September 2018 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three months on a ship and it's finally here!

1rrhfp.jpg

Looking forward to trying all this. Every smells amazing.

So my Florian set arrived...
kzzHZbvm.jpg

TiUdVQIm.jpg

Unfortunately the aftershave leaked quite substantially.

Upon opening the aftershave I found this...
MicxNqdm.jpg

I don't know if you can tell but the restrictor spout appeared to have a crack in it. At first I thought maybe this is what had caused the leaking but out of curiosity I opened my Suitably Attired Summer I purchased a while back and it had the exact same crack in the restrictor.

Anyways Beard & Blade took care of me and refunded half the cost of the A/S, they also mentioned that this isn't the first issue they've had. Anyone else have a similar issue?

The soap though!!!
Hands down the creamiest most luxurious soap base I have used, absolutely brilliant.
Love this stuff.

kzzHZbvm.jpg

TiUdVQIm.jpg

MicxNqdm.jpg

I don't know if you can tell but the restrictor spout appeared to have a crack in it. At first I thought maybe this is what had caused the leaking but out of curiosity I opened my Suitably Attired Summer I purchased a while back and it had the exact same crack in the restrictor.

Anyways Beard & Blade took care of me and refunded half the cost of the A/S, they also mentioned that this isn't the first issue they've had. Anyone else have a similar issue?

The soap though!!!
Hands down the creamiest most luxurious soap base I have used, absolutely brilliant.
Love this stuff.

All the splashes from APR I have at home has it cracked (Apart of Coolabah, that has another "mouth design"). I realized time ago, and I assume it is intentionally done to improve the flow.

It never happen to me and good to know that Beard and Blade did a great customer post-sale service.

I always think about that, for a company that sells a lot of bottles of these kind that are send trough the post, covering the cap with parafilm would be inexpensive even in the short term and would alleviate this problems

cheers

kzzHZbvm.jpg

TiUdVQIm.jpg

MicxNqdm.jpg

The soap though!!!
Love this stuff.
That's unfortunate, but glad Beard & Blade helped out in some way.
I just had my Florian aftershave delivered to work yesterday (of course on my day off) from these guys and as soon as i opened the bubble wrap bag (the bottle itself was also well bubble-wrapped) i could smell a glorious scent! I was slightly worried after seeing your post earlier, but it appears to have just been residual leakage (if indeed this is a thing?) which i duly rubbed into my neck and face!

If memory serves me correct, i had this same leakage from other bottles sent direct from Dan. Not sure on the "cracked" restrictor as i haven't yet taken the plastic cover off and opened it up. The bit of plastic on the lid - well, it doesn't seem to provide much benefit as it spins freely and provides no seal.

The flow regulators are not cracked, they are purposefully made with the seam so that the flow is regulated and does not pour out unrestricted.

If memory serves me correct, i had this same leakage from other bottles sent direct from Dan. Not sure on the "cracked" restrictor as i haven't yet taken the plastic cover off and opened it up. The bit of plastic on the lid - well, it doesn't seem to provide much benefit as it spins freely and provides no seal.

It is not intended to seal the bottle in any way, shape or form. It is a tamper seal and is placed there for compliance.

Both myself and BNB are upping our packaging game, the handling by Australia post is the culprit here - I have had a number of bottles smashed to pieces recently, the throwing of boxes in and out of trucks is what is causing the leakage as the impact of the bottles hitting the ground is causing the loosening of the caps. This is a serious issue as I do not want to have to increase postage costs by migrating to a different carrier so we are hoping the increased packaging rectifies these frankly concerning developments.

It is not intended to seal the bottle in any way, shape or form. It is a tamper seal and is placed there for compliance.
This makes sense. Just like a tomato sauce bottle :)

the handling by Australia post is the culprit here - I have had a number of bottles smashed to pieces recently, the throwing of boxes in and out of trucks is what is causing the leakage as the impact of the bottles hitting the ground is causing the loosening of the caps. This is a serious issue
Ah the bane of ALL our existences....

You're probably pretty safe but there are lots of crevices in these things and comparatively a straight razor is easy to clean but I have found what looks like blood residue on a clean up of those under the microscope. I like the sound of the boiling water as it will penetrate and get into all the gaps etc and loosen crud up but I haven't been game to subject my TTO's to those extreme temperatures as I have never dismantled one and didn't know if there was any temperature sensitive components inside. Those that have dismantled TTO's report accumulation of gunge inside.
My usual procedure is to clean up as much as possible with soap and warm water then soak in barbicide for 10 minutes. Other threads talk about alcohol as not being as effective as the germ killing is achieved when the alcohol is evaporating so efficacy may not be high as barbicide for the insides of a TTO where evaporation of alcohol may not happen so readily?
I have also found that using an oil like Jojoba or Camelia (something that won't gum up, and not petrochemical based as you're using this instrument on your face) helps to mobilise gunge.
Probably the best method is to dismantle for a thorough clean but I haven't attempted that yet.

I could pull it apart in minutes and clean it if I was inclined & reset any issues with blade gap

Zkbri1Ml.jpg

Baili BT131, apparently a Tech clone supposedly identical to the Razorock DE1. @ under $9 delivered I thought it was worth a try.
Before anyone says why didn't you just buy a tech the answer is I haven't found one for $9 delivered:LOL:
It is identical to the Razorock,meaning the RR is the Baili rebranded. I have the BD191,same head different handle. They are close to the Tech design to untrained eye yet the safety bar sits slightly lower,cap is thinner,baseplate thicker and gap a tad larger.I find it to be a smoother shave than the Tech.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.