September 2011 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I will be able to set the price - method in my madness you see

The other point I will make for those who think I am crazy buying like I am - since I have no real idea what I am getting, I figured I would collect up a number of razors and when they got here decide what to keep and what to put back up for sale. As none of my costs have been exactly horrendous, the fat boy being the most expensive, it seemed a sgood a way as any of getting a collection started. Once I have physical pessesion I will be able to become more discerning at the moment if it is cheap I will bid.

The other point I will make for those who think I am crazy buying like I am - since I have no real idea what I am getting, I figured I would collect up a number of razors and when they got here decide what to keep and what to put back up for sale. As none of my costs have been exactly horrendous, the fat boy being the most expensive, it seemed a sgood a way as any of getting a collection started. Once I have physical pessesion I will be able to become more discerning at the moment if it is cheap I will bid.

You haven't dropped a lot of coin on anything yet so you are still pretty safe but a couple of suggestions from somebody who has made a few mistakes.....

Selling stuff later will be harder than you think as international postage from Australia is a killer and within Australia the market is small. Don't buy to trade and don't expect to make money.
Take a look around Mr-Razor's site and check out the different styles and types on offer. This might help you get a sense of what things are and what they might be worth as a result.
There are still bargains on eBay but it is getting harder and harder. More eyes are looking!

While you are enjoying it though - good luck and happy hunting!

I agree, buy really what you want to keep, selling is hard unless it's a collectors item/ really popular razor.
You really don't want to end up with 30 techs.

Working out what to buy to, i)keep because it was bought with a purpose to use you bought it because you wanted to use it after you read info on it, or ii) bought to sell as it has collectors value and will re sell it later, takes research on your part.

Most extraneous purchases of random razors end up as PIFs, because there's no serious buyers anyway, and it's more hassle to sell for a few dollars than just PIF it.

It's fun collecting them if you have the disposable income, but they won't be offloaded for a profit later unless it's somethigng you bought because others value it highly (ie researched populairty of it before bidding)
So research and hunt the collectibles that will sell, or research what razors you really want to try is the best way to go about it.

Like I said before, if you really want to grab a bargain, you have the advantage of a US shipping address, so many razors I missed out on because they the seller would only ship to the USA...

But obviously you're having fun while not spending much, so I'm not trying to tell you how to have fun or how you should spend your money. Just posting to agree with mark.

Last edited:
I agree, buy really what you want to keep, selling is hard unless it's a collectors item/ really popular razor.
You really don't want to end up with 30 techs.

Working out what to buy to, i)keep because it was bought with a purpose to use you bought it because you wanted to use it after you read info on it, or ii) bought to sell as it has collectors value and will re sell it later, takes research on your part.

Most extraneous purchases of random razors end up as PIFs, because there's no serious buyers anyway, and it's more hassle to sell for a few dollars than just PIF it.

It's fun collecting them if you have the disposable income, but they won't be offloaded for a profit later unless it's somethigng you bought because others value it highly (ie researched populairty of it before bidding)
So research and hunt the collectibles that will sell, or research what razors you really want to try is the best way to go about it.

Like I said before, if you really want to grab a bargain, you have the advantage of a US shipping address, so many razors I missed out on because they the seller would only ship to the USA...

But obviously you're having fun while not spending much, so I'm not trying to tell you how to have fun or how you should spend your money. Just posting to agree with mark.

Thank you both, to some extent you are right and I have been newbie buying, but the way I look at it, I am sticking more or less to my under $20.00 budget and will shortly get a box of goodies. If I can only keep 3 or 4 I figure I will still have done well. The rest can be given away (hardly doing this to make money!!!!). I am retiring from ebay for awhile as there seems to be a price surge going on. I will continue to look for a bargain esp those that post US only (keeps you scavengers out of the bidding). Thanks again to both of you for your advice and when I get my goodies I will take pictures of the best of it and post here.

Regards

Glen Thomas

..............Just posting to agree with mark.

If this is the case then by inference not posting means one disagrees with Mark. So, I thought I'd post so I can join in the chorus of Mark fans. Should plonk in a smilie really but I've decided they still suck.

If this is the case then by inference not posting means one disagrees with Mark. So, I thought I'd post so I can join in the chorus of Mark fans. Should plonk in a smilie really but I've decided they still suck.

Ah shucks guys! I'm glad this isn't B&B I'm sure this adulation would have drawn me a custom title.

There's a bottom-dial Fatboy on the 'Bay now Mark..... bit rich for me at over $300 with 5 days to run :blink:

Even richer at the finish. I missed out, but not by a whole lot....

In other news and to get this thread back on topic once more....

Gillette ABC Empire Set
Gillette Milord cased set with instructions
Gillette Slim Aristocrat K1 with shipper
Gillette Slim Sun Up Set
Gillette #19 box with UK Richwood(?)
Gillette Rocket HD cased
Gillette Fatboy D4 cased with instructions
Gilllette #15 cased

Wow, how many ABCs have you got? They're really nice looking razors. Where are all the pictures? I've seen the more recent ones you linked here to B&B but I'd like to see some pictures of your now vast collection.

Wow, how many ABCs have you got? They're really nice looking razors. Where are all the pictures? I've seen the more recent ones you linked here to B&B but I'd like to see some pictures of your now vast collection.

Umm, would you believe 15? A lot are not in great condition and I've acquired multiples to make a decent one. I've got to get rid of some soon too and cull the herd.

I'm actually thinking I might take a few days off work, have a good clean of some razors and take some pics. Just can't find the time at the moment on the weekends

For pitys sake, don't let these two blokes loose on B&B. The buy-up fear, frenzy and meltdown they create between them will make the great Tulip bubble of 1637 look like a quick pop down the shops to pick up a carton of milk and a packet of Tim Tams.

You're on the borderline of compulsive behaviour here! It's s good thing Mr Razor lives in Germany otherwise he'd be blitzkrieging you in a jealous rage.

Not sure that there is much borderline about it.......

In my defence there is a range of cases involved including a couple of the rarer leather ones!

I must take a photo one day of the whole lot - but not when my wife is around

........I must take a photo one day of the whole lot - but not when my wife is around

You're not telling me she doesn't know about this! So you and your ten year old son are doing all this behind her back? Man this is getting deep and weird.

You're not telling me she doesn't know about this!

No, no, she knows and is at times very encouraging about some of my great finds. I'm just not sure that she has a full comprehension of the scale involved.....

So you and your ten year old son are doing all this behind her back?

No, he is an innocent bystander who will get an enormous shock when he inherits all of this. His sisters have given me such a hard time I've made it very clear that the collection goes to him. When they realise the value they will be sorry!

Man this is getting deep and weird.

Is it? Maybe I should just head back to B&B where I belong then? Deep? Weird? Beats me

Status
Not open for further replies.