Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date: 10 November 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Semogue Special Edition 2012 Badger/Boar knot 24/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk & Lanolin (tallow)
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- GEM G-Bar / GEM Personna SS PTFE Coated #6
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- L'Eau Bleue D'issey Pour Homme

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: The Stray Whisker 2B-Finest Badger
Soap: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Cold Spices
Razor: Merkur 37c slant
Blade: Feather
Post: Omega Alum stick, Proraso eucalyptus and menthol lozione dopobarba

Another 2 pass DFS. The subtle menthol tingle from the PAA Cold Spices soap is very welcome on these hot Darwin build up days. So tempted to shave with this everyday....

Thoughts on the Yaqi Rainbow? Brown fibre and loft feel like? Lather holding etc?
Unfortunately, I don't have much to compare it to, having said that the brown fibre and loft feels good on the face. I prefer the form factor (smaller handle) of the Yaqi sagrada familia.

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Saponificio Varesino Two-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger
Soap: De Vergulde Hand
Razor:Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Vintage NOS Personna P74 Tungsten Steel (12)
Post: CRSW Alcohol-Free American Barbershop Moisturising Aftershave
Scent: Penhaligon's Endymion EdT

Three passes for a DFS+. The tallow-based De Vergulde Hand soap lathers very easily and has a clean soapy scent. The beautiful SV brush whipped up plenty of lather for the three passes.
Finished with one of Penhaligon's more daring fragrances - Endymion. Lovely stuff.

iaCNGezm.jpg

Brush: Vie-Long, Horse/Badger
Soap: MWF
Razor: Gem Damaskeene OC
Blade: Gem carbon
kx0gxDwm.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Thater boar shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soaps Tim Keech Memorial P&C LE shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (6)
Post-shave: Squadron Soaps Tim Keech Memorial P&C LE aftershave splash
Fragrance: N/A

Mighty fine shave

Some photos from the AWM last night, the images on the tree were incredible. They did a very good job. Lest we forget

583u7bAl.jpg

Soap: Soap by Luna - Fauno
Brush: 20mm Master Badger
Razor: Gillette Black Beauty 109 (7&9)
Blade: Kai (1)
Kai is good. Lovely lather.

Along with the 'Menthol and lime' from Elena, 'Fauno' is my favourite of her releases. I find most of the fragrances muddled which is fairly common with all natural blends, these two seem to be minimal enough for them to work. A very good soap base too, not a lot of unnecessary extras.

Along with the 'Menthol and lime' from Elena, 'Fauno' is my favourite of her releases. I find most of the fragrances muddled which is fairly common with all natural blends, these two seem to be minimal enough for them to work. A very good soap base too, not a lot of unnecessary extras.

Fauno was just what I was looking for this morning.(y):) Very glad I purchased a couple of her soaps. I don't think Elena had Menthol and Lime at the time.

Semogue boar, Mitchells Wool Fat, Parker 34R, Polsilver, Witch Hazel, Viet Fougere
A nice and steady shave with two days growth to remove,The Parker and Polsilver handled the job easily for a single pass with a bit of chin buffing as per usual.Feeling clean and smelling good,and the youngest always likes when I shave as the kisses I give her are soft and not prickly.
Been a rough week and looking forward to a better one coming.

Fridays SOTD

vcs8r6.jpg

Karve 'B' w/ Polsilver (1)
Mondial1908 Boar
Declaration Grooming Y/R/P Soap/Splash/EdT

I dunno what happened. But this was a terrible shave. Nothing but irritation. Should of been good, new blade and two days growth. Didn't rush.

This afternoon shave
2pra43d.jpg

Karve 'B' w/ Kai (1)
Mondial1908 Boar
Declaration Grooming Shore Soap and Splash
AP Reserve Bombora EdT sample.

Beautiful shave this time. The Icarus base is my number 1. The scent is fresh but not very strong.

My first run of Bombora. Fresh off the top. I am struggling to pick up the citrus but I have had a flu the last week. An hour later I'm actually getting a sweet smell. It may be the white musk which I'm picking up?

I am done with my phone. It just ruin my sotd pictures, so I have decided to either use the bridge camera, or take no pictures...

Sunday:
Pre: warm water
razor: Timeless scalloped 0.95 open comb / UFO goliath prototype
blade: Bolzano
Brush: CRV 'bipolar' manchurian fan
Soap: AP Reserve Florian
splash: AP Reserve Florian
EdT: AP Reserve Florian

6Cm71k4.jpg

Superb. This brush holds the largest and flattest knot I have had so far. Just three hand lathering and a previous shave and the dead-wet-dog scent is out. Florian just matched perfectly my day.

Last edited:
My first run of Bombora. Fresh off the top. I am struggling to pick up the citrus but I have had a flu the last week. An hour later I'm actually getting a sweet smell. It may be the white musk which I'm picking up?

Tangerine, Cedrat and Meyer Lemon are incredibly sweet notes in the citrus family - so much so I worked some Lime into the accord to add more of a sour, tart depth. They are also very strong (I have used naturals not AC's which is my preference with citrus notes) and noticeable 1-2 hours after the fragrance opens and this is what (presumably) you will be smelling as I certainly can when I wear the fragrance, I get around 6 to 7 hours from the citrus notes which is phenomenal in a fragrance.

The white musk's in Bombora serve two functions, they are first and foremost fixitives (I used 6 different white musk compounds in Bombora) and are also used to add diffusion to the accord, particularly in the heart and top notes where two of the newer compounds I used produce an amplification effect of certain aspects of the top note accord. I would be very surprised if you could detect the musk accord though as part of the fragrance as its a very small percentage of my overall design. You may also be getting the heart note marine accord, it's fairly complex and does have a broad dimensional aldehydic and floral facets, my thinking is you are still experiencing the citrus tops though.

I would also prefer you lay off posting my samples in your SOTD pics, the intention is with samples you get to enjoy them privately and comment on them in public, rather than have them in pictures prior to them being available to everybody :)

Pre: Warm water, Crew oil
Razor: Timeless, S/S, 0.95 Scalloped base plate
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: AP Reserve Florian

Status
Not open for further replies.