with the Fat Boy" and you're just the coolest wet shaver out there.

WOW, using some MWF with a 195 Adjustable - way cool :D :D

One of my sons "borrowed" my long handled SA and refuses to give it back. I liked it a lot and he's now been written out of the will. Wouldn't mind getting hold of another Gillette adjustable (hint!). I use MWF and I want to be cool again.

Poor Glen. He's succumbed to the lure of the Fat Boy.

No no quite wrong, I have succumbed to the lure of cheap shit on ebay. You will recall I am also the proud possessor of one or more SE razors. I consider myself an equal opportunity scavenger.

Glen

I think they are worth $30.
It was one of the first adjustables, and is awesome from an engineering point of view, not too mention so durable they are still working fine. They also have the older superspeed head profile, which some people really like.

Myself, I prefer the slim, longer handle and 1960s head profile, but I bought a fatboy because I could get one for around $20-30

... Wouldn't mind getting hold of another Gillette adjustable (hint!). ...

You clearly NEED a rhodium replated Fatboy. In fact you need two, one for you and one for your son.

It just happens that I may have some on the way soon....

BTW - the Milk Churn arrived - beautiful! The Berkeley is a little smaller than I expected but will be a great first brush for my (now 10 years old) son

Last edited:
A top of the range rhodium plated 195 wasn't exactly what I had in mind, more a half decent Slim or something similar.

Any pubescent boy worth his salt will grow the biggest ugliest beard just to piss you off. This could well backfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.