Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Yaqi Mysterious Space
Soap: Tabac Original
Razor: Rockwell 6C
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome
Post-shave: A&E Grecian Horse AS

First use of the Grecian Horse AS, all i can say is i absolutely love this scent, not my best shave though, must of been half asleep this morning

45427975952_96ed723448_c.jpg

rhEUjTgl.jpg

Soap: Pb Max II
Brush: 20mm Master Badger
Razor: Gillette I2 Slim (7,5,3)
Blade: Personna Super Stainless (who gave me these?)
Well that was weird. Is it possible when the Slim was replated that they'd reassemble it so the settings are a couple of notches up?
The gap seems larger than on my other Slims and on setting 7 was very aggressive. I had to go back to 3 to tone it down and even then I wouldn't call it mild. Was this a feature of the 1963 Slim?
The Personna performed well, though will need to try it in a more familiar razor to really compare. I expected familiar territory in the Slim so I didn't think a new blade would represent any significant risk.
Ended up with pretty much BBS though was sporting a few weepers and a sore face. The previous owner said something about the razor being too much for him which sounded wrong for a Slim which normally can be dialled down to very mild?

Pre: Warm water, Nico's home brew pre shave oil
Razor: Karve, Christopher Bradley, C base plate
Blade: Astra Green (1)
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron Group Captains Blend

rhEUjTgl.jpg

Well that was weird. Is it possible when the Slim was replated that they'd reassemble it so the settings are a couple of notches up?
The gap seems larger than on my other Slims and on setting 7 was very aggressive. I had to go back to 3 to tone it down and even then I wouldn't call it mild. Was this a feature of the 1963 Slim?
The Personna performed well, though will need to try it in a more familiar razor to really compare. I expected familiar territory in the Slim so I didn't think a new blade would represent any significant risk.
Ended up with pretty much BBS though was sporting a few weepers and a sore face. The previous owner said something about the razor being too much for him which sounded wrong for a Slim which normally can be dialled down to very mild?

Bruce

As I indicated with the eclipse I’ve had some variability between razors - but nothing like that with a Slim (or Aristocrat as this is being the gold plated version)

rhEUjTgl.jpg

All the Slims are listed as the same gap,with the Aristocrats slightly different until setting 9.

Scroll down and gaps are shown:
http://www.gilletteadjustable.com/date-codes.html

Bruce

As I indicated with the eclipse I’ve had some variability between razors - but nothing like that with a Slim (or Aristocrat as this is being the gold plated version)
I think @bald as is on the right track. When looking at the handle end the inner plate starts deep and winds in really deep. It doesn't start flush with handle end. I'd say whoever reassembled after plating didn't put it back to factory specs. The blade gaps are huge (haven't measured but just visual comparison to my other Slims). Not sure whether to worry about it or not. The razor was apparently replated approximately 2 years ago so is still in pretty good condition and if I just run on low settings I'm guessing will be fine for me. Otherwise I'll have to have a crack at dissembling and reassembly to try and refit to spec. It'd be a shame to mess up the gold plating. I'd be more inclined to have a go at it if it wasn't for the gold plating as I'm assuming that will mark a lot easier than the factory nickel plating.
Is there any other indication that this could be an Aristocrat as I had assumed being replated that it was more likely a gold plated Slim?

I think @bald as is on the right track. When looking at the handle end the inner plate starts deep and winds in really deep. It doesn't start flush with handle end. I'd say whoever reassembled after plating didn't put it back to factory specs. The blade gaps are huge (haven't measured but just visual comparison to my other Slims). Not sure whether to worry about it or not. The razor was apparently replated approximately 2 years ago so is still in pretty good condition and if I just run on low settings I'm guessing will be fine for me. Otherwise I'll have to have a crack at dissembling and reassembly to try and refit to spec. It'd be a shame to mess up the gold plating. I'd be more inclined to have a go at it if it wasn't for the gold plating as I'm assuming that will mark a lot easier than the factory nickel plating.
Is there any other indication that this could be an Aristocrat as I had assumed being replated that it was more likely a gold plated Slim?

Yep, it does sound like a change during the replating - although not all places disassemble from what I’ve heard.

The only difference between an Aristocrat and a Slim is the playing. So whether this is a Slim plated gold or an Aristocrat replated in gold would be impossible to know.

I’d call it an Aristocrat though now!

Yep, it does sound like a change during the replating - although not all places disassemble from what I’ve heard.

The only difference between an Aristocrat and a Slim is the playing. So whether this is a Slim plated gold or an Aristocrat replated in gold would be impossible to know.

I’d call it an Aristocrat though now!
Then let it be so........
Gillette Slim, I dub thee Aristocrat of the Pb order. May thy days be long, with close shaves plentiful and gappage constrained.

OK folks, tomorrow morning will be a rush to get back to Sydney for an early meeting and then back to Canberra for late meetings. So no time to post a SOTD.

For those of you missing my 'glamorous' shots of the various hotels I've stayed in I give you tonight's abode -

It even has a basin, and toilet, and shower. All in one compact space -

Didn't think to take a photo of the view - but not sure you want to see the McDonalds car park do you?

OK folks, tomorrow morning will be a rush to get back to Sydney for an early meeting and then back to Canberra for late meetings. So no time to post a SOTD.

For those of you missing my 'glamorous' shots of the various hotels I've stayed in I give you tonight's abode -

It even has a basin, and toilet, and shower. All in one compact space -

Didn't think to take a photo of the view - but not sure you want to see the McDonalds car park do you?
Looks like a shoebox - wtf is with the "open air" closet next to the window??? lol :LOL:

DiLROSJ.jpg

Pre-Shave: @nsavage pre-shave, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Tony Forsyth Platypus Prototype Bob Quinn Manchurian
Lather: Declaration Bandwagon
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Another wonderful shave with the BBS-1/Ladas combo and some stellar Declaration lather.

I hope you all have a fantastic start into the new week (y)

Date: 22 October 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Maseto 2 Band Finest Badger Ivory Beehive 30/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- A&E ~ Barbiere Sofisticato
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Red Tip E1 1959 / Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword #2
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss Intense

2f0b193089.png

Yaqi Timber Wolf
Phoenix and Beau's Star Noir
Blacklands OC Blackbird oxide
Perma-Sharp (2)
Australian Private Reserve's Suitably Attired Summer

Warning up rapidly in Sydney and wanted a floral but masculine wake me up for Monday. With all the buzz on the P&B Star Noir I grabbed it out. Lovely scent, florals, light sweet musk and layered deeper. A very well done scent. Must recommend if you like a multi direction scent though it is not a very masculine scent for some.
To me, sophisticated and intriguing and the girls like it.
The APR SA summer is also a must have. Really impressive combo this morning had all the yummy mummys at daycare drop off turning around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.