September 2017 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
cmhOIBG.jpg

H.L. Thater Fünf 2 Band SiLVERTiP LE arrived, and what a nice brush it is!

It's a bit late due to a deployment and no internet but this came in the mail the day before I deployed so naturally it came with me and holy shit this brush is awesome!!!!!!! But before I get into that.

RIP Draco this brush was his and I'm extremely thankfull for the opportunity to own it I just wish it was under different circumstances.

But this brush can spring a lather out of thin air I swear. I dare say it even out performs the Simpsons brushes. I know I know I know there's a massive following but seriously I never want to use another brush again!!
Loves it!!
IMG_0322.jpg

@Bozley82 oh wow, that is a beauty very jealous. Very tempted to do this too.
What was the condition of your fatboy beforehand please?
MKm1IqY.jpg

@RustyBlade. It was in pretty good condition to start with. Near identical to the one pictured (which will be making the journey to Jay as well). The blade gap was a little out. The coating gives the razor a completely unique and different feel than original finish. Its hard to explain though.

MKm1IqY.jpg

@RustyBlade. It was in pretty good condition to start with. Near identical to the one pictured (which will be making the journey to Jay as well). The blade gap was a little out. The coating gives the razor a completely unique and different feel than original finish. Its hard to explain though.

So basically it was in mint condition. Was expecting a corroded unplated green and pitted razor. Which I thought was the main reason to gun kote and restore them firstly.
Have a worn and badly aligned Silm with minor plating bites and thought it would be a good candidate for this type of restore. As bad pitting if not smoothed/sanded shows up still after plating but apparently gunkote has a bit more flexibility.
What is stopping me pushing the button is the colour combination as so many options... Aghh.. all too hard.

So basically it was in mint condition. Was expecting a corroded unplated green and pitted razor. Which I thought was the main reason to gun kote and restore them firstly.
Have a worn and badly aligned Silm with minor plating bites and thought it would be a good candidate for this type of restore. As bad pitting if not smoothed/sanded shows up still after plating but apparently gunkote has a bit more flexibility.
What is stopping me pushing the button is the colour combination as so many options... Aghh.. all too hard.

Definitely not mint. It has "blemishes" on the doors, guards and end caps. It doesn't have any pitting. The main reason i sent it to Jay was because i have 4 of them and i want a vintage razor in perfect condition and also want a bit of variety. I love the look of Jays finishes. I would never buy a vintage razor in really bad condition with the expectation that a restorer could fix all the problems. Because most of the time they cant. There is a limit on what they can do.

This is from Jays site,
"Because these are daily use items, and given their age, not every minor ding or imperfection can be removed.

We will never sell a razor that is damaged beyond restoration, but some razors may have minor imperfections that give them character and history. That is, after all, part of the charm of vintage items."

I DONT want minor imperfections. Thats why i buy razors that are in good condition to begin with.

And you're right choosing and colour combination can be quite overwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.